VOGONS

Asus P2B-DS dual CPU

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 44, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The fan speed error is normal, you can set that line to 'ignore' with a +/- key.
The vcore error is not normal. Maybe the psu does not deliver the right voltage. What are the other voltages displayed in the 'voltages monitor' section ?

Reply 23 of 44, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The rest looks ok. I don't know what the cause is. First try to reseat the cpu and/or try another cpu. If that does not solve it, try another psu.

PS The P2B-D boards are typically supposed to have a termination card in the second slot when only 1 cpu is installed - is there one on your board ? If not that may(?) also cause errors - but I have no experience with this aspect.

Reply 24 of 44, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quickly fired up mine and get a vcore reading of 2.1

I like the idea of the terminating card being the issue, it must of been there for a reason but no idea if it is the cultrate or not.
I may be able to help you out on shipping costs from UK. (know someone heading back to oz for Christmas)
PM me if your interested in matched P2 400's I pulled from another server or if you can find anything better online then no problem either. I'd bet with that revision P3 Katmai 600Mhz is as high as you can go unless you want to mod the motherboard

Reply 25 of 44, by Cesora

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys sorry for the very late reply, I have moved house and forgot about this project until now. Chinny22 thanks for the offer, if I had not been so busy I would have accepted!

Since last time, I have got some Pentium 3 processers (one sl364 and one sl37c), both of which are 450mhz. However the board will not boot if both are in. It's fine if one is in, but not both. Is there a jumper or a setting I have to do to enable 2 cpus?

Also it's not recognizing hdds larger then 30ish gigabytes. To solve this I need to do a bios update, but I have never done a bios update on a board this old. Is it the same as a more modern setup?

Cheers!

Reply 26 of 44, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cesora wrote on 2020-02-17, 06:46:
Hey guys sorry for the very late reply, I have moved house and forgot about this project until now. Chinny22 thanks for the offe […]
Show full quote

Hey guys sorry for the very late reply, I have moved house and forgot about this project until now. Chinny22 thanks for the offer, if I had not been so busy I would have accepted!

Since last time, I have got some Pentium 3 processers (one sl364 and one sl37c), both of which are 450mhz. However the board will not boot if both are in. It's fine if one is in, but not both. Is there a jumper or a setting I have to do to enable 2 cpus?

Also it's not recognizing hdds larger then 30ish gigabytes. To solve this I need to do a bios update, but I have never done a bios update on a board this old. Is it the same as a more modern setup?

Cheers!

Wouldn't the board demand 2 CPUs of same S-Spec? Or at least same stepping. SL364 i stepping kB0 http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL364.html where as SL37C is stepping kC0 http://www.cpu-world.com/sspec/SL/SL37C.html

I wouldn't expect that to work ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 27 of 44, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus still hosts the BIOS and the flash tool I believe. Just copy both on a floppy and boot into DOS (Win9x boot floppy works fine) run the flash program from the floppy, maybe backup the current BIOS and select the new BIOS file for flashing. It's pretty straightforward.
Btw it is best to not flash the BIOS while running an overclocked system. Set the fsb to 100 with 1/3 PCI divider or 66 with 1/2 PCI divider.
If you have troubles finding Asus' flash program you can also use UniFlash 1.40. It's a pretty simple process as well.
Good luck! 😀

Reply 29 of 44, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you would you use such old dual slot server motherboard for? As some kind of linux server?
I have a gigabyte GA-6BXD with dual P3 450Mhz attached to it, but I have no idea what I would use such thing for personally. Would there be some retro use that a Windows NT 4.0 would be best suited for?

Reply 30 of 44, by Cesora

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Baoran just because it's cool. I have no practical use for it as my main 98se rig already does everything I want. However, I have never owned a board that can take 2 cpus and I would love just to be able to build something awesome! I found the board neglected by the side of the road and it has sparked my curiosity

Reply 31 of 44, by Cesora

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I have successfully updated the bios and now it is recognising an 80gb ide hdd. I know windows 9x won't make use of a second CPU, so would 2000 be the best bet? I still need to get a matching CPU of course.

Reply 32 of 44, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WinXP is doable but wont make much of a gaming rig even with duel 600's
I would go with Win2k. Just about all Win9x games still work and it crashes far less.

Once you do get 2 CPU's you'll need to specify the machine type as "Standard MPS" due to the buggy ACPI implementation on that revision of the motherboard.
You do this by tapping F5 as soon as the setup screen goes from black to blue. If you see the F6 for storage controller message you've already missed it.

Reply 33 of 44, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-02-18, 11:42:

Once you do get 2 CPU's you'll need to specify the machine type as "Standard MPS" due to the buggy ACPI implementation on that revision of the motherboard.
You do this by tapping F5 as soon as the setup screen goes from black to blue. If you see the F6 for storage controller message you've already missed it.

That was valuable information - I have a P2B-DS as well .. 😀

Does that apply for both W2000 and WXP?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 34 of 44, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes 2K, XP, 03, any OS that supports ACPI.
Motherboards rev 1.12 and later had the issue fixed if your lucky enough to have one of those.

Reply 35 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-17, 10:39:

What you would you use such old dual slot server motherboard for? As some kind of linux server?
I have a gigabyte GA-6BXD with dual P3 450Mhz attached to it, but I have no idea what I would use such thing for personally. Would there be some retro use that a Windows NT 4.0 would be best suited for?

I'm facing same dilemma with my Abit BP6 (dual PPGA Celeron). It's not my highest priority, but I intend to run NT4 and OS/2 Warp4 SMP edition if I can find it. Oh, and BeOS. For the teapot 😉

As for applications - well, no game that would run on that hardware other than Quake 3 would actually use two CPUs, and that would run awfully. Also already have a Core i3 server on 24/7, so this would be nothing more than a curiosity.

Reply 36 of 44, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote on 2020-02-17, 10:39:

Twenty years ago I used to run NT4 on my GA-6BXD, I still have the system and have all of W98SE + NT4 + W2K + WXP + 2003 installed and of these 2003 works the best. I use it mainly for testing the SIV GPU support as it can handle several GPUs.

file.php?id=77205

Attachments

• RK3.png
    Filename
    RK3.png
    File size
    67.68 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 37 of 44, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2020-02-18, 12:19:

Yes 2K, XP, 03, any OS that supports ACPI.
Motherboards rev 1.12 and later had the issue fixed if your lucky enough to have one of those.

I've never come across a rev 1.12 P2B-DS. I thought they went only as high as 1.06.

Reply 39 of 44, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cesora wrote on 2020-02-18, 20:53:

What graphics card would be a good match? I have a spare voodoo 3 3000, but I imagine the windows 2000 drivers are poor. I also have a ti 4800se, a radeon 7500, 9800 and 3650.

Something with two cores obviously 😉

That very quickly comes down to a Voodoo5 5500 (as the Rage Fury doesn't have drivers for SMP OSs)