VOGONS

First post, by veggies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The SCB-7 was sort of an SC-55 trimmed down a bit just for video games (which you probably already know). Both it and the SC-55 are of course General MIDI devices. Just wondering which of these are the correct choice and will feature the fullest sound.

Thanks!

Edit: I think I answered my own question. One of the options is "Roland RAP-10/SCC-1". The RAP-10 is another topic, but the SCC-1 is basically just an SC-55 in ISA form. Guess I should go with that?

Reply 1 of 4, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I would concur with the SCC-1 option. That should be the GS compatible option if one exists.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 3 of 4, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never knew that?! I've always played WC3 using the Gen-Midi option and it never dawned on me to try the Rap-10 as I figured it was just Gen-Midi still and didn't have anything specific to the GS bank? I played WC3 originally on my souped up 486 back in the day with my SCB-55 attached to my SB16. So is there a difference in the sound between the SCC-1/Rap-10 option and Gen-Midi?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 4 of 4, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the Roland stuff was offering GS, not just GM, but really, I don't think it matters what you selected. If the game uses GS, I don't see why it would stop doing that if you select the MPU-401 GM option.

Does anyone know of any game that ever existed where you'd get a different sound if you select the generic "MPU-401" option vs a specific Roland option?