VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a radeon x850 card that doesn't seem to work. It claims that the power cable isn't connected even when it isn't on the screen. When the computer is turned on and message is on the screen I decide to check the voltages from the pins of the power supply connector on the video card board. I get a spark and the power supply turns off. I don't understand how that is possible. The multimeter is set at 20V range and I touch with the black lead to one of the middle ground pins and the with the red lead I touch the pin that 12V goes to. I have done that multiple times before and measuring voltage has never caused sparks before.

The power supply didn't turn on after I removed the video card and I installed the normal video card to the system, but perhaps 10 minutes later the power supply turned back on, so perhaps there is some kind of timer after short circuit protection has been tripped or something?
Anyway, I don't know if there is any way I could try to fix the card or what could have caused the short circuit there. It is not like I was trying to measure current or anything like that and never head trouble measuring voltages with that multimeter before.
If anyone has any thoughts about this, I would really want to know what happened...

Reply 1 of 3, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have shorted out the PSU at the incoming power plug of the video card, then hopefully, there is no damage to the video card (as you probably weren't drawing the short through the video card and motherboard)

Are you positive that you didn't have the probes connected to the current measuring plugs on your multimeter. This would definitely short out between the red and black cables.

The PSU would have shut off due to overcurrent limits, which causes a polyfuse to disable the PSU. Once the polyfuse cools down (10 minutes or so), it resets and you can use the PSU. Saves a lot of RMA and customer support frustration over blowing a normal fuse!

Reply 2 of 3, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically I have never measured current with that multimeter, So the lead has never been connected to that current measuring connector.

connector.jpg
Filename
connector.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I did put black lead to second to bottom pin first and then I touched the bottom pin with red lead and I got the spark. Difficult to understand what happened. Only thing that would make sense would have been if the red lead touched accidentally the both 2 bottom pins at same time but I thought I was being careful.

Well, the card is probably broken because it thinks that the power cable isn't connected even when it is and I have tried it with 2 motherboards too, but it is good that the psu didn't fry there. I would not have had a replacement psu for that system.