VOGONS

First post, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my radeon 7000 PCI doesnt have win3.1 drivers but id like to keep my system on DVI connection to my monitor?? any options?
or must i use VGA?

was there not a RAGE PRO card that had DVI/VGA connections? i know my sawtooth AGP mac had a card, surely theres a PC equivelant?
but oh ya that was AGP... i need PCI. is there an ati RAGE PCI card with DVI? does the original RADEON have a win3.1 driver?
what card do i need

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 1 of 13, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You might find old ATI or Nvidia PCI cards with digital DFP connectors, and use a DVI adapter for them. Matrox G200 has an addon digital daughter card, which may work in Win 3.1 as well.

Reply 2 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one here. Number Nine SR9 SGRAM, with S3 Savage4 Xtreme chip and DVI-I. There are 3.1 drivers for the Savage4.

Edit: damn, this is AGP, sorry. I'll look a bit deeper...

Edit2: S3 Savage is the place to look. I found this, although it's almost certainly going to be hard to find:

Appian Graphics Gemini DVI-I PCI
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item/513 … emini-dvi-i-pci

Reply 4 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:

easier to just use a VGA to DVI adapter

depnds, if the display has only DVI-D or you want to use DVI to HDMI adapters that is not going to work. For that you would need a scaler/converter.

Reply 5 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OT: is it normal for graphics cards to deliver audio over DVI? I just connected a HDMI-to-DVI adaptor cable to my card's DVI and I've got sound coming out of the port. I had no idea this was possible.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 6 of 13, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

OT: is it normal for graphics cards to deliver audio over DVI? I just connected a HDMI-to-DVI adaptor cable to my card's DVI and I've got sound coming out of the port. I had no idea this was possible.

That's not standard as DVI does not have pins for audio signals. What is happening here is that some unused pins (DVI->HDMI can only use single link DVI, so everything for the second link is hanging around useless) have been re-purposed by a card that natively supports HDMI to transport (digital) sound over them. This requires a DVI to HDMI adaptor (not the other way round!) that has been designed for specifically this card.

Reply 7 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

Sorta. DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible and DVI is a subset of HDMI. At some point ATI (radeon HD 3000 series IIRC) and Nvidia (GTX 200 series IIRC) started to support audio over DVI as well. Technically Audio over DVI violates the DVI spec but it was done to make the use of DVI devices over HDMI easier and more convenient. The Same goes for HDCP, which is also not supposed to work over DVI, but does for the same reasons. Conversely, there are also displays that take audio and HDCP over DVI.

Another reason for this "misuse" of DVI is, that using HDMI incurs license fees, while DVI does not.

Reply 8 of 13, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

[This requires a DVI to HDMI adaptor (not the other way round!) that has been designed for specifically this card.

not in my experience. While it is technically a proprietary modification, I have never come across a card that does audio over DVI that needs a special adapter and every "ebay special" cable and adapter I have had in the past works just fine.

Reply 10 of 13, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My HIS-RADEON 7000 PCI has DVI and VGA.
I only use VGA because it has a nearly 100% centered image on my TFT (Textmode/VGA-Lowres/EGA-LowRes)
Though it has no native Win3x Driver, but the SVGA driver from WfW works just fine. So 256colors from 640x480 up to 1024x768.
I strongly recommend that card. It has excellent performance and features for Retro-Gaming up to 800x600 32Bit.

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2018-12-10, 15:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 11 of 13, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Audio is transmitted during blanking regions in the LVDS links, no additional or special signals are needed.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 13, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
I have one here. Number Nine SR9 SGRAM, with S3 Savage4 Xtreme chip and DVI-I. There are 3.1 drivers for the Savage4. […]
Show full quote

I have one here. Number Nine SR9 SGRAM, with S3 Savage4 Xtreme chip and DVI-I. There are 3.1 drivers for the Savage4.

Edit: damn, this is AGP, sorry. I'll look a bit deeper...

Edit2: S3 Savage is the place to look. I found this, although it's almost certainly going to be hard to find:

Appian Graphics Gemini DVI-I PCI
http://vgamuseum.info/index.php/news/item/513 … emini-dvi-i-pci

I/O Data Savage4 cards are cheap and come in PCI + DFP variants. I'm running one with Windows 3.1.

j^aws wrote:

Matrox G200 has an addon digital daughter card, which may work in Win 3.1 as well.

Can confirm this works in Windows 3.1 with drivers.

Last edited by Rawit on 2018-12-11, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube