VOGONS

First post, by Slot1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So recently i got a somewhat rare Voodoo2 with memory clocked at 110mhz and manufactured by Trust. There were some bent pins on one of the TMUs and i fixed them. But i noticed that there is a missing capacitor on the back of the board (marked as C56). I'm going to order some caps to fix my QDI Advance 10T board so i thought i can order some for the Voodoo2. Only if someone can identify the capacitor specs. I looked online for schematics but i couldn't find any. If someone knows the specs please let me know! Thanks.

Attachments

• VOODOO2-2.JPG
    Filename
    VOODOO2-2.JPG
    File size
    468.71 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    memory at 110mhz
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • VOODOO2-1.JPG
    Filename
    VOODOO2-1.JPG
    File size
    601.05 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    nice looking pcb
    File license
  • VOODOO2-3.JPG
    Filename
    VOODOO2-3.JPG
    File size
    931.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    c56 cap missing
    File license

Reply 3 of 13, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I highly doubt that the missing cap would do any harm.
Anyway, just add a generic 47 or 100nF cercap in the corresponding package. You can get them as spares from nearly every pcb nowadays.

Reply 4 of 13, by Slot1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course it shouldn't be a problem to run it but i'm not in a hurry to run the card. I'd rather run it with the capacitor soldered, I mean they've put the cap there for a reason obviously 😀
Probably the white ones are 10nf and the brown ones are 100nf. The small caps like the C51 and C52 are rated for 16v correct? If C56 ends up being brown i'm just going to solder a 100nf 16v cap in there.

Reply 5 of 13, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

110Mhz RAM on a Voodoo 2 is pretty rare indeed. Definitely worth fixing. 😀

For what its worth, I've replaced components like that before. I just harvest something that looks very similar from a similar type\era of card and I've never had any problems doing this. Only had to do it a few times thankfully, because soldering things that tiny with an iron can be a bit annoying.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 13, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:

Don't you need those tweezer irons for this?

Yes, you do. I'm lucky that I got the last one at my computer store since my plan is to check the SMD caps on my ASUS laptop (not retro) for any lost uF, and replace caps or chips, such as the YMF262M, for example on older sound cards.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 10 of 13, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, found the card(s). They were in a build I forgot about. I have two Trust Voodoo Dragon 2 cards, one with 100MHz memory chips and one with 110MHz memory chips.

C56 is light brown on the 100MHz one, and dark brown on the 100MHz one. PIcs:

100MHz:

dhIXs4pl.jpg

xnL8wexl.jpg

WGtxWDWl.jpg

110MHz:

dW37SEHl.jpg

eMBKkE2l.jpg

a4rPmIdl.jpg

Interesting to see, I have 6 Voodoo2 12MB cards, they look pretty similar at first glance, but the details vary wildly. I also have one with no memory chips on the back, just on the front. It says 12MB on the board.

1982 to 2001

Reply 11 of 13, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take heed and capitalize the "I" no matter where it appears.
Just funny. I can't speak proper English, but here I am, giving lousy lessons in moral. 🤣
I just thought was important (I made this mistake in the beginning out here, too).

Alrighty, we got something in common - three capacitors missing in my Voodoo 2. But even so, my card is working like a rock star.

Brown ? Like so ?

Capacitores SMD faltando na minha Voodoo2.JPG
Filename
Capacitores SMD faltando na minha Voodoo2.JPG
File size
56.83 KiB
Views
File license

(3) 100uf 16v is all that I need ?

Are you listen ? If something happens to this card, I'll go ballistic 😀
Please, show me the way. And although it's easy for me to replace those tiny SMD caps nearest modern GPUs, I can't fix this!
I feel trapped.

Reply 12 of 13, by Frasco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Interesting to see, I have 6 Voodoo2 12MB cards, they look pretty similar at first glance, but the details vary wildly. I also have one with no memory chips on the back, just on the front. It says 12MB on the board.

Yes, they do. I noticed mainly rearrangement of caps and resistors.
Still, my card (CT6670) lacks plenty of memory chips (there are caps next to the empty places, why are they here?
I assume, in reality that cap from the top of my card is redundant. There are only two caps pendent).

That said, the card I posted is evenly matched with my model: CT6670 (8 Mb, I think).

Reply 13 of 13, by Slot1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the pics! I'll just try to find a used cap with the same color as the 110mhz one from late 90s cards. It is a bit strange they used different cap even though they are the same card, only different memory frequency.

Edit:
On the other hand they might be the same value cap, just different color because the large caps also have a darker color. Maybe different brand/revision of the caps? I don't know.