VOGONS

486 pc questions.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would suspect the FDD controller but you said same problem with a different controller and FDD.

Given that it seems to me it's got to be something to do with a memory address that only affects floppy drives.
Perhaps a specific 'chunk' of RAM that holds the FDD's driver or handles communications to the FDD.
I'm not good with memory mapping. Hoping someone that is pops in.

Maybe try switching RAM and/or cache chips around to see if something changes.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 21 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I got the PC, only 3.5" floppy drive was connected to the controller, but because I was more interested in having working 5 1/4 floppy drive I disconnected the 3.5" floppy drive and connected the 5 1/4" one before I even turned the computer on for the first time. When I first turned the computer on and saw how the directory listing was messed up on the floppy driver, my first assumption was that the 5 1/4" floppy drive was broken but when I connected the 3.5" floppy drive, the directory listing looked very similar. After that I switched the controller to another to see if that was not working properly, but changing it didn't change anything.

Another mystery is that if floppy drives are not working, how did the seller copy those programs for testing the computer on the hard drive before he sold me the computer since there is no optical drive or signs that the computer would have ever had one.

Reply 22 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you change the settings for the FDD type in the BIOS?

The seller could have removed the drive and put it in a different machine to load it.
That's a common way to do it.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 23 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PCBONEZ wrote:

The seller could have removed the drive and put it in a different machine to load it.

Yeah, I always changed the FDD types in bios when I changed drives while I was testing. The bios looks like it is specific to that motherboard instead of generic one like award or ami bios that most of my motherboards have.

Reply 24 of 66, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

He was talking about the time only.

I don't think the motherboard is bad either.
Maybe RAM, Cache, Cable.

I once had problems with (at least) the floppy. I tried to install dos and it always had read/write problems at the same file. Different cpu different file. I Turned of the cache in the bios and dos installed without a problem. Changed the cache and taddaaa everything works now.
Not really thje same problem but how about disableing the cache or removing it for testing...

Reply 25 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is an easier to follow guide to that controller card.
https://amaus.net/static/S100/JUMPERS/total%2 … c/txt/20464.txt

Reply 26 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McBierle wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

He was talking about the time only.

I don't think the motherboard is bad either.
Maybe RAM, Cache, Cable.

I once had problems with (at least) the floppy. I tried to install dos and it always had read/write problems at the same file. Different cpu different file. I Turned of the cache in the bios and dos installed without a problem. Changed the cache and taddaaa everything works now.
Not really thje same problem but how about disableing the cache or removing it for testing...

Actually that sounds pretty close to this problem.
I vaguely remember a similar situation but that was almost 25 years ago.

Reply 27 of 66, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hm 25y ago, i was between the 386 i got from my brother and the dx4-100 i bought 😀

sorry for ot

edit: with "once" i meant i had this situation a few weeks ago...

Reply 28 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't mean to imply anything.
Your story reminded me of my experience with it but it was so long ago I don't remember the details.

Reply 29 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a similar problem with floppy drives about year ago. I guess the thing is that I don't want the reason for the problem be same as it was back then. Back then I also had a psu that correct voltages and all and still it was that replacing the psu was what fixed the problem.
I don't have that many working AT PSUs that I was looking forward to getting another when I bought this pc, so I hope it isn't the same thing as it was back then.

Reply 31 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
McBierle wrote:

I'm working with atx/at adapters...

I am sure I am going to have to do something like that too some day.
There are some things I can try tomorrow like trying to find another floppy cable to try or unwrap the cmos battery that someone has modded to the dallas chip and see if I have replacement for that or try to connect another psu temporarily or perhaps trying to disable cache.

Reply 32 of 66, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Yeah, I always changed the FDD types in bios when I changed drives while I was testing. The bios looks like it is specific to that motherboard instead of generic one like award or ami bios that most of my motherboards have.

Wait. The board is an EISA board.

IIRC, EISA boards require a configuration utility on a bootable floppy for setting up the interface cards separately from the BIOS settings.

Changing BIOS settings without running the EISA configuration utility afterwards may mean the configuration the cards know doesn't match what the BIOS says...

Reply 33 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:
Wait. The board is an EISA board. […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

IIRC, EISA boards require a configuration utility on a bootable floppy for setting up the interface cards separately from the BIOS settings.

Changing BIOS settings without running the EISA configuration utility afterwards may mean the configuration the cards know doesn't match what the BIOS says...

How does the bootable configuration floppy work when the card in question is the floppy controller?

Reply 34 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
Wait. The board is an EISA board. […]
Show full quote
Baoran wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Does this apply when all the cards on eisa board are isa cards?

Edit: I ran eisa configuration utility on the hard drive. There was only options to change ram settings and add boards to each expansion slots if you have a .cfg file for that board.

Reply 35 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

~ Easter egging ~
If you have a plain ISA floppy controller install that and see if the problem reading the floppies goes away.

Reply 37 of 66, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's not EISA they why do you need an EISA configuration utility?
At this point I'm getting lost.
I probably messed with EISA years ago but don't remember anything about EISA.
I do remember messing with VLB and that went so ~well~ I went out and bought a PCI mobo.

Reply 38 of 66, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PCBONEZ wrote:

If it's not EISA they why do you need an EISA configuration utility?

You don't. Only for EISA cards. EISA is a 32-bit variant of ISA that was mostly used in high-end systems for companies. It is backwards compatible with the 16-bit and 8-bit ISA cards that were found in consumer systems.

The board has EISA connectors, which can take ISA or EISA cards. OP never mentioned the cards that were present were ISA...

At this point I'm getting lost. I probably messed with EISA years ago but don't remember anything about EISA. . I do remember me […]
Show full quote

At this point I'm getting lost.
I probably messed with EISA years ago but don't remember anything about EISA.
I do remember messing with VLB and that went so ~well~ I went out and bought a PCI mobo.

IMHO, it would be nice if the OP would give somewhat more information on the system. He only mentions what chipsets the two expansion cards have, not whether they are ISA or EISA. Do the cards have model numbers or a clear manufacturer name printed on them (or on stickers on the cards)? If so, what are they?
Has he tried replacing the CMOS battery yet? Some BIOSes don't function well with a dead or dying battery.
Has he tried reseating all cables, checked the cable orientation, or checking whether the floppy drives get power properly?

If the system worked for the seller, why doesn't Baoran ask the seller how he got it to work? If the seller meant the system worked before it was put away in storage 25 years ago, then who knows what might have happened to it in the time in between... 😐

Reply 39 of 66, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I assume if I had eisa cards, they would need to be configured using the utility, but since I only have isa cards the eisa motherboard probably works like any other isa motherboard.