VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just picked up an IBM 300PL (6862) for cheap on eBay.

It worked at first. I was able to install a video card, upgrade the RAM and install Windows 98. Everything appeared to be running perfectly.

Then after about 2 days it just wouldn't turn on.

Here's what I have done:

1) replaced power supply, no change.
2) put old power supply back in. I noticed that when I plugged the old power supply in (not when I pressed the power button), the front case fan did a partial turn, but nothing else happened.
3) I removed the CMOS battery and cleared the CMOS, put the battery back in and there was no change.
4) I unplugged and plugged back in all the cords and cables, nothing.
5) I checked all the caps, none of them are obviously bulging or leaking.

I think the best case scenario is that the front panel controls (power button, intrusion detection switch, etc) are malfunctioning. I tried pressing the power button holding down the intrusion detection switch and also tried without holding down the intrusion detection switch. However, the front panel control assembly is very proprietary and they are almost impossible to find.

Worst case scenario is that something on the motherboard is fried.

Any idea what, other than a bad power supply, would lead to the computer not turning on at all?

Thanks.

Attachments

• ibm psu 7.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 7.jpg
    File size
    992.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front panel assembly
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ibm psu 6.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 6.jpg
    File size
    986.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front panel assembly
    File license
  • ibm psu 5.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 5.jpg
    File size
    956.86 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Front panel connector on motherboard
    File license

Reply 2 of 4, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:

Did you try booting with the original RAM config?

Yes. However, it doesn't even try to boot. Nothing happens when I hit the power button.

Reply 3 of 4, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried removing the board from the case and checking there isn't some screw or other contact between it and the case that would short the whole thing? I'd still try to boot the board without the case and include minimum config to make sure there's no interference from any of it.

edit: I'd also check if any of the chips on the board get really hot really fast.

Last edited by sf78 on 2018-08-20, 11:35. Edited 1 time in total.