VOGONS

The AT cases with built-in stereo speakers thread!

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 78, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-10, 10:20:
Thank you for broadening my horizon with this thread. Didn't even know these existed, let alone in such a variety. Until I came […]
Show full quote

Thank you for broadening my horizon with this thread. Didn't even know these existed, let alone in such a variety. Until I came by this offering on ebay:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/PC-486-retro-Computer … s-/154826245495
palladium.jpg
281 € "for parts or not working" - they appear to be in high demand. (I did not buy that one!)
Did some research on that Palladium, apparently they were sold by German mail order Neckermann.

I did not read all the posts here, but would assume that the audio on all of these machines was abysmal.
And I really would like to have one!

How did you find one on ebay!? I was searching earlier and no matter what I put in I got back either macs (which have built in spekaers), old computers with speakers, just speakers, or things unrelated to any of my search terms. But no PCs with actually built in speakers.

Reply 61 of 78, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2019-08-25, 08:17:

Comaq had a nice all-in-one Presario CDS series This is my CDS 524, a 486DX2/66. I also have have the Pentium 75 variant as well.

One of these is teasing me semi-locally, would be almost a day trip to go get it.

BW-halo:"No, no, no, too much cash, too much gas, not enough space."
BW-horns:"Yessssss, feel the power of the AIO side, look at it, it's perfect."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 62 of 78, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-03-10, 18:52:

How did you find one on ebay!? I was searching earlier and no matter what I put in I got back either macs (which have built in spekaers), old computers with speakers, just speakers, or things unrelated to any of my search terms. But no PCs with actually built in speakers.

Well, as I initially wrote, I did not so much find it as "come by it". Have a search alert for 486 in that category, that's all.
But, I'm not in the habit of buying old machines for 281 €...

I's not going to do you any good in NZ anyway, but I found at least one other for sale here in Germany:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/r … 816218-225-7427
- And to sum up the German description for you: That dude doesn't expect to get any less money for his.

While there was quite some buzz about "multimedia" in Germany back then, the official MPC standard and those multimedia cases were rather unknown. I obsessed quite a bit about the offerings of major OEMs and outlets at the time, but none of them ventured in that area.

So, they're just rare, I'm afraid. My approach on ebay would be to resesarch certain models that were relatively numerous and search for these.
Few people who want to get rid of old PCs appreciate features like these here and include them in the description.

So, if I find one in the junkyard, I'll be happy to schlepp it home, but so far, there are two Highscreen Colani cases waiting to be restored here.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-03-10, 19:51. Edited 2 times in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 63 of 78, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, these sorts of multimedia cases seem pretty rare here too - I think I've only ever seen two. The one I own and another of the same model that some friends of my parents had. So that probably makes restoring the one I have somewhat more worthwhile!

Reply 64 of 78, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mark 1 eyeball is still the best search tool, ppl who care enough to get the model name and numbers right usually want $$$ too. Perfectly formed search strings fail in the face of "Old system unit. Think it was a compact. Might be a pentium, used to have windows but the memory got full." ... when a) it's not a compaq but it's the only computer brand they could think of, b) isn't a pentium, but it's the only CPU type they could think of, c) could have any version of windows from Mac OS thru Gem to Win2003 server.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 65 of 78, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Grabbed my example of case #1 out of storage and it is as I remembered it - yellowed and a bit rusty with both the 3.5" floppy drive and hard drive mounting brackets missing (they were gone when I got the case ~20 years ago). I think a mouse and got inside at some point in the distant past which didn't help its condition. Surprisingly it had a 100MHz Pentium installed in it - guess I must have upgraded it from a 486 at some point. Files on the hard disk are dated 2004 so I guess that's about when I last used it.

The speakers are 5W 4 ohm and magnetically shielded, it has front jacks for headphones and microphone, a volume control knob and a SB/CD button to switch between the sound card and cd-audio.

Photos of the audio bits

speaker-front.jpg speaker-rear.jpg
cone.jpg
One of the cones from behind the speakers. The case is deep enough for these not to interfere with a VLB card but thats about as much space as you get.

input.jpg
On the rear of the case there is a line in and a mic out. On the inside JP6-JP11 are all CD audio inputs of various types. I'm not sure why I had two cables plugged in. The amplifier lives under the powersupply and is mounted to the case by its big aluminium heat sink.

audio-ctl-rear.jpg
On the front is a volume control, mic and headphone jacks, and a button labeled SB/CD to switch between the sound card and CD audio.

Reply 66 of 78, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-10, 20:01:

Perfectly formed search strings fail in the face of "Old system unit. Think it was a compact. Might be a pentium, used to have windows but the memory got full." ... when a) it's not a compaq but it's the only computer brand they could think of, b) isn't a pentium, but it's the only CPU type they could think of, c) could have any version of windows from Mac OS thru Gem to Win2003 server.

😁 Hell, I'd say you've probably delivered the most comprehensive, spot-on representation of the average quality of ebay listings. OK, maybe some more typos and factual errors.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-03-18, 00:57. Edited 1 time in total.

I like jumpers.

Reply 67 of 78, by retro4fun

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all!!
I love this thread! Here s my case, number 6 in the op.
Added photos of my all time favourite game!!

IMG_20220515_185956.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220515_185956.jpg
File size
831.34 KiB
Views
File comment
Alone in the dark second
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_20220515_185908_1.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220515_185908_1.jpg
File size
738.04 KiB
Views
File comment
Alone in the dark
File license
IMG_20220103_202543.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220103_202543.jpg
File size
829.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Multimedia case
File license
Last edited by retro4fun on 2022-05-15, 16:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 78, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am currently rebuilding a 486/66 Palladium Multimedia PC.
How do I connect the soundcard (out) with the built in amplifier (in) correctly?

IMG_20220821_164114 (SVGA).jpg
Filename
File size
196.31 KiB
Views
File comment
486 Multimedia - Back
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 70 of 78, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-08-23, 18:23:

How do I connect the soundcard (out) with the built in amplifier (in) correctly?

You should be able to use a male to male 3.5mm cable and go from either the line out or speaker out of the sound card to the speaker Jack on the case and the same for the microphone. The preamp out Jack would be for connecting to an external amp and speaker setup.

Reply 71 of 78, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-08-23, 18:39:

You should be able to use a male to male 3.5mm cable and go from either the line out or speaker out of the sound card to the speaker Jack on the case and the same for the microphone. The preamp out Jack would be for connecting to an external amp and speaker setup.

You mean somthing like that?

Out-In.jpg
Filename
Out-In.jpg
File size
259.89 KiB
Views
File comment
Out-In / Multimedia case
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 72 of 78, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-08-24, 10:22:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-08-23, 18:39:

You mean somthing like that?
Out-In.jpg

Yup exactly like that.

Reply 73 of 78, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2022-08-23, 18:23:

I have the same case as you could see in the previous posts. Use 3.5mm TRS-TRS cable. Connect "SPK" input to "line out" on the soundcard (unless there is no one, then Speaker out on the soundcard and set the volume knob on the soundcard really low) - like on your picture. Otherwise you can mess up the case's amplifier.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 74 of 78, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Retro-PC: my 1995 Palladium 486DX-66 VLB Multimedia PC plays ... DOOM!
Finally I've got my 486 PC up and running ...
... and it plays DOOM - look at this video 😀 😀

Reply 77 of 78, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here’s one I spotted on eBay several weeks back, that I don’t think has appeared here, almost pulled the trigger. Anyone here nab it?

Attachments

Reply 78 of 78, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ildonaldo wrote on 2023-04-23, 17:06:

Retro-PC: my 1995 Palladium 486DX-66 VLB Multimedia PC plays ... DOOM!
Finally I've got my 486 PC up and running ...
... and it plays DOOM - look at this video 😀 😀

Wow that case is outstanding!

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter