VOGONS

First post, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm looking for a floppy or CD-based program that will allow me to make an image of my entire hard drive to a USB stick, and restore it when necessary.

A free solution would be preferred, but if it works well I'm willing to consider paid software.

It needs to be compatible with my Socket 7 motherboard (AMD K6-2 CPU) and use a USB drive to store the backups.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Free: Clonezilla
Maybe free: Acronis True Image (payware, but there is a WD Edition that is free if you own a WD disk).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 9, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote:

Free: Clonezilla
Maybe free: Acronis True Image (payware, but there is a WD Edition that is free if you own a WD disk).

Tried Clonezilla, not compatible with my CPU. Even the old 486 version said it needed a feature my processor doesn't have.

And looking at Acronis' website, it doesn't appear to support the FAT file system nor am I seeing any results for 486 CPU compatibility.

Reply 3 of 9, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

can you boot an old linux cdrom and just dd the hd to usb stick?

what I do with my SS7 box is remove its CF card, stick CF into my linux box and DD the image... (a great reason to use CF cards in retro builds!)

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 9, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote:

can you boot an old linux cdrom and just dd the hd to usb stick?

what I do with my SS7 box is remove its CF card, stick CF into my linux box and DD the image... (a great reason to use CF cards in retro builds!)

Maybe? I've only used that tool to clone drives, not make backup images

I use CF cards so I can swap OSes more easily.

Reply 5 of 9, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For old hardware and driver/configuration questions ask in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 9, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote:

What's about Norton Ghost?

The early versions might work, but I don't see them for sale anymore. 🙁

It occurred to me that since I'm using CF cards to swap OSs, I can easily image them using Win32 Disk Imager on my Windows 10 machine.

Doesn't have the nostalgic feeling as a real backup utility from the era I'm trying to recreate, but it will work.

Thanks guys.

Reply 9 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tried LSoft Technologies Active@ Disk Image 2.1 for DOS which is free

http://www.disk-image.net/downloads/disk_img.zip

- AT compatible CPU with 386 or greater processor
- BootDiskCreator.exe - Boot Disk Creator utility. Use it to make a floppy or USB flash bootable disk containing free Disk Image for DOS software.
- disk_img.iso - Bootable ISO image for CD. If you want to boot from CD, burn this image to a blank CD and boot from it (contains free Disk Image software).
- disk_img.exe - DOS executable. Run it directly in DOS environment.
- dos4gw.exe - Auxiliary component for disk_img.exe
- disk_img.pdf - User Manual in PDF format
- license.txt - End user license agreement