VOGONS

Hen's teeth and unicorns

Topic actions

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just thinking about rare things I'd like to have some day but likely never will. What are yours?

My three right now:

• Asus P/I-P65UP8 motherboard with the P6ND Pentium Pro daughterboard
  • A loaded Quantum3D AAlchemy 8164 system
  • ALR Revolution 6x6 machine

Reply 4 of 41, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't like to discuss hens teeth and unicorns that I'm missing, because that normally makes them more difficult to find.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 41, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Baoran wrote:

First thing that comes to my mind is original mint Ibm 5150 PC.

Those were produced in huge numbers. Was any other model of computer produced in greater numbers?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 41, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

A Time Machine. A real one.

wKkoqaQ.png

Then I can go back to 1991 and relive all of my memories (to be 27 again, ah yes! 😁 ). And I'll also bring my current knowledge, experiences and finances to make it even better (of course 😈 ).

In addition, I would go back a bit further (1978 to be precise) and somehow convince this group of people that their current job is a dead end and will never amount to anything.

McDPmoO.png

(Well hey, I can dream. Can't I ? 🤣 ).

PS: Go here to find out who they are.

https://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-1978-photo-2011-1

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 9 of 41, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me a machine I used back in my college days, an IBM RT-6150 ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_6150_RT ) running AIX 2.2.1.

Spent all its time getting hammered with student code (Pascal and Cobol mostly, some small amounts of C) and the awful Samna word processor/spreadsheet (would like to revisit that too (am I a glutton for punishment or what)).

Never appreciated it back in the day but now I would love to see what I could get it to do knowing what I know now.

Reply 10 of 41, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another personal thing has been to build the exactly same pc that was my first pc ever, but after few years of trying and no luck in finding the parts, I don't think that is ever going to happen.

Reply 11 of 41, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure people will laugh but unless im importing and paying fat stacks of money in my country is impossible to find:
Voodoo 1, Voodoo 2, Voodoo 5(working that do not cost a liver and a kidney), IBM PC, XT,AT,PS/2.
Pretty rare and expensive :
cp500.jpg this is a national clone of the TRS-80 model 4 called CP-500 made by Prologica.
In my country computers from 70's and 80's are very rare since it was ridiculously expensive and only real rich people or big organizations could afford, at the time my parents could be considered very privileged people on a financial point of view and they had a zx spectrum as home computer.
In the 90's computer was cheaper to get,however still expensive for the majority of the people(in july of '94 the minimum wage was about 60 US dollars, yes, this is what lots of people would make in a month), only in 2005 the government did a program that made low end computers accessible to every "middle class" family.
That's why most of hardware that is abundant elsewhere is pretty rare here.

Reply 12 of 41, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wasn't Brazil making its own computers in the 70s and 80s? I believe the country had very high tariffs on foreign computers in that era.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 13 of 41, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote:

Wasn't Brazil making its own computers in the 70s and 80s? I believe the country had very high tariffs on foreign computers in that era.

Yup, usually cloning stuff, but even the clones were expensive for the the majority of the population.

Reply 14 of 41, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The SSDK and LSDK packages for the ARIA16 based sound cards.

* SSDK (Synthesizer Software Development Kit)
* LSDK (Listener Software Development Kit)
* LSDK Upgrade Kit (upgrades a SSDK to a LSDK)

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/PCsoundcards/aria/faq/

Sierra made them available for free but only allowed them to be hosted by a single person and of course that site is no longer and the downloads were not saved on the internet archive because it was an ftp.... BLEH 😵

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 41, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sega Dreamcast developer station, aka Katana
http://devkits.handheldmuseum.com/SegaDC_Katana.htm
The last time I saw one for sale it was going for about $10k. That was 6 or 7 years ago.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 16 of 41, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To me, here are the things I'd like to have someday even though I probably will never manage to find them at reasonable prices (or at all):

- A 3dfx Voodoo 3 3500 video card
- A Sonet Crescendo/WS G4 500 CPU upgrade module for my Powerbook G3.
- A Nintendo 64DD Disk Drive and some disks to go with it.
- A Laserdisc player (I have a small collection of LDs that I'd like to see in action someday).
- A CED player and some discs/records to go with it (for those who don't know, CEDs are like vinyl records with video on them. They come in protective cases, though).
- A D-VHS VCR, some Dtheater tapes, and a set of blank D-VHS tapes.
- A DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) player and some tapes to go with it.

Yeah, as you can see, there's a lot of obscure audiovisual equipment that I'd like to have someday if by chance I get lucky enough to find them on the cheap.

JayCeeBee64 wrote:

A Time Machine. A real one.

-snip-

Then I can go back to 1991 and relive all of my memories (to be 27 again, ah yes! 😁 ). And I'll also bring my current knowledge, experiences and finances to make it even better (of course 😈 ).

Same here. I'd use a time machine to save some of the computers I stupidly threw away as a kid and to go back to the 1960s/70s to prevent the early classic Doctor Who episodes from being erased (I'd need a lot of blank Quadruplex tape reels first so that BBC can use those for production purposes instead).

Reply 17 of 41, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
.legaCy wrote:
Errius wrote:

Yup, usually cloning stuff, but even the clones were expensive for the the majority of the population.

What clones was it producing? Did it clone the IBM PC?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 18 of 41, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got no strange hardware (except a HP LX200), but I had a Canon Navigador that was an all-in-one computer that included a XT computer with touchscreen, a phone (with answering machine) and a fax in the same unit. It was meant to be disposed, but I got it (and later sold to someone that cared about computers).

Canon made some strange computers. My ex-boss had a 486 laptop with monochrome screen... and a built-in printer. Googling it shows that the model was a Canon BN22 and it's easy to find photos, but not complete articles.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 19 of 41, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

Canon made some strange computers. My ex-boss had a 486 laptop with monochrome screen... and a built-in printer. Googling it shows that the model was a Canon BN22 and it's easy to find photos, but not complete articles.

Sounds like an "Office Assistant", which are all-in-ones that were primarily produced for the Japanese market.