VOGONS

First post, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi 😀
here's my problem.
I'm currently using a 486 dx4 that i found in an old basement.

suprisingly well protected, that thing survived all those years waiting down there.
at first i did had some troubles since i wasnt aware about those Dallas real time clock stuff. (thanks for all info in these forums)
i changed it and everything is going fine without having to do much.

recently i found a 5-1/4 floppy drive. having only a 3.5" drive, i was pretty happy to have the other size. (still have some games here)
BUT ....i just noticed that the bios is not saving my floppy 5-1/4 drive infos....it always get back at 3.5" for A:
even if i put the drive on B: it still erase the setup back to main previous one.

so now .. without plans and some jumpers everywhere on the mobo.. i was a bit in a pinch to guess and try
and i finally found the plans online ! (what a LUCK)

but despite trying with better infos.. it still wont save. Could it be my Dallas real time not saving ?
anyway. if somebody has a better information about what i could try or should do. here is the webpage to check my Mobo
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/I/IN … IC-PCI-LPX.html

both floppy drives were tested in another pc and worked fine. so its working. but only 3.5" is working in A: for 486 strangely

Any help is welcome 😀 and thanks to everyone taking the time to answer.

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!

Reply 2 of 2, by escarioth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes i know.

but back on bios settings...despite putting a 5-1/4 floppy drive and selecting it in the menu for letter A:
by disconecting the previous 3.5 floppy drive....after i restart everything is already back to previous setting...

if i let floppy drive 3.5 on letter A: ( at the end of the connector) yes the drive works..
it was working before....but then i install floppy 5-1/4" drive on letter B: and put settings back on bios...
and upon restart its all back at previous setting wich is....3.5 drive on letter A: and nothing else.

im pretty sure problem is about saving my setup on bios....
i got some jumpers to move around but im a bit lost on steps to do .

even if they're old....those old dos games are still the best!!!