VOGONS

First post, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some of the magic smoke escaped from my MB 🙁 In looking for a board that has an i82371 or i82801 southbridge (for SMB.exe,) as well as all the other requirements to get my system back up & running, I came across a FIC VB-601. Does anyone know how it responds to the PL-iP3T adapter and a Celeron 1400/100/256 processor?

Though, it turns out I may not need a MB anyway (smoke seems to have all come from fried speaker wire.) Just discovered a surface mount cap on my Voodoo 3TV that was half off (now is fully off, see pic.) Something must have happened during one of the many moves I had to make over the last couple of years 🙁 Right now, the system is booting with a temp AGP video card & PSU. More testing to come.

The PSU is definitely bad, it won't turn on when the button is pressed. I had double checked the connections, and plugged it in to try again when the system tried to start up (without pressing the power button,) and the speaker wire started melting & smoking 🙁 Have a PSU I'm borrowing from my 3.2 Ghz Core Duo system (which I had been trying to sell till now.) Really overkill, but it will allow me to test the system out & make sure nothing is broken.

Finally, anyone capable of repairing a V3 with this problem? Barring that, I'm going to need to either get a replacement V3 or find an alternative graphics card that has drivers for Windows 3.1 (yes, 3.1.) I went through several before I got to this Voodoo card, and all had one problem or another. Sort of like to find one that is 100% VESA compliant as well, if that is possible.

BrokenV3.jpg
Filename
BrokenV3.jpg
File size
396.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Broken Voodoo 3 capacitor
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Feeding Dragon

Reply 1 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pretty much any local workshop can fix surface mounted capacitor.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks to me like the pads are off.

Also looks like the traces are on the same side of the board, which is definitely a good thing.

Just have to expose the copper in the traces and then solder to them.

Pretty easy fix.

Any repair shop should be able to fix that in a few minutes if you don't want to solder it yourself.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 7, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With my tremors, no way I could do that, and Waco doesn't appear to have any form of workshop that does that kind of work 🙁 A couple of place have someone willing to do soldering work, but only basic stuff.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, if you don't mind paying for shipping both ways, I should be able to fix it. Send me a PM and we can discuss.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can bodge it and any repair shop is going to do the same thing anyway, as for central Texas I have a deep loathing for this place.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.