PC tower cases by year

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 223, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Michus_pl wrote on 2021-12-23, 15:20:

Could You please write the brand/model/type of that pc case with RED Mhz?

Unfortunately there's no mention of a brand here, as is usual with these Taiwanese noname cases.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 141 of 223, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know what would be a good spotters guide? The ad that used to appear in Computer Mart in the UK in the 90s, printed sideways (landscape) huge selection of chaiwanoreanese cases.

edit: Think it was in the UK editions of PC World (PCW) when it was as thick as a phone directory, back when phone directories were a thing, and thick.

editII: That was also, probably a better source, glossy, higher quality print, rather than newsprint quality that might be going crumbly and yellow.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 142 of 223, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's also Computer Shopper, nearly tabloid sized, and typically oh half as thick as a metropolitan phone book. The last year or so they shrunk it to normal magazine size. I remember everyone making a big deal of an ad with a sub 1000$ (995$) 386-sx with a mono monitor. I want to say 1989-1990. Does that sound right? It likely wasn't nor do I recall it being a tower. But desktops are cool also.

Reply 143 of 223, by Tandy1000TL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-02-23, 11:06:
That case is as generic as they come - I've seen examples from all over the world on these forums so I guess that design was cop […]
Show full quote
zyphlar wrote on 2021-02-23, 10:11:

Any ideas about this case?

That case is as generic as they come - I've seen examples from all over the world on these forums so I guess that design was copy-pasted everywhere. The OP of this thread includes a couple 😀

They vary in quality too of course, the one below (mine) is well made, but I have another that's light weight and generally pretty awful.

P1060157.jpg

I have been looking for this case for ages. The first images weren't quite right. This one is it. I remember getting it as a 486SX-33 at Harvey Norman for $2k back in the day. It is the only case I couldn't remember how it looked, until this thread! 🤣

Tandy 1000TL, 486DX4-100, IBM Aptiva K6-233, P2, P3, P4, C2D
MP32L, MT32, SC55-MKii, SC-8820, Integra-7, MotifRackES, MU80, MU500, etc.
SB 1.0, Snark Barker, SB1.5, SB Pro, SB16, Awe64, Adlib Clone, PAS16, etc.
X2GS, S2, MCCake, Orpheus, BlasterBoard

Reply 145 of 223, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone recognise this case? I’m in love. It was just posted by x86dreams https://www.instagram.com/p/CYpknqOMu8 ... =copy_link:

Attachments

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 146 of 223, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a very standard generic baby AT case from Taiwan, used by a lot of small computer builders at the time. Don't expect miracles, but the cheap cases from that time are usually still 100x better than cheap modern cases..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 147 of 223, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2022-01-13, 06:14:

Does anyone recognise this case? I’m in love. It was just posted by x86dreams https://www.instagram.com/p/CYpknqOMu8 ... =copy_link:

It's a nice case. I have what seems to be a big tower version of it. It has no branding on it so difficult to tell. Would trade it for the mini-tower version any time of the day 😀

https://imgur.com/h8bKtAT

Reply 148 of 223, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-13, 06:45:

It's a very standard generic baby AT case from Taiwan, used by a lot of small computer builders at the time. Don't expect miracles, but the cheap cases from that time are usually still 100x better than cheap modern cases..

I'll admit I wish I'd held on to my old NYCE mid tower atx case I got in 2001. Maybe it was a full tower, but not as big as the Antec soho cases. Anyway, it was nice and strong. And on the heavy side I would imagine.

Come New Years Eve 2017. Newegg had a deal on an uber basic Raidmax mid tower. 12.09$ in total after the mail in rebate. The metal is sooooo thin. The case is sooooo lite. It just sits there in the closet most of the time, I have had 1 or 2 mobos installed for short spans. It remains as a spare, as I've come across other good deals on full e-atx towers. But there's something to be said about cases that don't break your back when moving them around. Strangely I was led to believe the quality of the tapped screw holes was so much better then all of the other cases I own. But maybe it's on account of the thinness of the metal?

Reply 149 of 223, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tandy1000TL wrote on 2022-01-07, 17:49:

I have been looking for this case for ages. The first images weren't quite right. This one is it. I remember getting it as a 486SX-33 at Harvey Norman for $2k back in the day. It is the only case I couldn't remember how it looked, until this thread! 🤣

Yes that's a nice case. I picked up another similar one recently - this is the more common style in my experience but any decent AT tower is getting rare these days sadly. Something I've learnt over the years is that these generic boxes were apparently just cloned all around the world. Same design and the screws might even line up, but the quality depends on whatever local company was doing the cloning. Some are decent, more often than not they're pretty awful. Cheap plastic and paper thin metalwork.

This one isn't too bad and cleaned up well with some TLC:

at tower.JPG
Filename
at tower.JPG
File size
60.25 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 150 of 223, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That was my first computer case back in 1993.
I purchased it from a computer component store in Silicon Valley.
These where very popular inexpensive cases back then.
It costs about $35 new back then.
Not sure what model number it is.
But it did come with a PSU.

Mine was built with a 486dx-33 back in 1993.

This case is NOT very easy to work with however.
It only has two bays for small low profile hard drives
And its hard to fit drives into.
But it is made if thick sheet metal not cheap thin sharp sheet metal that cuts your fingers.

Reply 151 of 223, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once found a Cyrix M2 unit on the side of the road with a similar case. Many were similar to that. It was just a very cheap basic computer, probably found it between 02 and.04. Couldn't beat the price. I already had multiple computers at that point, including laptops. I always had a fondness for that one though. Between you and me I think I loved the price.

It's not like I never find computers on the road anymore. Just not many. Jersey people are notoriously cheap bastards, and rarely throw out anything of "value". Much less give anything away.

Reply 152 of 223, by kolmio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2022-01-13, 07:25:

It's a nice case. I have what seems to be a big tower version of it. It has no branding on it so difficult to tell. Would trade it for the mini-tower version any time of the day 😀

https://imgur.com/h8bKtAT

Bigger version looks way better IMO (not to say Baby version looks bad).
Its height gives enough space for vertical stripes, they are gorgeous here.
Reminds me of some old-style skyscrapers 😀

Windows 95 | Chaintech 486SPM M102.A | AMD-X5-133ADW or Am486DX4-100 | 48MB SIMM FPM | ATI Rage 3D II+DVD | CT4100 | 8GB CF

Windows 98 | Acorp 6BX86 | Pentium II 450 | Matrox Millennium G450 | SoundForte SF16-FMI-03 | 32 GB MicroSD

Reply 153 of 223, by kolmio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chris2021 wrote on 2022-01-14, 12:18:

It's not like I never find computers on the road anymore. Just not many. Jersey people are notoriously cheap bastards, and rarely throw out anything of "value". Much less give anything away.

Interesting.
I found a PC on the road once, besides garbage boxes. The case was open. I felt disgust to bring it home =) only took RAM sticks from it.

Windows 95 | Chaintech 486SPM M102.A | AMD-X5-133ADW or Am486DX4-100 | 48MB SIMM FPM | ATI Rage 3D II+DVD | CT4100 | 8GB CF

Windows 98 | Acorp 6BX86 | Pentium II 450 | Matrox Millennium G450 | SoundForte SF16-FMI-03 | 32 GB MicroSD

Reply 154 of 223, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found an Asus Essentio a couple years ago. It was open also, ram sticks strewn about inside. No hard drive. I put it in the trunk, wiped it all down with ammonia. Blew the dust out. It worked marvelously.

Reply 155 of 223, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found one of my first PC's in an old photo, can anyone shed some light on what model it was? Maybe an AT case? Made a quick MSPaint too

Attachments

• Maybe AT case.jpg
    Filename
    Maybe AT case.jpg
    File size
    75.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 156 of 223, by jammaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Need to find this exact model of case:
http://theangel540.free.fr/Aware.jpg

A so curious case with a rotary power button!
Base for early Alienware models (end '98).

Not a superflower, adtronic, inwin ...
🙁

Reply 157 of 223, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jammaster wrote on 2022-03-26, 08:13:
Need to find this exact model of case: http://theangel540.free.fr/Aware.jpg […]
Show full quote

Need to find this exact model of case:
http://theangel540.free.fr/Aware.jpg

A so curious case with a rotary power button!
Base for early Alienware models (end '98).

Not a superflower, adtronic, inwin ...
🙁

Elan Vital T10

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 159 of 223, by m1155

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I have this computer since mid 90's and never seen a picture of the same model and don't know the brand or manufacturer.
Does anyone know more about it ?

Case2.jpg

Case1.jpg

Recently i want to make it run, cleaned and checked some stuff. During it's first run there was some smoke so i turned it off. After a second run no smoke but there was no video signal.
Exually i guess the power supply is damaged. Since i am not that good repairing electronics i am looking for a replacement power supply.
Does anyone know where i can find this model or one that suits ? There is one little black and red cable to the numeric display of the case, i can imagine this it not one any power supply?

Voeding-suntek-PC.jpg