VOGONS

Reply 260 of 288, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried the GA-586UX BIOS on several HX mainboards (same super I/O etc.) but it never worked.

On the 586DX the 1st of the PCI-slots shares IRQ with the onboard SCSI chip even if onboard SCSI is disabled.
The last PCI-slot is "slave only" and restricted to add on cards that comply with this (virtually none).

So even when onboard SCSI is used (which is a good idea anyway) and video and ISA PNP sound are present adding a NIC gets you into trouble. WIndows 2000 manages to solve the problems, but under NT 4.0 that I´m running on this board, I couldn´t find a way to run any(!) NIC - ISA or PCI - 100% stable so far.
As soon as large files are transmitted the NIC will fail to work after some time.

Reply 261 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 06:40:
I tried the GA-586UX BIOS on several HX mainboards (same super I/O etc.) but it never worked. […]
Show full quote

I tried the GA-586UX BIOS on several HX mainboards (same super I/O etc.) but it never worked.

On the 586DX the 1st of the PCI-slots shares IRQ with the onboard SCSI chip even if onboard SCSI is disabled.
The last PCI-slot is "slave only" and restricted to add on cards that comply with this (virtually none).

So even when onboard SCSI is used (which is a good idea anyway) and video and ISA PNP sound are present adding a NIC gets you into trouble. WIndows 2000 manages to solve the problems, but under NT 4.0 that I´m running on this board, I couldn´t find a way to run any(!) NIC - ISA or PCI - 100% stable so far.
As soon as large files are transmitted the NIC will fail to work after some time.

Have you tried the modified bios from Jan?
Yo have troubles even when using isa slots for both audio and Nic?
I do not plan to use the scsi controller because of the 8GB limitation. So one pci will be used for an ata100 card as it seems there is no other solution.

Last edited by Mamba on 2023-03-17, 07:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 263 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 07:03:

Will do.
Maybe IRQ routing can be optimized manually this way.

Please report!
Be advised, the bios is for 2A revision.
Not sure it can harm as I am using the 3.43 and the difference is on the better multiplier handling and the raid port (apart from the absence of usb headers)

Reply 265 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 09:31:

Here is the 3.43 version with all options enabled:
5DXA.7z

Great,
Did you test it? Any improvement?
8GB limitation still there?

Reply 266 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 09:31:

Here is the 3.43 version with all options enabled:
5DXA.7z

Tested the 2.40, all ok but the usb seems to be still disabled, even if during post the controller is visible and with an assigned IRQ.
I really do not understand.
Maybe the pinout is proprietary?
I fail to find a scheme.

Reply 267 of 288, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would recommend don´t use the chipset USB here, all the EV protection components are missing. One static discharge / surge at the USB connector and the southbridge can be toast.
My 3.43 is running fine but I havent found the time to experiment with different IRQ settings yet.

Reply 268 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 17:01:

I would recommend don´t use the chipset USB here, all the EV protection components are missing. One static discharge / surge at the USB connector and the southbridge can be toast.
My 3.43 is running fine but I havent found the time to experiment with different IRQ settings yet.

I can agree, but I do not see a better circuitry on ga-586… boards that have functional usb.
In any case, if IRQ routing is better would be paramount.

I am waiting for a 40 pole cable to install win2000 on it, incredibly I have ultraATA cables only and my sata adapter won’t work with this board.

Reply 269 of 288, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
majestyk wrote on 2023-03-17, 17:01:

Any update?

Reply 270 of 288, by Adriand1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I have such a board, the manufacturer is unknown, for the SUNTAC ST62C303-A chipset. I found a very similar one in the database, I noticed that there is no BIOS. I made the "AWARD V3.1c" damper. I don't know if it's the same board, mine has more chips. I am asking Admin to verify and add to the database.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknow … -286p#downloads

Regards, AdrianD

Attachments

Reply 271 of 288, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, your board is not missing any chips. I have renamed the page since we now have a manufacturer name
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/protech-suntac-286p

Reply 272 of 288, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got ALR JUGA1486 system based on ALR EXPRESS VL platform.
Like on most brand PC's of 90's BIOS SETUP utility moved to hard drive. Is there any way to recover SETUP form hard drive and then reuse it on other hard drives?

Attachments

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 273 of 288, by Blank_Redge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There appears to be an error in the phoenix bios file. Looks like it only has the odd (high) data and is missing the even (low) data. Also the data is aliased twice in the BIN file, data from x8000 to xFFFF is a mirror copy of x0000 to x7FFF. This board uses 2 ROM chips, both are 27C256. The even data is in the ROM closest to the KBC and the odd data is in the ROM next to the first ISA slot. Looks like someone just copied the ROM by the ISA slot and assumed it was 64K when in fact it was only 32K (hence the aliasing). Furthermore, the chipset is HT18/(A or B), not a HT21A.

Reply 274 of 288, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

#121 386

erocdraH_XAM wrote on 2023-12-25, 16:53:
This is a variant of the motherboard of the Multitech / Acer MPF-PC 1100-16 The series were one of the first 386 models next to […]
Show full quote

This is a variant of the motherboard of the Multitech / Acer MPF-PC 1100-16
The series were one of the first 386 models next to the Compaq 386 and they were manufactured at least for demonstration and exhibition purposes before the end of 1986.
My even older board has Multitech at the bottom left of the 1100/16 label. At that time this was covered with a layer of white varnish and ACER lettering. This shows that there was excess stock from 1986 before the renaming from Multitech to Acer. Both motherboards in my possession have the same bios version.

As in the original version, this is the 386 with 16 Mhz but without the 387 processor

Acer has fitted 1024Kb plus parity RAM on the board

Acer has listed the lower of the two memory expansion cards for expansion in the Technical Reference Manual

here is the view of the bios ( CTRL-ALT-ESC )

Nice ! Shows how backward early 386 were of that era compared to a few years later. I bet that performs worse than a later model 286-12 with real simms 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 276 of 288, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanJammer wrote on 2024-01-28, 11:52:

VGA BIOS Image collection has been established: VGA Video cards - BIOS image collection

Maybe a good idea to add the ramdac (if seperate) to the description.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 277 of 288, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HanJammer wrote on 2024-01-28, 11:52:

VGA BIOS Image collection has been established: VGA Video cards - BIOS image collection

I've been hoping something like this would pop-up.

weedeewee wrote on 2024-01-28, 12:14:

Maybe a good idea to add the ramdac (if seperate) to the description.

I strongly agree, especially if the photo uploaded of the card doesn't have a visible RAMDAC part number.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 278 of 288, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have 3 Diamond Stealth 3d 2000 pci (S3 Virge 325 based) and each has a diff bios version (1.03, 2.03 and 2.14), will post them as a single combined post when I have time.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 279 of 288, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dont know where else to post...seems not to be listed in theretroweb:
IPOX IP-4GVI22

Filename
IP-4GVI22-31.zip
File size
321.18 KiB
Downloads