VOGONS

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have been playing with building another DOS/WIN Time Machine and prices are pretty high now days. What to do? Avoid collectors items!

The Time Machine concept was coined by Phil I believe, apologies if not. The main component is a CPU that can vary speed widely, namely the AMD K6-II/III+ processors that vary speed on the fly in software and can closely emulate a 386, 486 and Pentium class system. Fortunately these processors are still available for cheap on eBay. I have several of the AMD K6-II+ 450 ACZ CPU's on hand and that is what I will be using.

The problem now is what motherboard to use. Super Socket 7 boards seem to be going for crazy money but we don't one. All we need is a Socket 7 motherboard that has a BIOS that supports the AMD K6-II/III+. That opens things up quite a bit. A lot of motherboards have patched BIOS's with the proper support required. The downside? We won't be using an AGP video card but do we really need one? No, not for a budget system as this will not be a 3D powerhouse!

So, have a look below for motherboards with support.

http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

This really opens up the use of less desirable boards, which are cheaper, and the ability to perhaps stumble on a machine that has one inside.

More later...

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 25, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It can still be done on a budget but it is getting less and less easy to do and with compromises that make the builds less attractive overall especially should one have to make do without a 3DFX card. The prices and profiteering is making things worse so people have to miss out which is sad as the cost of these build slowly creeps towards that of modern gaming systems.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 25, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Out of the boards I had to choose from I have decided on using my ASUS TXP4-X ATX motherboard.

Not Super Socket 7, no 100-MHz bus, no AGP, Intel 430TX Chipset

Modded BIOS for K6-II/III+ CHECK

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock7/4 … x/txp4x-101.pdf

Max clock speed will be 400-MHz (6x multiplier, 66.66-MHz bus)
Min clock speed will me 133-MHz (2x multiplier, 66.66-MHz bus)

CPU multiplier, L1 Cache enable/disable and L2 Cache enable/disable will be changeable on the fly in software

L3 Cache (motherboard cache) will be disabled in BIOS and left that way.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 25, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can even build and configure a DOS compatible game pc using a cheap S462 motherboard (or slot 1/S370/S478) with a BIOS that allows you to disable the caches and lower the CPU clock speed (not on PIII and P4):

https://youtu.be/K5vYD0JMD_A

Lots of people on this forum keep thinking in their narrow boxes (with their expensive ISA sound cards and motherboards), but with minor tweaks more recent hardware can be turned into something that is usable for DOS gaming.

Last edited by SpectriaForce on 2018-10-02, 21:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 25, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:

You can even build and configure a DOS compatible game pc using a cheap S462 motherboard (or slot 1/S370/S478) with a BIOS that allows you to disable the caches and lower the CPU clock speed:

Lots of people on this forum keep thinking in their narrow boxes (with their expensive ISA sound cards and motherboards), but with minor tweaks more recent hardware can be turned into something that is usable for DOS gaming.

DOSBox is real cheap...

Reply 5 of 25, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox is a great program but I still prefer hardware with Windows 98 SE.

I have not been fond of any Slot1, etc. systems for older DOS games. Maybe it's just my bad experience with such things.

Primary video card is locked in stone now. DELL, STB Nitro 3D v1.3, S3 Virge/GX, 4MB, PCI video card. Looks good, was cheap and very compatible. Honestly I'm not sure anything can beat S3 on compatibility. So as long as the particular card has a good output then rock'n'roll. It will also pair nicely with a Voodoo or Voodoo II should I ever decide but most likely not.

I am still deciding on a secondary card but more likely not. This box is for DOS and some early Windows stuff that isn't 3D anyway. If it's 3D I'd rather have it on a faster system anyways. K6-II/III+ is NOT very fast. It cannot handle Thief 2 even with a Voodoo 3 3500.

It's gonna see a lot of Command & Conquer and Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Probably some Warcraft, Diablo, etc. Not to mention Dune 2 (this game is a definitely speed sensitive), Doom, D3D and have the ability to explore older titles without headache.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 6 of 25, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:
SpectriaForce wrote:

You can even build and configure a DOS compatible game pc using a cheap S462 motherboard (or slot 1/S370/S478) with a BIOS that allows you to disable the caches and lower the CPU clock speed:

DOSBox is real cheap...

Dosbox is like masturbation, good enough, but the real deal is more satisfying.
Most of my "pleasure" is not playing the games, it is building the system, the satisfaction of overcoming all possible problems.
Of course playing the games are also good.

Reply 7 of 25, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

Dosbox is like masturbation, good enough, but the real deal is more satisfying.
Most of my "pleasure" is not playing the games, it is building the system, the satisfaction of overcoming all possible problems.
Of course playing the games are also good.

Right... so then why build an overpowered system and cripple it?

Reply 8 of 25, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:

I am going to build some of these. This sounds like a great idea.
I am tired of working with old electronics most of which don't work.
Building one of these should lasts 5 years or more.
You can build one for about $100
Got a NEW motherboard for $30

Attachments

• AMD-003.jpg
    Filename
    AMD-003.jpg
    File size
    226.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 25, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The box is being crippled the right amount to emulate a 486 and crippled a little more for a 386. There are quite a few games that it will need to run at full speed.

That newer TimeMachine from Phil is not nearly as compatible as his older stuff. The K6-II/III+ is way more tunable. The one mentioned above is either a fast 386 or just really fast. No 486 or varying speed in 386/486/586 modes.

This is more of what I am talking about, with obvious deviation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcAqRbFFQPU

Windows 98 SE

Reply 10 of 25, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cheap and K6-3 don't go together. I was lucky to find a board cheap but in hindsight i haven't needed to slow that system down to play the games i play.

If it wasn't for my interest in vintage hardware i would have gone for something nore conventional and disabled the caches in the bios and/or used something like moslow

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 11 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My time machine is a 486dx 33Mhz. I can slow it down by disabling any combination of turbo, L1 and L2 cache. I can slow it down to 386, 286 or XT speeds. I think it is a very good dos computer if you don't care that much about windows.

Reply 13 of 25, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

K6s -- while nice -- jump from a ~486DX33 straight to a Pentium 133. To me that leaves a lot to be desired... especially not having DX2-66, Pentium ~90 speeds. You could always swap in a Pentium 233MMX CPU in there to tune to those speeds but it isn't convenient. I prefer VIA CPUs for this reason... way more flexible. It's also much easier to pop in Slot 1 CPUs/slotket cards.

Reply 14 of 25, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vvbee wrote:

Hard to beat pcem+pcbi and dosbox.

Or 86box... I have multiple 86box configs. 286, 386, a couple of 486 ones (one has a Gravis Ultrasound), and a couple of Socket 5/7s for OS/2 Warp and 95.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 15 of 25, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have 4 Super socket 7 motherboards to build from. I have one built already with AMD K63+ 500mhz.
But I think it will be nice to have some of these AMD Socket A builds too. So I bought 3 of these motherboards for future builds. Socket 7 motherboards are all but gone and too expensive selling for $150 for a good used one.
You can find these AMD socket A motherboards for $30 each and CPU’s are inexpensive.

Reply 16 of 25, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
vvbee wrote:

Hard to beat pcem+pcbi and dosbox.

Or 86box... I have multiple 86box configs. 286, 386, a couple of 486 ones (one has a Gravis Ultrasound), and a couple of Socket 5/7s for OS/2 Warp and 95.

86box should implement a cool 3d expansion, too.

Reply 17 of 25, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
I am going to build some of these. This sounds like a great idea. I am tired of working with old electronics most of which don't […]
Show full quote
SpectriaForce wrote:

I am going to build some of these. This sounds like a great idea.
I am tired of working with old electronics most of which don't work.
Building one of these should lasts 5 years or more.
You can build one for about $100
Got a NEW motherboard for $30

I've seen that motherboard for sale as well, what for brand capacitors does it have? It's so cheap that it can't be any good. I rather buy a board that costs me € 100 with good capacitors that I don't have to replace than a cheap board with bad capacitors. Why? Because recapping with quality capacitors by someone who knows what he does and has the right equipment can easily cost you > € 100. Low ESR polymer Panasonic Oscon's are not cheap. I've had someone let recap my PCChips, Soltek and QDI boards, it was necessary and not cheap. You should never save money on a motherboard and a power supply unless you have good reasons.

Reply 18 of 25, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squareguy wrote:
The box is being crippled the right amount to emulate a 486 and crippled a little more for a 386. There are quite a few games t […]
Show full quote

The box is being crippled the right amount to emulate a 486 and crippled a little more for a 386. There are quite a few games that it will need to run at full speed.

That newer TimeMachine from Phil is not nearly as compatible as his older stuff. The K6-II/III+ is way more tunable. The one mentioned above is either a fast 386 or just really fast. No 486 or varying speed in 386/486/586 modes.

You can also take a slot 1 motherboard with an extensive BIOS (e.g. Asus P3B-F), install a PII Klamath and start experimenting with the multiplier and caches.

Reply 19 of 25, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote:
squareguy wrote:
The box is being crippled the right amount to emulate a 486 and crippled a little more for a 386. There are quite a few games t […]
Show full quote

You can also take a slot 1 motherboard with an extensive BIOS (e.g. Asus P3B-F), install a PII Klamath and start experimenting with the multiplier and caches.

I thought disabling caches in a P2 always makes the cpu pretty much useless. At least that happened with my P2B board and 300Mhz klamath. I can change the multiplier to make it bit slower, but when I disabled cache it made the cpu useless pretty much.