VOGONS

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Live on Kickstarter!

Topic actions

First post, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a CPU collector since 15+ years, I'm trying to keep at least a working platform (motherboard/memory/storage) for every CPU family. I have a lot of 8088/286/386/486 motherboards but I'm still trying to find some rare ones (EISA, SMP, etc.). They all works with the infamous P8/P9 power connectors. These boards are now becoming outrageously expensive, so it often worth the time to fix dead ones (replacing caps, etc.) or at least to avoid ruining them when they're in working condition.

Some weeks ago, I fried a nice 486 motherboard I got in a scrap lot at first boot. Some capacitors were shorted and my ATX PSU, coupled with a regular passive ATX2AT adapter, led to massive damage (burnt traces). That short was not "short enough" to trigger the (very large) PSU overcurrent protection. The motherboard was FUBAR by the time I noticed something went wrong and manually switched off the power (within 3/4 seconds).

So, I created a "Smart" ATX2AT Converter, featuring fully-programmable electronic fuses. I also added a small OLED display for monitoring purpose, a -5V regulator to regenerate that missing voltage (required by some sound cards) and some additional filtering capacitors. The project will ultimately be open-source and can be adapted for any other retro-platform that require -12/-5/+5 and/or +12V.

intro-02s-1024x576.jpg

Much more technical details are available on this page: https://x86.fr/atx2at-smart-converter/

I'll be happy to hear your thoughts and suggestions about this project. 😀

Some friends in the CPU collectors' community already expressed an (unexpectedly) strong interest for that adapter, so maybe some fellow retro-computing addicts here might also be interested. If we're only a few to want one, I'll assembled them manually, but if we're more than a few, I can consider having them built by a fab to reduce costs.

PS: crappy video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eRXQ0c1YZg

Last edited by xsecret on 2019-11-25, 23:09. Edited 3 times in total.

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 1 of 124, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Overkill, especially OLED display. Could be interesting for testing purposes though.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 124, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is pretty awesome.

I wouldn't mid getting at least one... depending on how low the price can go if a lot of people want one or more.

Bare boards and kits would also be an option for quite a few people along with a parts list for those who only need the bare board.

The way I see it, this little board would only really be good for testing purposes. In a build, you would really want a switch on the case.

I currently use the passive ATX to AT adapters with 5v added with the "bulky" power switch which is great for AT cases as you can just swap in that switch on the case in place of the original one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely, it's designed as a testing tool to check motherboards in unknown condition (or expansion cards) and not intended for a "fixed" rig (as soon as everything is running correctly).

PS: the added cost for the OLED display is ~$3. Not really expensive but of course, the adapter can work without one.

ATX2AT Smart Converter - Universal Chip Analyzer - CPU-Z Validator - Engineering Sample Zone

Reply 4 of 124, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also think it's awesome!

One thing that may or may not be important, but I have seen that some of those passive ATX2AT adapters have a dummy load for the ATX 3.3V line since 3.3V is not used in AT units and the unbalanced load could cause problems with some PSUs. Now, I don't know if that is really necessary, but have you considered including it in your design?

In any case, great work, it should be a great tool for a test bench.

Reply 5 of 124, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would totally use one of those for testing.

Seems like a great idea, especially if it's inexpensive. Its also simple enough that I would attempt to build my own if I could purchase a PCB and the parts. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 6 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote:

I also think it's awesome!

One thing that may or may not be important, but I have seen that some of those passive ATX2AT adapters have a dummy load for the ATX 3.3V line since 3.3V is not used in AT units and the unbalanced load could cause problems with some PSUs. Now, I don't know if that is really necessary, but have you considered including it in your design?

In any case, great work, it should be a great tool for a test bench.

Thanks!

The potential crossloads issues are interesting. On very low-end (< $35) or old PSU, you can see some voltage drop or overvoltage when the current consumption between 3.3/5V rails and 12V rail is unbalanced. So you have to place a resistor on the "idle" rail to add some current consumption. On old AT motherboards, almost all the power is drawn on +5V, so if a resistors is placed, it should be placed on the +12V rail. But even on Old or bad quality PSUs, that issue is unlikely to happen with 50W of power drawn. Modern PSU (especially DC-DC ones) are totaly immune to crossload at such low current. Anyway, it will be easy to add a feature on the firmware to check (and shut down) everything if a severe crossload condition is detected (& the PSU is unable to handle it correctly). I can also see if I can add an optional slot for a 5W resistor.

Reply 7 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Seems like a great idea, especially if it's inexpensive. Its also simple enough that I would attempt to build my own if I could purchase a PCB and the parts. 😀

If you can solder them by yourself, I'll be glad to provide a bare PCB. They're not as cheap as "standard" PCBs because I use 2 oz copper, but it will not cost more than $5. The most expensive parts are the current sensors and the SMT fuses w/ holders ($3 ea).

Reply 8 of 124, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xsecret wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

If you can solder them by yourself, I'll be glad to provide a bare PCB. They're not as cheap as "standard" PCBs because I use 2 oz copper, but it will not cost more than $5. The most expensive parts are the current sensors and the SMT fuses w/ holders ($3 ea).

Usually the thing that gets me is the shipping cost of the individual parts, but I'd try it if the total price was still significantly lower than a pre-built.

One thing I just realized though is that there are several surface mount components. I can do some by hand with an iron (I replace those SMD electrolytics all the time on Voodoo cards), but anything that requires proper SMT soldering equipment wouldn't be doable for me.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 10 of 124, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is pretty nice, but it is like killing a mosquito with a flamethrower.
with that being said, i really liked, the only thing that i would add is a header for an external power button.

Reply 11 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

It is pretty nice, but it is like killing a mosquito with a flamethrower.
with that being said, i really liked, the only thing that i would add is a header for an external power button.

That's planned for the final revision 😀

I understand that it may look like overkill, but many decent 486 boards are now selling for more than $100 and some rare motherboards (Nexgen, etc.) can be even more costly. It's time to protect the investment 😎

Reply 12 of 124, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First thought: Great idea. Second thought: Overengineered.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great project. However a 'lite' version would be nice with minimized PCB size and component count. PCB manufacturers like Aisler charge per square centimeter, so the lite version without display could be made much cheaper.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 14 of 124, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like it. Kudos for making this xsecret - and I also like that LCD screen for some visual feedback.
Is there a BOM for the needed parts? I want to build one 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 15 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I like it. Kudos for making this xsecret - and I also like that LCD screen for some visual feedback.
Is there a BOM for the needed parts? I want to build one 😀

Kicad plus BOM would indeed be nice to make our own board.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 16 of 124, by xsecret

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Can you tell me what looks overengineered to you? The $3 OLED screen is optional and doesn't take any PCB space, perhaps the fuses ?

I think this kind of tool is almost useless if you can't trust it 100% to protect your board. It's clearly a luxury tool, only for the 10% of retro-addict who deal with high-value boards (the 90% remaining will be happy with a $3 passive adapter). I only collect Engineering Sample CPUs (check my sig! 😎 ), some worth more than $1000, so It doesn't seem crazy to me to spend $50 to make sure a disaster will not happen easily 😊. In addition, beyond protecting the investment, I also want to protect some invaluable pieces of hardware.

Reply 17 of 124, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xsecret wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Can you tell me what looks overengineered to you? The $3 OLED screen is optional and doesn't take any PCB space, perhaps the fuses ?

I think this kind of tool is almost useless if you can't trust it 100% to protect your board. It's clearly a luxury tool, only for the 10% of retro-addict who deal with high-value boards (the 90% remaining will be happy with a $3 passive adapter). I only collect Engineering Sample CPUs (check my sig! 😎 ), some worth more than $1000, so It doesn't seem crazy to me to spend $50 to make sure a disaster will not happen easily 😊. In addition, beyond protecting the investment, I also want to protect some invaluable pieces of hardware.

Not sure how it is "overengineered".

For effective protection I don't see how it could be made any simpler.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19 of 124, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any news on the progress of manufacturing here? I want to put my 286 in a case now, and would love to have this converter in there as well. 😀

YouTube and Bonus