VOGONS

Mini ATX motherboards for old PC?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:
Little update: I still haven't founf the holy grail of an uATX board with Slot1, ISA and 256Mb mem support, but getting close. […]
Show full quote

Little update: I still haven't founf the holy grail of an uATX board with Slot1, ISA and 256Mb mem support, but getting close.

Haven't closed the deal yet, but I've found two very close approximations:
- MSI MS-6198 (uATX, So370 FC-PGA, Via 694X (ApolloPro133A) chipset and that ISA slot)
- Tyan Trinity 400 (full ATX, Slot1+So370 FC-PGA, Via 694X (ApolloPro133A) chipset and that ISA slot)

Chaintech CT-6VIA5T is also pretty close.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 24 of 34, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Little update: I still haven't founf the holy grail of an uATX board with Slot1, ISA and 256Mb mem support, but getting close. […]
Show full quote

Little update: I still haven't founf the holy grail of an uATX board with Slot1, ISA and 256Mb mem support, but getting close.

Haven't closed the deal yet, but I've found two very close approximations:
- MSI MS-6198 (uATX, So370 FC-PGA, Via 694X (ApolloPro133A) chipset and that ISA slot)
- Tyan Trinity 400 (full ATX, Slot1+So370 FC-PGA, Via 694X (ApolloPro133A) chipset and that ISA slot)

There might be an Intel chipset-based OEM board that may come close. The problem is that manuals for those boards can be hard to find.

Reply 26 of 34, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:
dionb wrote:

Both close, but still no cigar. The 'choose any two' triangle still stands 😢

It's uATX, Slot 1, has ISA, and supports 256 MB RAM. What else..?

256Mb RAM density, not 256MB total RAM.

So you can use/test 256MB 8-chip DIMMs and 512MB 16-chip ones. Only the very last generation of Sl1/So370 chipsets support that (SiS630/635, Via 694X/694D)

Reply 27 of 34, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why is that important? If you want to use the board for building a PC, just use RAM modules that are supported. If you want a board for testing RAM, why care about form factor, CPU etc..?

Reply 28 of 34, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

Why is that important? If you want to use the board for building a PC, just use RAM modules that are supported. If you want a board for testing RAM, why care about form factor, CPU etc..?

I'm looking for a board for testing purposes, to basically be able to test anything P2/P3, so CPU, RAM, VGA, sound - whatever. A one-stop shop to test loads of 'junk' cards I buy.

So:
CPU needs Slot1, to do all CPUs from a P2-233 Deschutes up to a P3-1400S Tualatin (the latter via adapter).
RAM needs to support 256Mb (and x4 "Via Only") chips, so last-gen Via or SIS chipset.
VGA needs universal AGP slot (or PCI)
Other cards need PCI or ISA.

And why form factor? Because space is at a premium and the smaller this system/board is, the better.

The Tyan Trinity 400 ticks all the boxes except uATX, the AOpen MX-64 does all except ISA, the MS-6198 everything except Slot1.

Reply 29 of 34, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just in case anyone is still looking for such board..
Gigabyte GA-6ZMA is almost ok:
440ZX (max 512MB, 2x 256 DIMM)
AGP
3x PCI
1xISA
mATX
Onboard ESS Solo1 audio

Supports Tualatins on regular modded slotkets (I used cherry-picked 1300 @ 1733 MHz) and everything in between.
Owned that board from 2001-2005 as my main rig actually.

Last edited by Paadam on 2019-11-27, 02:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 30 of 34, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you don't know, 440ZX chipset is cutdown based on 440BX.

So 256Mb density is not possible with this ZX chipset.

Another chipset is 815 if there was a slot 1 board but I have not seen one yet.

Keep in mind ATX board is 12" length, while the uATX is 9.6" length. Not much to save on space and suggest go with ATX, and I test bench too. I had never had love for uATX at all.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 31 of 34, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the meantime I have acquired this:

HP-Sherwood-B.jpg

HP Sherwood-B. No AGP slot but onboard Matrox G200 is a good enough compromise for a Slot-1 system and it has an ISA slot. It has Crystal CS4280 PC/PCI and DDMA compatible onboard sound, with CrystalFM and SBPro compatibility and everything. I am particularly fond of this board. Just drop it into a modern low profile mATX case and forget about it, or add to a full height mATX case and add a Voodoo 2 and ISA card for pure bliss. Also 440ZX based.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32 of 34, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote:
If you don't know, 440ZX chipset is cutdown based on 440BX. […]
Show full quote

If you don't know, 440ZX chipset is cutdown based on 440BX.

So 256Mb density is not possible with this ZX chipset.

Another chipset is 815 if there was a slot 1 board but I have not seen one yet.

Keep in mind ATX board is 12" length, while the uATX is 9.6" length. Not much to save on space and suggest go with ATX, and I test bench too. I had never had love for uATX at all.

Cheers,

Lol I know tgis and that's why I said it is almost perfect 😜

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 34 of 34, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pabloz wrote:
i have one of these SOYO and i love it […]
Show full quote

i have one of these SOYO and i love it

440bx , agp, pci, isa
and supports up to 600mhz only pentium3

its my main pentium3 retro pc.

SY-6BB.jpg

That is baby AT though not mATX.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.