VOGONS

First post, by Marek_Sp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have a problem with starting communication with FT232RL.. The program works in DosBox correctly, but nothing happens and I do not know how to run checks and see what's happening. The program uses several Tx, RTS, CTS and DTR pins and Com1-4. can anyone help me with configuration and observation of what is happening?
Linux Mint 18.3

Reply 1 of 6, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a rather confusing request. FT232RL is a USB to serial converter, so what "program" are you trying to run? What is your intended goal here? What are you connecting to the other end of the FT232RL? Are you using a null modem or straight cable?

In DosBox, you should be able to set the serial line in your config to:
serial1=directserial realport:ttyS0

But my serial port is already reserved right now by getty, so I can't easily test.

Reply 2 of 6, by Marek_Sp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I configured serial1=directserial realport:ttyS0 right at the beginning,the program controls the device via rs232 but there are no laptops with these ports. I use between the PC and the adapter RT232RL. I'm sorry, my english is bad

Reply 3 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You trying to connect One Computer with DOSBox via USB Serial to your MS-DOS PC right ?

do you have the necessary user rights to access RS232 ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 5 of 6, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I did some additional testing and wasn't able to make it work either, even on an SVN build, despite finding some clear advice to indicate my previous config suggestion was correct. That said, that particular page doesn't give very good advice on the Linux side; on any Debian-based machine you should just add yourself to the dialout group and not need to change permissions on the device file. If you got it working in Linux already you have likely done this.

I was, however, able to get it working fine in QEMU if that's an alternative for you. VirtualBox should do it too, though I believe QEMU has better DOS sound device emulation. Both of these would require bootable DOS or FreeDOS installation media of course. Let me know if you want any advice pursing this approach.

Sorry I wasn't more help.

Reply 6 of 6, by Marek_Sp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have to come back to the topic again. This time I chose a laptop with a real comm port. Old Dell 620. System Win7 and same problem DosBox can't open comport 1. How to find out why this is so? what are the mistakes?