VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello
My recent Ebay experience: This bothered me so much that I had to share this 😢
In Ebay I sent a 1 pc of message to seller asking some detail questions about the condition of the device like I normally do with "friendly helloes and greetings". I received no answer then I tried to "Buy it now" and take a risk only to found out this message: "Seller has blocked you from bidding/buying" ?

I feel very sad I have +100 positive feedback and have left a positive one always to sellers also, always pay immediately and altogether I'm a very nice and understanding person. I just don't understand why he\she blocked me ?

Oh well guess the lesson learned is that you should never ask a question in Ebay.

Reply 1 of 15, by mcobit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On the bright side:
There might really be something wrong with his offering if he blocks you for asking questions.
What a hassle it might be to deal with such a seller if you need to return the item or something.

Reply 2 of 15, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always ask specific questions for any item that does not include needed information to make an informed purchase. Rarely have I ever had a problem, and if the seller provides no answers- I simply move along. No reason to make a purchase and then kick yourself over buying a pig in a poke so to speak.

Only suggestion is to be direct in your request for info and to set aside any complaints or pleasantries till feedback time.

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 3 of 15, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Call me cynical, but if I had to guess I'd say it was probably along the lines of this -

The PC was probably seriously defective and/or the seller was trying to rip people off. As you've asked specific questions, they've gotten nervous and blocked you as they don't want to be caught out and have to deal with you returning the item.

Reply 4 of 15, by watson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had a similar experience once.
A used game seller on eBay UK sold me a disc which still had polishing compound all over it when I got it (I guess he somehow forgot to wipe it).
I wiped it off, but the disc didn't pass a surface scan in Nero CD-DVD Speed.
I then proceeded to polish it myself until I got all green sectors.
After all this, I contacted the seller and told him I know most big resellers polish their discs (and I'm fine with that as long as they work), but this was unacceptable and that he should be more careful in the future.
I gave him POSITIVE feedback because I managed to get the disc to work.

He blocked me.

Reply 5 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess some sellers don't want any hassle with answering questions or have deals with "problematic" customers. Some sellers are very reluctant to answer questions for sure.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2018-09-03, 12:21. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 15, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. 99% of sellers are super nice I usually buy from: USA, Germany, Japan, Canada, Austria, China, UK. Overall Ebay has been very good.

This was just odd one of a time seller from Italy and had low sell\buy rate.
My prejudices about Italian+Mediterranean Ebayers raised again. Don't know what kind of black Mafia business was going on ?

I myself would never even think about blocking no one. 😊
Pretty odd to block potential buyers.

Reply 7 of 15, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had one odd seller this year: I was looking at three vintage games, which were in mint or almost mint condition. I am not after mint condition games. But those were hard to come by, so I asked if the seller would go down in price, if I took all three off his hands. Since a few months sellers can make official offers to buyers on eBay, so asking on buy now auctions even without the ability of price offers is now possible.

He responds with a rather reasonable offer, but it was still too much for me. So I politely declined. After a day i thought: maybe this is a very good deal after all, so I asked if the offer is still up and if I could still take the games. He responds: no sorry, this was not a serious offer and goodbye. I was a bit stooped and wrote back that this make him look a bit shady and all the best.

On the day when the three items expired I tried to bid for one anyway, since I REALLY wanted to have it, and got the message that the seller blocked me from buying his stuff. 😮

Well, so much for that. I think it's probably for the best.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 15, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This has never happened to me, and you could call me an ebay "power buyer"
I agree with the opinions mentioned above that there is something very wrong with the seller and his/her products. You're better off ignoring them too.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 9 of 15, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Only strange sellers that I have encountered on eBay, are all chinese... Shure it can be cheap and all... Just that they allways respond with something like I get 60% back from a thing that was obviously not working/tested in the first place, and then I can keep the item or something. Even if there is a moneyback guarantee and the item is listed as "no returns". The money is no issue, and it is the principle that counts. So I am reporting the item to eBay 1 out of 2 times, that I have this problem. Sometimes I do not even want to bother, and just order another item from a different seller, and give negative feedback alongside a note that explains what is wrong. Something in the line of "Recieved in broken state. Bad packing. Don't buy from this seller". 😁

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 10 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@brostenen - I have had the same sort of thing happen with a few different Chinese sellers.
Usually whatever I order arrives just fine, but there have been a couple different instances where it didn't and the seller wanted to offer me a discount instead of just giving me a refund.
Then the one time, they said I had to send it back which I knew was a lie because I never actually received a label.

And one US seller I bought an old laptop from didn't package it well and it arrived very damaged. The vitriol out of that seller in addition to them claiming that it was not their responsibility once it was shipped was so insane.
Finally had to have eBay step in to give me a return label and get a full refund.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 15, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
user33331 wrote:
Hello My recent Ebay experience: This bothered me so much that I had to share this :depressed: In Ebay I sent a 1 pc of message […]
Show full quote

Hello
My recent Ebay experience: This bothered me so much that I had to share this 😢
In Ebay I sent a 1 pc of message to seller asking some detail questions about the condition of the device like I normally do with "friendly helloes and greetings". I received no answer then I tried to "Buy it now" and take a risk only to found out this message: "Seller has blocked you from bidding/buying" ?

I feel very sad I have +100 positive feedback and have left a positive one always to sellers also, always pay immediately and altogether I'm a very nice and understanding person. I just don't understand why he\she blocked me ?

Oh well guess the lesson learned is that you should never ask a question in Ebay.

Were you and the seller in different countries? If so, he might not have wanted to deal with international shipping?

Reply 12 of 15, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tegrady wrote:

Were you and the seller in different countries? If so, he might not have wanted to deal with international shipping?

The normal way to list on eBay is to define shipping policies which specify exactly where you're willing and unwilling to ship. If the seller is too lazy to do that and resorts to blocking users instead, he's wasting both his own time and that of eBay's users.
But sadly, it's more likely that this seller refused to answer because he's knowingly selling something fishy.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I guess some sellers don't want any hassle with answering questions or have deals with "problematic" customers. Some sellers are very reluctant to answer questions for sure.

If they answer incorrectly you have an out for a refund even if the item is sold as/is. Some of these people have no idea what they are selling and some of them have mental or anger issues.

For the most part sellers want to give you enough information to sell their items at a profit with no returns.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 14 of 15, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When an auction or buy now product hasn't a clear description about the working status, I usually send a message asking: is the product fully working?
And they answer: I took it off from a working computer, that does mean nothing to me, last time it happened was with a sound card, the computer can work but a component can have issues.
The first buy I did on ebay was for a super socket 7 mb, the seller claimed he took it off from a working computer but still when I connected the psu cable to mb I had issue like if something on the mb connector was wrong.

Reply 15 of 15, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't had any issues with sellers blocking me, but I have had the problem of winning an auction for a really cheap price and having the seller never ship the item. 😢