VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HI,
I wanted try the best 478 cpus for my Asrock p4i865g and i was thinking if the rare EE 3,4ghz 2mb l3 478 is much faster of the 3,4ghZ/1mb/800 prescott lready quiet rare itself. Also the first it's not listed on the cpu support list, would it work? And i have seen these Core2 T5500 478 cpus, is it possible someway to run it on this i865 mobo?

Also i was thinking to try fastest Pentium D cpus/mobo but i don't really know much about these cpu/architectures any info? Are they interesting?
Thank

Last edited by 386SX on 2018-10-13, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mobile 478 CPUs aren't electrically compatible (see Socket M for example).

With a Socket 478, CPU choices are, unfortunately, very limited. Pentium 4 EE is probably the best thing you could fit in such a board (if compatible).

Pentium D CPUs are all on Socket 775. i865 motherboards featuring Socket 775 do exist, and may be able to support it.

Reply 2 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSS10999 wrote:

With a Socket 478, CPU choices are, unfortunately, very limited. Pentium 4 EE is probably the best thing you could fit in such a board (if compatible).

Pentium D CPUs are all on Socket 775. i865 motherboards featuring Socket 775 do exist, and may be able to support it.

Too bad that it's really an expensive cpu and not sure if this mobo support it. Anyway I am trying right now the P4 3,0/800/1MB with 2GB in Dual Channel and an SSD with Linux. It runs quiet well but those 400mhz more of the 3,4Ghz model would probably help. I will get one soon.
Strangely it seems that the Radeon HD 3850 with the PCIExpress bridge is giving some problems/conflicts with the SATA channels (Debian Linux) and actually running ok but with a SATA2 PCI controller and Ubuntu.

Reply 3 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm I never realized that EE edition existed. If it has the same voltage requirements I bet it would work.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 4 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BinaryDemon wrote:

Hmmm I never realized that EE edition existed. If it has the same voltage requirements I bet it would work.

Their prices seems to be excessive anyway and I don't know if the 1MB cache more on this P4 did some differences. Should be interesting to compare a the 478 1MB cpu with the 775 2MB at the same clock (beside faster chipset/ram).

Reply 5 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
BinaryDemon wrote:

Their prices seems to be excessive anyway and I don't know if the 1MB cache more on this P4 did some differences. Should be interesting to compare a the 478 1MB cpu with the 775 2MB at the same clock (beside faster chipset/ram).

P4EE :
1) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) PGA 478 = 3,2GHz, 3,4GHz
2) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) LGA 775 = 3,4GHz, 3,46GHz (first 1066MHz FSB CPU)
3) Prescott-2M (2MB L2) LGA 775 = 3,73GHz (can be replaced with any other Pentium 4 without 1066MHz support, no "new features").
You can compare 1MB with 2MB and 2MB L3 on LGA 775 😀
For best comparison, you simply need a 775 Gallatin, Prescott-2M and regular Prescott.
One cpu frequency (3,4GHz) on all of them, is possible.
Also, all those CPUs have LOCKED multipliers (unless you have ES, which MIGHT be unlocked).
Best P4 MB (for OC), is P5WD2 Premium from ASUS, 800MHz FSB ones should work with some P45/X48 boards (if you want DDR3 😉).

For fastest Pentium D... we have three parts :
Pentium Extreme Edition 840 (first Dual Core CPU from Intel, or two Prescott "E0" on one package)
Pentium Extreme Edition 955 (first 65nm CPU from Intel, oldest CPU with Win10 x64 compatibility)
Pentium Extreme Edition 965 (last Netburst class CPU with 2 Core 4 Thread configuration, and also highest clocked Dual Core).

They are interesting in two ways :
1) 2 Core, 4 Thread CPUs (no other Pentium D CPUs have HT enabled),
2) Fully unlocked multipliers (up to x60).
For Pentium D (regulars), we have :
Pentium D 805 (533MHz FSB + latest Smithfield stepping "B0"),
Pentium D 960 (for latest stock clocked Presler, I recommend checking if it's stepping "D0" for best thermals/power usage).

PS. There is NO WAY, for Pentium D to work in PGA 478 (since they use additional pins for between die communication).

157143230295.png

Reply 6 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LSS10999 wrote:

In all honesty just ignore the part where this guy talks about 478 procs as you can use mobile versions of the pentium 4 in desktop boards however they will not be running at full clocks as the mobiles require a signal from the chipset for the higher multiplier state though they were great back in the day for fast clocking boards. People make the mistake of confusing 479 era procs that came later and those are different entirely from 478.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:
P4EE : 1) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) PGA 478 = 3,2GHz, 3,4GHz 2) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) LGA 775 = 3,4GHz, 3,46GHz (first 106 […]
Show full quote
386SX wrote:
BinaryDemon wrote:

P4EE :
1) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) PGA 478 = 3,2GHz, 3,4GHz
2) Gallatin (512kB/2MB L2/L3) LGA 775 = 3,4GHz, 3,46GHz (first 1066MHz FSB CPU)
3) Prescott-2M (2MB L2) LGA 775 = 3,73GHz (can be replaced with any other Pentium 4 without 1066MHz support, no "new features").
You can compare 1MB with 2MB and 2MB L3 on LGA 775 😀
For best comparison, you simply need a 775 Gallatin, Prescott-2M and regular Prescott.
One cpu frequency (3,4GHz) on all of them, is possible.
Also, all those CPUs have LOCKED multipliers (unless you have ES, which MIGHT be unlocked).
Best P4 MB (for OC), is P5WD2 Premium from ASUS, 800MHz FSB ones should work with some P45/X48 boards (if you want DDR3 😉).

For fastest Pentium D... we have three parts :
Pentium Extreme Edition 840 (first Dual Core CPU from Intel, or two Prescott "E0" on one package)
Pentium Extreme Edition 955 (first 65nm CPU from Intel, oldest CPU with Win10 x64 compatibility)
Pentium Extreme Edition 965 (last Netburst class CPU with 2 Core 4 Thread configuration, and also highest clocked Dual Core).

They are interesting in two ways :
1) 2 Core, 4 Thread CPUs (no other Pentium D CPUs have HT enabled),
2) Fully unlocked multipliers (up to x60).
For Pentium D (regulars), we have :
Pentium D 805 (533MHz FSB + latest Smithfield stepping "B0"),
Pentium D 960 (for latest stock clocked Presler, I recommend checking if it's stepping "D0" for best thermals/power usage).

PS. There is NO WAY, for Pentium D to work in PGA 478 (since they use additional pins for between die communication).

Thank you! 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

In all honesty just ignore the part where this guy talks about 478 procs as you can use mobile versions of the pentium 4 in desktop boards however they will not be running at full clocks as the mobiles require a signal from the chipset for the higher multiplier state though they were great back in the day for fast clocking boards. People make the mistake of confusing 479 era procs that came later and those are different entirely from 478.

I think you're referring to this one (Socket 479). Those processors (Pentium M) can work on some 478 boards, but require a special adapter. ASUS was the one making such adapters.

According to Wikipedia:

There exist multiple electrically incompatible, but mechanically compatible processor families that are available in PGA package […]
Show full quote

There exist multiple electrically incompatible, but mechanically compatible processor families that are available in PGA packages using this socket or variants thereof:[1]

Socket 478 for Pentium 4 and Celeron series desktop CPUs;
Socket 479 for Pentium III-M (released in 2001);
Socket 479 for Pentium M and Celeron M 3xx (this was the most common version of the socket, and was released in 2003);
Socket M for Intel Core, Core 2 and Celeron M 4xx and 5xx processors; and
Socket P for Core 2 processors.

You're right about those things being confusing, because those sockets are mechanically compatible, but not electrically compatible, and there were five kinds of such sockets. Interestingly, when comparing the pictures of Socket 478 and Socket P it appears those two sockets even have identical layout despite being completely different inside.

Reply 9 of 10, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There were 2 lines of mobile P4s. Pentium 4-M (400 MHz FSB Northwoods) and Mobile P4 (533 MHz FSB Northwoods and Prescotts). Have used the desktop mPGA478B design (if you look from the top - 1 counter-clockwise pin near the edge is removed). See this, 3.2.2.

P.S. Socket M isn't mechanically compatible with socket478/P. Key pins are different (mPGA478A layer is used). Pentium III-M CPUs have used this layer too.
"Socket479" Pentium-M/Celeron-M 3xx are mPGA478C and aren't mechanically compatible with Socket478/M/P.
Unfortunately socket479 not have the 2nd key pin and is mechanically compatible with all 5 above CPU families. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 10 of 10, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UPDATE:

I finished building this main/only office machine based on the Asrock P4i65G (i865 Socket 478) as I was saying for now with the Prescott 3.0/1MB/800 but next week I'll get the 3,4/1MB/800 version probably the best I can test.
I am using two identical Dual-channel Corsair Value CL3 1GB DDR400 too bad it has not one more dimm slot, a ATi Radeon HD 3450 AGP 512MB DDR2 (RV620LE) passive card, a Oxygen HD CMI8788 audio card, a Promise Fastrack SATA2 TX2300 PCI card (cause it seems the video card and maybe the PCIEx-AGP bridge is causing some problems on the native SATA disk channel as written in the linux boot logs, things that doesn't happen with other vga, but I liked this more modern one), a Kingston SSD disk and the usual DVD sata one, everything in a big steel old server case and these great Enermax EG375AX-VE P24 heavy psu.

Opinion:
Running actually Linux on xde gui and incredibly fast if I can say, used to the ARMv6 linux single computer board. I already tested some of the P4 capabilities with 478 and 775 but with an SSD everything is great. I'll try to accelerate using the gpu with applications but considering how this cpu is it's still impressive what an old single core can do nowdays. I liked the 478 solution before testing later/soon the Pentium D upgrade, it seems more Pentium4-time-correct socket)
I'll do some benchmark when I'll get the 3,4ghz model but for now one thing I found interesting is that the FPU performances of a Celeron M at much lower speed seems that is double this P4 from a linux benchmark... is it possible?

Questions:
-Ram: this ram I'm using are the only two identical ones I have and quiet cheap model. Not having another dimm slot I can't use more I'd liked the go up 3GB with x86 Linux. So the only choice is to find fastest ram I can. How much will I improve performances? Or maybe it's useless and expensive? I also have some 2.5-3-3-8 Kingston but 512MB but with these modern os/kernels really 2GB helps more than faster 1GB.

-Vga: having this strange conflict with the Radeon HD3450 AGP and the SATA native channel and using this PCI Promise TX2300 SATA2 card that seems fast enough but would it be faster on the SATA native channel? Which "more modern" passive card would you use?