VOGONS

Can you still buy AT cases new?

Topic actions

First post, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was browsing ebay the other day and I saw an AT compatible case for sale, brand new in packaging. The price on it left me with some sticker shock, but it got me to thinking. Where did the seller get it?

I was able to find new AT power supplies on newegg and amazon pretty easily, but I can't find a retailer for new AT cases anywhere. Does anyone know of any that exist? Or is the current stock of AT cases out in the wild all that we have?

Reply 2 of 51, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can one mod an ATX case? I figure the ISA slots should fit, right? Using an ATX power supply is a good idea anyway. I guess the ATX I/O plate would have to be made custom, since AT boards usually only have a DIN keyboard connector. Also the mounting screws might be a bit off.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 51, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

7 slot ATX chassis can accomodate an AT motherboard, that's one of their design features. Most screw hole locations match too.
You will have lot of empty space at the top though.

ATinATX.jpg

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 51, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, even in normal AT cases, there were only one or two screw holes. The others holes were for plastic spacers. Assuming that you can always use plastic spacers with ATX cases too, we can say that they can accomadate AT boards quite easily providing that you can find (or produce) a back plate with a keyboard connector hole only.

case_computer_tt968c.jpg

See the injection vial shaped holes?

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 51, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have had trouble finding cases that can accommodate all 8 of my boards expansion slots. It is hard to tell without putting the board in... I am not sure if the PCI slots will line up with the case PCI covers correctly.

Reply 7 of 51, by the Goat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:

I have had trouble finding cases that can accommodate all 8 of my boards expansion slots. It is hard to tell without putting the board in... I am not sure if the PCI slots will line up with the case PCI covers correctly.

All AT, ATX, BTV, etc. motherboard expansion slots conform to the positioning defined by the original IBM AT design. So unless you have a proprietary motherboard, you will be fine.

Reply 8 of 51, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Assemble in a different order.
Place mobo in tray - don't bolt down.
Temporarily install a card at each end of the row of slots.
Line up to back slots.
Put in two mobo hold down screws. (Preferably not close to each other.)
Pull the cards out.
Put in the rest of the mobo screws.
Everything should line up fine now.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 9 of 51, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

>>

Just curious.... what type of boards do you refer to ?

Reply 10 of 51, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

>>

I have a super socket 7 board. In my atx case I have laying around, it isn't proportioned right for the space although the standoffs do line up. It clearly isn't designed for it though... I would have to use a micro ATX power supply and I might have trouble with my 5.25 bay. Not sure. I think the bottom ISA slot would be unusable but it would fit.

As it turns out you can find ATX cases with 8 expansion slots and there is one seller on ebay making backplates with an AT din cutout and room for serial and COMM ports. That looks like the closest thing to a new AT case you can get.

Reply 12 of 51, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
PARKE wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

>>

I have a super socket 7 board. In my atx case I have laying around, it isn't proportioned right for the space although the standoffs do line up. It clearly isn't designed for it though... I would have to use a micro ATX power supply and I might have trouble with my 5.25 bay. Not sure. I think the bottom ISA slot would be unusable but it would fit.

I would like to see a photo of this board.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 13 of 51, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:
PARKE wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

>>

As it turns out you can find ATX cases with 8 expansion slots and there is one seller on ebay making backplates with an AT din cutout and room for serial and COMM ports. That looks like the closest thing to a new AT case you can get.

>>

I may be mistaken but as far as I have seen it is not possible to occupy all 8 slots (or 6 slots on a small board version) on a Super 7. The bottom PCI slot and the top ISA slot are in an either-or relationship/orientation, at least so it seems to me.

Reply 16 of 51, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah it definitely can fit. Although I think the position of the standoffs means I have to choose to use the PCI slot over the ISA slot.... Also because the board is fatter than it is tall, it doesn't fit correctly in every case. My case has a front mounted power supply, and a bigger one doesn't quite fit with the board.

Reply 17 of 51, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can get blank I/O shields for ATX cases for cheap.

All I would need to make AT style shields out of them would be a punch for the correct size hole. I would also probably have to make a holder to hold the I/O shield in the correct place when punching the hole with a hydraulic knockout punch.

If enough people are interested, I wouldn't mind ordering a bunch of plates and making AT plates out of them.

I think with shipping, I could send them out for around $7 a piece (maybe less) and they would be significantly cheaper per shield if more than 1 was ordered.

I would just be looking to cover the price for the punch as well as the shield and shipping.

The more that are wanted, the cheaper I can make them for.

To break even at the ~$7 a piece shipped to the USA, I would need to make about 20 of them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 51, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Yeah it definitely can fit. Although I think the position of the standoffs means I have to choose to use the PCI slot over the ISA slot.... Also because the board is fatter than it is tall, it doesn't fit correctly in every case. My case has a front mounted power supply, and a bigger one doesn't quite fit with the board.

That's why I asked for the photo. - Suspected a shared slot.
That is a standard 7 slot ATX board.

The shared slot counts as one. What they share is the slot on the back of the case.
Both the PCI and ISA in the shared slots lineup to the same slot in the back but you can not use an ISA and PCI at the same time in the shared slots.