VOGONS

First post, by Armand Karlsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just put together a Tualatin-based machine with a little generic Akasa CPU cooler (like this), but overall it's somewhat noisier than I'd like. I can easily do stuff like swap in quiet/silent chassis fans, but what are my options for a quiet CPU cooler; can I cool the CPU passively? CPU is a 1.4GHz PIII-S.

Reply 1 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

can I cool the CPU passively? CPU is a 1.4GHz PIII-S.

No, but with copper cooler you can noticeably decrease fan RPM.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Closest you can get is passive is something like the Zalman CNPS6000 - a big flower-like heatsink with a big fan mounted on a bracket over it. If you replace the default 80mm Zalman fan (which is pretty quiet already) with a huge 120mm Noctua Redux, it is as close to silent as you are going to get. I'm using it on a P3-1000, and intend to upgrade to Celeron 1400 as soon as I have time to get the slocket working (133MHz FSB isn't stable on my motherboard...).

Reply 3 of 13, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

losest you can get is passive is something like the Zalman CNPS6000

That won''t be enough for 1400-S.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

losest you can get is passive is something like the Zalman CNPS6000

That won''t be enough for 1400-S.

Oh? It only dissipates 32W. That's all of 3W more than the P3-1000 it handles now with no problems at all.

Just ramp up the airflow if it gets too warm.

Reply 5 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The stock Intel socket 370 coolers are pretty quiet

There are also some thin-fin coolers that are pretty quiet as well. You can always put in an in-line fan speed controller to adjust the speed as long as you monitor temps to find out what is a good compromise between fan speed and cooling.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antec-Solution-Plus- … r-/272846399589

If you want passive and your board has holes in the board to mount larger coolers, you can use something like a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or pretty much any other heatpipe cooler as long as you make a mounting system yourself.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 13, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my experience with Copermine 1000 EB (identical to P3-S in terms of power consumption):
- even stock cooler from 500-600 MHz is sufficient
- Zalman CNPS6000 - worst possible solution on earth (i really owned it when it was actual), but it has a nice bracket for external fan, which you can use with
- any bulky athlon xp coolers, like igloo 2420/2520/2461 or TTC-D5TB/G/CU35/LD2/SC

Reply 8 of 13, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_UV_ wrote:

i really owned it when it was actual

I did too, it cooled my main rig's xp 2200+ for six years. Now it's cooling the same cpu at lower clock rates. That's the full copper version by the way.

Also have the igloo 2421 but that thing doesn't cut it.

Reply 9 of 13, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vvbee
I had all Cu too. Heavy, can't be really used as passive if you care about temperature, clip is too tight so you can easily damage CPU or socket. Zalman was overhiped, but later models like 7000/8000 and Performa series really make difference (i'm using 8700, 9700 and P10+/11 right now on 939, AM3+, 775, 1155 and 1366).
I never had Athlon XP (PIII > P4 > A64 >A64x2), and never cared about "silence" till maybe 2012, because before that my PC never been used during nights.

A week ago i tested 1000EB with something "intel stock cooler" and titan/igloo + 80mm fan. After an 8-hour 3dmark (general system stability, mainly mobo and graphics card) CPU was about 45C. Athlon XP about twice more power hungry than Coppermine/Tualatin.

Reply 10 of 13, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I've got the igloo clip on the zalman now. It's really tight, much tighter than the original and probably too tight to ever come off. Socket and cpu are fine.

The xp I've got it cooling now idles at 35 c or so, and about 40 c under load. That's passive with incidental airflow from the system fan.

I bought the zalman after trialing the thermaltake volcano 6 for two days. I was all about silence after that experience.

Reply 11 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if there some bigger brick which can be mounted by some silent 80 or 92mm fan.. because problem with all these heatsinks was that cooler was small.. I have now some getting brick with 50 or 60mm Noctua and low rpm adapter but its still too noisy.

Or maybe there are some new age adapter which could help mount some more modern bigger coolers from 775 etc on socket A/370.

Im also using some funnel 3D printed adapters on my Super Socket machine, but its 15W, these are 33W and some SocketA CPu are even 65W or so.. Im not really sure how good these are from cooling performance but there are silent when they are used big Noctua or similar fans..

2019-05-18 18.19.54-ATto-ATX.jpg-AndBiggerCooler.jpg
Filename
2019-05-18 18.19.54-ATto-ATX.jpg-AndBiggerCooler.jpg
File size
63.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 12 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check this out i found some better than standard bricks and have 92x92mm fan options.

Thermalright SI-97, 92mm fan
https://bjorn3d.com/2005/03/thermalright-si-9 … eatsink-review/

Thermalright SI-97-A almost same, 92mm fan
https://www.quietpc.com/tr-si-97a

Thermalright SLK800 - massive brick, 80mm fan
https://www.overclockers.com/thermalright-slk800/

Scythe-katana original Tower cooler:
https://silentpcreview.com/scythe-katana/

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 13 of 13, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some models for 3D printers:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21112 // I thing that i used these ones..