VOGONS

First post, by pedronico

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everybody.

I'm Nicodemos and i'm from Brazil,
I Got a pretty strange guy at my Classic PC Collection. A DELL Optiplex 433/L (Yes, it's a optiplex model) with some really strange hardware.
I'm making a new case and a few upgrades to this machine, to run old DOS games and Windows3.x

U96hZmO.jpg

Goal Points:
1 - Put an SD Card to IDE Adapter at it.
2 - Convert a ITX PSU to AT Pins (to make it smaller)
3 - Upgrade to Maximum Ram
4 - Create a Whole new Case for it, with the SD Card at the front of the Case and All Expansions Bays Available.
5 - Manage to Upgrade the Video Memory and Processor.

BPaG6Rn.jpg

I Managed to get it to run but i notice few problems on it.

1 - It doesn't have a turbo button, and i can't find it in any part of the board. i Notice a few jumpers marking 25Mhz, 30Mhz, 33MHz, 40MHz next to the vga port, but i don't know if it's related to the CPU.
2 - It have a on-board video card, i really never saw an 486 PC with one. I Managed to find out it's a ET4000Win32 from Tseng, but i want to know if it runs good with DOS Games and how to upgrade the video memory, since i really don't have any information about what chip use to do it.
3 - I Don't see any Space for Cache Upgrade at the board.
4 - It uses a 4.5v Clock Battery, i really never saw one for sale in my country, but, i can manage to find one, but, it's really necessary to make that work ?
5 - It's possible to Upgrade to Am486-100 Processor ? anyone have done that ?
6 - It Came with a strange sound card. An Genoa audio blitz. Anyone know that card ?
7 - I Ordered from Internet an SD to IDE interface, can i use this without an XT-IDE ISA Board ?
8 - Some one have the drivers for this board available ?

Thank you for any help!

Reply 2 of 3, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pedronico wrote:
Hello Everybody. […]
Show full quote

Hello Everybody.

I Managed to get it to run but i notice few problems on it.

1 - It doesn't have a turbo button, and i can't find it in any part of the board. i Notice a few jumpers marking 25Mhz, 30Mhz, 33MHz, 40MHz next to the vga port, but i don't know if it's related to the CPU.
2 - It have a on-board video card, i really never saw an 486 PC with one. I Managed to find out it's a ET4000Win32 from Tseng, but i want to know if it runs good with DOS Games and how to upgrade the video memory, since i really don't have any information about what chip use to do it.
3 - I Don't see any Space for Cache Upgrade at the board.
4 - It uses a 4.5v Clock Battery, i really never saw one for sale in my country, but, i can manage to find one, but, it's really necessary to make that work ?
5 - It's possible to Upgrade to Am486-100 Processor ? anyone have done that ?
6 - It Came with a strange sound card. An Genoa audio blitz. Anyone know that card ?
7 - I Ordered from Internet an SD to IDE interface, can i use this without an XT-IDE ISA Board ?
8 - Some one have the drivers for this board available ?

Thank you for any help!

Welcome to the forums!

I can't find any online documentation for your motherboard, so some things will be difficult to answer.

1. The jumpers sound like bus speed adjustments, and that would also adjust the frequency of the CPU. The 486DX will operate at the bus frequency. if you get a DX2 or other CPU with a multiplier, it will operate at the bus frequency multiplied by the multiplier.

2.a. The Tseng et4000/w32i is a very good card for most DOS games. On an ISA only 486, there are only a few cards that would be better.
2.b. Video memory upgrades are possible, but it is going to be very difficult to find one. The sockets may also allow you to upgrade, but without a manual, specs will be difficult to determine.

3. The board might have integrated cache. Speedsys will help you determine the cache onboard.

4. You can construct/purchase a holder for 3 x AA batteries and connect that. Some boards require battery, and you definitely want it to save BIOS Settings.

5. No reason that you can't except for voltage. I can't see the whole board, so it may be possible that your board can only support 5V CPUs. If that's the case, there are upgrade options with onboard voltage transformation down from 5V. An example would be a Kingston Turbochip.

6. From pictures, It is an OPTi MAD16 based card with an onboard OPL3, mostly useless CD Connectors, and a Crystal chip, possibly for Windows Sound System support.

7. Depends on the BIOS if it can handle the capacity of the card without a drive overlay software.

8. Good luck!

Concerning the PSU, there are converter cables on eBay to take the ATX20 pinout from modern PSUs and convert them to AT.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build