VOGONS

Mystery 486 Motherboard

Topic actions

First post, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello [vintage] World! Long-time reader, first-time poster. Love the show.

I'm building a 486 PC using a motherboard I picked up about ten (10) years ago and I can't find any information about it at all! It has no brand name on it and the model number turns up nothing when I Google it. Here is a picture. Anyone?

20180604_183541.jpg
Filename
20180604_183541.jpg
File size
1.54 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 23, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More information: In particular, I can get it to post with an ISA VGA card in it. But I can't get any video from my nifty VLB card. I am betting there is a jumper I need to set to use the VLB slot, but I have no idea which one it is and I am afraid to start moving stuff around without a manual or some other guidance.

Reply 3 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weird. It has a model number, but nothing can be found with search engines.
Interestingly, it uses the rather uncommon OPTi 498 chipset. I don't really know that there's anything particularly special about the board though, except for the OPTi local bus slot.

Are the jumper settings necessary? It looks to be a pretty basic board without many jumpers on it. I doubt the manual would reveal much of interest.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 23, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but there are so few jumpers, you can generally figure them out by trial and error.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 23, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to emphasize the point, a VLB card must be installed into a VLB slot. Your board has no VLB slots. Your board seems to have an OPTi Local Bus, but there are very few of these.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 7 of 23, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yup. Thanks for the correction. It's been so long since I've worked on one of these that the brown color threw me off. Lucky I didn't fry the board. I slipped a VLB video card into the slot and it fit just fine. But yes, I see now.

Reply 8 of 23, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are there any other owners of OPTi localbus systems around?
I own a Galaxy local bus board using the same EISA Connector for its proprietary local bus. It is probably OPTi 498 based as well and came with an S3 based video and a DC880 caching controller.
Am I right these things are quite rare? Never came along another one for years.
These local bus cards were often sold as EISA-cards, but probably trashed due to the fact they will not work in an EISA slot. So the matching cards will be hard to find.

Reply 9 of 23, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Opti Local Bus video cards appear to mostly be Tseng ET4000 based. There was never a Tseng EISA card made, plus the cards are usually labelled LOCAL BUS on the PCB.

http://vgamuseum.info/media/k2/items/cache/91 … fe8d09d4_XL.jpg

Reply 10 of 23, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NJRoadfan wrote:

The Opti Local Bus video cards appear to mostly be Tseng ET4000 based. There was never a Tseng EISA card made, plus the cards are usually labelled LOCAL BUS on the PCB.

http://vgamuseum.info/media/k2/items/cache/91 … fe8d09d4_XL.jpg

Are you shure? Seems as there are at least two ET4000-EISA described on this page:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/EISA_1.html

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 12 of 23, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am told that this Tseng Labs ET4000AX card is an EISA board. I have it right here.

20180608_095553.jpg
Filename
20180608_095553.jpg
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 23, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Tseng card is Opti Local Bus. Note the silk screened LOCAL BUS text near the edge connector.

The motherboard itself does not have an EISA BIOS on it either. AMI used a gold sticker on EISA boards and clearly stated it was a EISA BIOS on boot and the BIOS label. Also, EISA boards usually do not have a single EISA slot. All the slots would accept EISA cards with the exception of HiNT Ceaser chipset boards, which use a dumbed down 3 slot implementation of EISA. Not to leave out the obvious but, the OPTi 82c498 isn't an EISA chipset.

brostenen wrote:

Are you shure? Seems as there are at least two ET4000-EISA described on this page:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics-cards/EISA_1.html

One of the cards is the card pictured above and clearly states that it is "local bus". The 2nd card has wait state configuration jumpers, something a real EISA card wouldn't have.

Reply 16 of 23, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

having read the above I'd say go for it BUT also be prepared for something to go wrong and have a dead mobo or vga in the end...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 17 of 23, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NJRoadfan wrote:

The motherboard itself does not have an EISA BIOS on it either. AMI used a gold sticker on EISA boards and clearly stated it was a EISA BIOS on boot and the BIOS label. Also, EISA boards usually do not have a single EISA slot. All the slots would accept EISA cards with the exception of HiNT Ceaser chipset boards, which use a dumbed down 3 slot implementation of EISA. Not to leave out the obvious but, the OPTi 82c498 isn't an EISA chipset.

Maybe it is indeed an OPTi local bus slot and the "EISABUS" marking in the slot is just due to them using slots that were originally intended to go into EISA boards but were repurposed? After all, it seems to be physically identical to an EISA slot so it wouldn't be surprising if they reused some leftover slots in this case.

Reply 18 of 23, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would personally look up the pinouts for OPTI LOCAL BUS and EISA before you turn anything on. I remember hearing about motherboards or graphic cards getting destroyed by putting EISA cards into an OPTI LOCAL BUS slots. I also recall that the physical connector for OPTI LOCAL BUS and EISA are the same, yet the technology used is different, and they are thus incompatible. My guess would be that the motherboard manufacturer could only find the slots which said EISA on them, or didn't know they would say EISA on them when they were ordered and went ahead and used them anyway. If it was me, I would have dremelled out the EISA word on the slots before installing them. But that extra work costs.

EDIT: Another way to look at the situation is if you absolutely do not care about this hardware and aren't interested in looking specs up, then fire up the board with your finger on the power button. But be mentally prepared to never use this hardware again.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 19 of 23, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelmischief wrote:

What say you now?

20180608_125245.jpg

Graphics card: OPTi Local Bus
Motherboard: OPTi Local Bus

You have to ignore the EISABUS on the socket.
EISA and OLB use identical sockets. They are even in the same position of the motherboard.

To distinguish there are a few hints:
EISA boards usually have more than 3 EISA sockets.
OLB boards usually have not more than 3 OLB sockets.
OLB boards use ISA chipsets and ISA BIOS, EISA boards use special chipsets and BIOS.
Your OPTi 82C498 is an ISA chipset, not an EISA chipset.
Your BIOS is an ISA BIOS, not an EISA BIOS.

And I never have heared about an ET4000 for EISA.