VOGONS

Mystery Card

Topic actions

First post, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an ISA card here that I can't seem to get working. And, to be honest, I'm not entirely sure what it is. I see it has FD and HD headers and, presumably, a serial port and a couple of PS/2 ports. But still...anyone have any idea?

Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Serial.jpg
Filename
Serial.jpg
File size
928.25 KiB
Views
File license
Connectors.jpg
Filename
Connectors.jpg
File size
1 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 11, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like it's a complete PC on an ISA card. There is an AMD 386SX CPU on there, and also a BIOS chip, memory, an Opti chipset and everything. The empty socket is probably for the 387SX coprocessor.
It is probably some sort of industrial PC card, supposed to be installed in some kind of ISA backplane case.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 11, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have some card like that with a 286 and another one with 8088. I should try to make them work someday : I have the backplate that came with the 286, all I need now is probably to remove the tantalum caps as I think they're making a short circuit

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also don't count on this being an ISA connector. I mean pin-wise it may physically fit, but there's a strong chance that it's not electrically compatible with an ISA slot. Which in its turn means that you can damage the card by inserting it into one.

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed a dump of that BIOS would be nice. I think I have a 386SX board based on the same OPTI 82C291 chipset...or maybe it's the 293. Either way, that SBC is nice because it has 64kb cache, a rare feature on a 386SX.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

where are you located pixelmischief ?
I can both dump the BIOS and test the card in a SBC backplane 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website