VOGONS

First post, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I have a SS7 motherboard (Lucky Star 5mvp3) and I'm having keyboard issues. The KB lights up like it should, but it is not picking up keystrokes at all (and I cant press Del. to enter BIOS or anything) I don't know what happened, all I did was move the computer. I now have the board stripped down to one stick of 128MB SDRAM, a Video card, and the keyboard attached, and nothing else. Could the keyboard controller died on me, since the KB appears to be getting power, but no keystroke "signals". I'm kinda at a loss. Oh yeah the KB is a PS/2 KB with an AT adapter (I've tried 3 different adapters but the issues persists). Is there a way to test the port for signal/power etc??

Many thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 9, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd try it with a different model PS/2 keyboard if possible.
Did you used to be able to access the BIOS using that keyboard?

I've had a couple of keyboard/motherboard combinations where the keyboard works in Windows but not before Windows is booted. In one case I managed to boot from the Windows 98 CD and install Windows without realizing I had no access to the BIOS with that keyboard. The best explanation I could find for the problem was by Synetech at
https://superuser.com/questions/660143/does-t … generic-drivers

Reply 2 of 9, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've also had that issue in the past where certain mobo/keyboard combos did not work, but I've been using this keyboard on this machine for a while, so the very first thing that crossed my mind was "Bad Keyboard". I tried the suspect keyboard on another computer and it worked. I used the other computer's keyboard on the suspect computer just now as per your suggestion and it did not work 🙁 I SO had my fingers crossed.

The keyboard fuse on the motherboard crossed my mind as well but I'm not sure the keyboard(s) would light up (which they do) if the fuse was bad. So the last thing I thought of was maaaaaybe when I removed the keyboard connector from the machine when moving it loosened/wore out the signal receptacle of the DIN-5 connector on the motherboard (I'm reaching at this point 🤣) ORRRR the IO chip has bit the big one 🙁

I too could boot to Windows 98se w/o the keyboard working, but now I can't even do that because I'm stuck at POST with a checksum error because I reset the BIOS, thinking that might help. 🤣 what a PITA

Thanks for you suggestions bud

Reply 4 of 9, by WileECoyote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a pic of the Fuse that blew and my ghetto temp fix to verify. Now the question is... where do I find said fuse??? I think it reads 3Amp

Attachments

• 20180920_200336.jpg
    Filename
    20180920_200336.jpg
    File size
    828.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Pic of Ghetto TEMPORARY fix for verification lol
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20180920_190638.jpg