VOGONS

Reply 60 of 100, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Computers are like cars:
1900 Ford T-models = Old 1980s Apples and IBMs.
1930-1950 Old mafia Cadillacs = early 1990s max.486.
1950-1970 Ford Mustangs = 1994-1996 max.Pentium 1.

1970-1990 Nissan Sunny, Toyota Corolla = 1996-2001 max.Pentium 3.
1990-2000 cars = Pentium 4
2000-2010 Hybrid cars = Pentium Core2Duo
2010+ Electric cars= Quad cores and such...

Reply 61 of 100, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We reached a point, I believe at the Core 2 Duo age, where cpus became so fast that even today they can still run most web applications and desktop software perfectly fine with minimal impact on performance.

You can say absolutely same things for 386-486 range of computers. Those were very stubborn to die in offices and such. Heck, even 286s were not considered as total junk up to mid-90s - 10+ years of service.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 62 of 100, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone else think decent PCI sound cards will be quite retro? I'm not talking about the deluge of Live cards out there, but actually decent PCI cards were mostly released at a time onboard codecs made them appear unnecessary, but they were actually pretty important pieces of hardware to own.. I am having a lot of trouble securing some of the more decent Terratec PCI hardware, for example.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 63 of 100, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Terratec? Sure, but extremely niche, not anywhere GUS level. Probably some Onkyo cards, ESI Juli@, X-Fi Elite Pro and it's clone.

Reply 64 of 100, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Core 2 argument doesn't really hold up anymore, working in an enterprise setting, in the last year or so I've seen Core 2 fall on its face finally, yea it took it a decade but its getting to slow to be useful for modern web apps or just modern programs. It has a good run, but its now past its expiration date, and it's no longer adequate for real world work scenarios at least in the enterprise sector.

Reply 65 of 100, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Anyone else think decent PCI sound cards will be quite retro? I'm not talking about the deluge of Live cards out there, but actually decent PCI cards were mostly released at a time onboard codecs made them appear unnecessary, but they were actually pretty important pieces of hardware to own.. I am having a lot of trouble securing some of the more decent Terratec PCI hardware, for example.

I had nothing but problems with my old Terratec 1024 PCI soundcard, never worked well with games that used EAX. Hard to see that brand becoming desirable. Gravis Ultrasound (as the The Serpent Rider mentioned) and Yamaha XG cards like the SW1000XG are already desirable, I see Soundblasters becoming more sought after as time goes on.

Follow me on twitter

Reply 66 of 100, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

~please ignore this post, I was in a bad mood at the time I made it.~

Last edited by KCompRoom2000 on 2018-05-07, 05:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 67 of 100, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're not alone in any shape or form. Almost anyone I know who hasn't ditched the PC in favor of a smartphone or tablet (and isn't a hardcore gamer) is on Core 2 (or equivalent) hardware or Sandy Bridge Celerons (which are no better than a Core 2 Duo anyway) especially in shitty AIO form factor. Anything Core i3/5/7 hasn't really depreciated much since it hasn't really entered the 2nd hand market in any significant numbers - it's still in use and considered valuable by those who own it. Core 2 is still in use too but there's way more in circulation making it worth less.

I've been thrifting my hardware for years and even that is drying up since less good stuff is being put out and competition/awareness is increasing.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 68 of 100, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would suggest looking into getting an AM3 Athlon II or Phenom II Pc as a cheap replacement for that Core, they are fairly comparavle to 1st gen Corei

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 69 of 100, by Palladium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I could have just one retro PC setup it would be Pentium 3-1400S: brutally fast and still mostly compatible for Win98 and being relatively rare. I'm not really all that fond of Super7 with bad experiences in its heyday.

On the modern front Nehalem CPUs are well on its merry way of its 10th year of "still viable for modern gaming". Core 2 chips didn't quite managed that.

And also I'm holding on my 4790K forever since its the fastest and last DDR3 platform to support Win 7 100%.

Reply 70 of 100, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Palladium wrote:

If I could have just one retro PC setup it would be Pentium 3-1400S: brutally fast and still mostly compatible for Win98 and being relatively rare. I'm not really all that fond of Super7 with bad experiences in its heyday.

On the modern front Nehalem CPUs are well on its merry way of its 10th year of "still viable for modern gaming". Core 2 chips didn't quite managed that.

And also I'm holding on my 4790K forever since its the fastest and last DDR3 platform to support Win 7 100%.

4790k is not the fastest with full support for Win7 with DDR3. Try LGA2011.

You get quad channel DDR3 support (instead of just dual channel) and you also have up to an Octo-core CPU (Xeon E5-1680v2)

You also have a ton more PCIE lanes... 40 vs 24.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 71 of 100, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Core 2 chips didn't quite managed that.

Overclocked Yorkfield can still manage modern games.

AM3 Athlon II or Phenom II Pc as a cheap replacement for that Core, they are fairly comparavle to 1st gen Corei

They can compete with Core 2 Quad and at best just slightly faster, if overclocking is not considered. But hey, no spectre/meltdown shenanigans.

Reply 72 of 100, by Palladium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IMO, these are the candidates because of first/last-of-its-kind part, relative rarity and notoriety:

-ATI HD3850/4670 AGP GPUs
-Dual GPU on single cards HD6990
-NV 8800GTX 768MB, GTX285, GTX480, Titans
-X58 mobos + LGA1366 6-core Xeons
-Vanity extreme edition chips e.g 980X/990X
-Z77 mobos + 2500K/2600K/3770K
-i7-5775C
-Intel enthusiast platorm CPUs + mobos
-8GB DDR3 DIMMs, esp 2133-2400 speeds
-Phenom II X6s
-Bulldozer FX8150, 9590

Last edited by Palladium on 2018-05-09, 00:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 73 of 100, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can see the Xeon Phi being collectable when better/faster models hit the market.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 74 of 100, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:

Titan Blacks still go for $300 while Titan Zs go for 800-1000$

That's just blatant rip-off or oblivious seller.

I wish it were so, but several months later if you look at the SOLD listings on Ebay they are still in that price range (The Titan Blacks). It's too bad as I'd like to replace my 760GTX 4GB with the Black to have the top Kepler card.

Reply 75 of 100, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm honestly wondering if any current hardware will become retro in the future. Firstly, Windows 7 is very comparable to Windows 10 in it's core, so compatibility issues between the two are pretty much non-existent. As Microsoft said that they are never going to end support for Windows 10, which I highly doubt, then compatibility issues with current games and software should be no problem in the future. 😀

Secondly, the PC evolves way slower than it used to do in the 80s and 90s, so very 'old' hardware from 2006-2010 is still very capable today and components like the Core2Duo and the first generations of Core i3/i5/i7 are still widely being used by home users, businesses and schools and they aren't looking yet for a change. These systems are also very capable of running Windows 10, so people are probably not going to replace them any time in the near future. Compare this to the Pentium III, which was totally useless 12 years after it's release; times have changed! 😊

Thirdly, for me at least the current hardware will never feel the same to me as a Pentium III or older. 😜

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 76 of 100, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm browsing this forum on a Core2 laptop right now 😀

It really is surpring how 10 year old hardware still holds up today. I think it's true that around 2009-2010 we reached a point where CPUs became powerful enough for most common tasks apart from gaming. Even when a machine from that era starts to struggle there are solutions to bring more life into it - for Intel it's the Socket 775 to 771 Xeon mod, for AMD it's the 1st-gen AM3 AthlonII X4 and Phenom CPUs that still have a DDR2 controller.

Reply 77 of 100, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's exactly what I mean! If you want to go really extreme you can even still use a Pentium 4 for your daily tasks, as PhilsComputerLab shows in the following video https://youtu.be/eAdAYeBaz1U?t=1330 😜

I think most people will want at least a Core2Duo or first generation Core i3/i5/i7 though; processors that I think, aren't going to be obsolete any time soon, except for the gaming and video editing department of course. 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 79 of 100, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If those RTX cards become a thing in the future, First ever RTX card model ever and it still supported directx12 might be something people might want in 20 years or so.