VOGONS

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, just picked up a Compaq Presario 4402 from July of 1996 for free yesterday and I really could use some drivers for Windows 95. Everything seems to have detected fine for the most part but the easy access buttons on the machine and some other things remain unknown. The sound seems to freak out on boot and repeat the start sound first couple seconds over and over until I remove one of the undetected devices. Not entirely sure where to look for these drivers, any help would be greatly appreciated! 😁

No that's not the right keyboard that comes with the machine btw, this is just one I had nearby from another recent find. By chance though I think I might have the right one up in the attic though. 🤣
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dci9fkm.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dci9fm2.jpg

Originally it seems to have had a bad HDD but I've since gotten a new one installed and put DOS 6.22 and Windows 95B on it. Like I said everything detects fine except those few Compaq weird things that I don't have drivers for.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice system (if Compaq made a Cyberman 🤣 )

A quick dig around the Internet Archive dug up the links in the attached text file, though I'm sure with a bit more effort you could find others. Hope something in there helps.

Filename
Compaq Presario 4402 SoftPAQ Files.txt
File size
1.84 KiB
Downloads
74 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool system. I had no idea such a model existed. 😀

King_Corduroy wrote:

The sound seems to freak out on boot and repeat the start sound first couple seconds over and over until I remove one of the undetected devices.

You convinced me. It's indeed a Presario.. 😁

King_Corduroy wrote:

Not entirely sure where to look for these drivers, any help would be greatly appreciated! 😁

I guess you don't like to hear that, but.. A slightly newer version of Windows shipped with a bunch of Compaq drivers. 😉

Attachments

• compaq_98se.png
    Filename
    compaq_98se.png
    File size
    15.98 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Win98SE (J)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//