VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
My HDD died when it was in my closet for 2 years after last use.
It was a Xbox 360 S HDD(2010) and stored vertically and all my saves, games and such disappeared.
Now the HDD is unreadable and just ...starts, stops..., ...start stops..., ...start stops... when connected to PC.

I have many PC 3.5" HDDs that are over +22 year old and still working.

The Xbox 360 S HDD was 2.5" Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320GB (year 2010).

- I read it has problems with pealing disc layers.
Seems 5400.6 is as bad as Hitachi "Deathstar" HDDs from early 2000s.

Any Xbox 360 S / E users here what is the best and most reliable HDD to use on it ?
Live support might soon end with Xbox 360(2006) and the downloadable content will then disappear once for all from online.

Reply 1 of 5, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All depending on how flexible the Xbox 360 is with taking random hard drives of course. From what I know, changing the hard drive in an xbox 360 is a pain.

That said, I would say that a good quality SSD is the best option, least likely to fail.

Reply 2 of 5, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm confused too some say all 2.5" HDDs can be used in it max.500GB.
But people only seem to use WD Scorpio(Blue) or Seagate Momentus. Usually 320GB size.
- Toshiba seems to be unrecognized.

I ordered from China ebay some ready made 35$usd 500GB Xbox 360 S HDD enclosures.
Also ordered empty plastic Xbox 360 S enclosures for DIY HDDs

Format guide online:
https://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how-to/inst … -money-0132294/

Reply 3 of 5, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I understand, the XBOX software is stamped to the serial code of the hard drive it is installed on, thus you can't just buy a hard drive off the shelf and drop it in like you can with a playstation 3.

Reply 4 of 5, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
user33331 wrote:

... Seems 5400.6 is as bad as Hitachi "Deathstar" HDDs from early 2000s.

Yeah, no. There has since been nothing comparable to the Hitachi IBM Deskstar 75GXP fiasco of ~2001.

That said, it is possible for HDD magnetic media to slowly degrade and develop bad sectors while a drive is in storage, only manifesting when powering the drive up and trying to read/write affected areas of the disk(s) (which could also include the "service area" that the drive requires to fully initialize). Possibly this is what happened to your HDD.

Reply 5 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Xbox 360 as of the latest dashboard updates can use external usb 2.0 hard drives of up to 500gb as system drives so just hook up an external hard drive and enjoy.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.