VOGONS

First post, by chrisNova777

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
List of CD-ROM Drive Supported creative CR521 (sbcd.sys) creative CR523 (sbcd.sys) creative CR563 (sbcd.sys) sony CDU31A (sl […]
Show full quote

List of CD-ROM Drive Supported
creative CR521 (sbcd.sys)
creative CR523 (sbcd.sys)
creative CR563 (sbcd.sys)
sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)
MITSUMI CRMC LU005S (MTMCDS.SYS MTMCDE.SYS)
MITSUMI CRMC FX001 (MTMCDAS.SYS MTMCDAE.SYS)
MITSUMI CRMC FX001D (MTMCDAS.SYS MTMCDAE.SYS)

are these the ONLY drives that will *WORK* at all when connected to my SB32(budget AWE32) sound blaster ISA card's IDE CDROM connection port?
i have a 12x and 8x but none of these specific models

http://www.oldschooldaw.com | vintage PC/MAC MIDI/DAW | Asus mobo archive | Sound Modules | Vintage MIDI Interfaces
AM386DX40 | Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 (486DX2-80) | GA586VX (p75) + r7000PCI | ABIT Be6 (pII-233) matroxG400 AGP

Reply 1 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a big difference between "officially supported" and "working". I strongly suspect any ATAPI drive will work, they just haven't tested more than this at Creative.

I have a CT3670 SB32 here, but don't have the right drivers to get its CD support working and no time tonight to figure out how. The SB32 is a budget AWE64 by the way, not an AWE32, so less noisy but always CQM FM (some AWE32 models had Yamaha OPL-3).

Reply 2 of 8, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:
List of CD-ROM Drive Supported creative CR521 (sbcd.sys) creative CR523 (sbcd.sys) creative CR563 (sbcd.sys) sony CDU31A (sl […]
Show full quote

sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)

Don't these drives use a proprietary connection that isn't real IDE?
If the connection on the SB32 is labeled "IDE" I'd definitely try a real IDE drive and not one of those listed above.

Reply 3 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:
Show full quote

sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)

are these the ONLY drives that will *WORK* at all when connected to my SB32(budget AWE32) sound blaster ISA card's IDE CDROM connection port?

those aren't IDE and they won't work on any IDE port. This is a list of drives that use the ancient proprietary interfaces. the "Creative" drives use the panasonic interface (kinda gives away their OEM) and the other ones are named after their manufacturers. Panasonic and mitsumi use 40 pin cables that look just like IDE, the sony ones use 34 pin cables. They all need special drivers and those are listed here.

I am not aware of any AWE32 cards that have those proprietary interfaces. They were long dead by then.

Reply 4 of 8, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skitters wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:
Show full quote

sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)

Don't these drives use a proprietary connection that isn't real IDE?
If the connection on the SB32 is labeled "IDE" I'd definitely try a real IDE drive and not one of those listed above.

I'm fairly confident My CT3600 SB32 has generic IDE and it would seem any generic ATAPI cd-rom should work with it: https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … R-32-IDE-P.html

I'm using it with a creative 8x cd-rom, I forget which model, never really tested it with anything else to really see.

On second thought, I'm remembering having this conversation once before and being showed or told otherwise once before, so take this post with a grain of salt.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 8, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrisNova777 wrote:
Show full quote

sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)

SB32 is a vague term. When dealing with Creative cards, always include the model number. Your card will have a "CTxxxx" number on the upper left edge of the card that will allow us to positively identify capabilities and limitations.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 6 of 8, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's definitely IDE (which as others have said it should be if it's an AWE32) then yes, any IDE drive will work. Doesn't even have to be a CD drive, I've successfully used a Zip drive connected to the sound card without any issues and I've heard of people using hard drives as well. Only limitation is that the system BIOS will only support the primary and sometimes secondary IDE channels, so if you already have two IDE channels and plan on making the sound card the third one, then you probably won't be able to boot from any devices connected to it. You may also have to configure drivers manually, as not all of them search beyond the first two IDE channels automatically, if at all.

Re that list of non-IDE CD drives, if you ever see one for sale make sure you grab it because they are very rare! Still looking for a Mitsumi one myself, but have the Panasonic/Creative and Sony drives, by luck more than anything else (picked them up years ago in a cheap lot of "broken" CD drives).

Reply 7 of 8, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:
chrisNova777 wrote:
Show full quote

sony CDU31A (slcd.sys)
sony CDU33A (slcd.sys)

SB32 is a vague term. When dealing with Creative cards, always include the model number. Your card will have a "CTxxxx" number on the upper left edge of the card that will allow us to positively identify capabilities and limitations.

I'll add to this now that I have my chart in front of me. The SB32 line of cards includes the CT3600, CT3620, CT3660 and CT3930. The CT3670 often gets called an SB32, but it really is more of an AWE64.

All SB32 cards that have CD-ROM connectors will be IDE. This means that pretty much any CD-ROM drive, except the first ones, will be compatible. Your list of compatible drives appears to be for an early AWE32, which had interfaces for Mitsumi, Panasonic, and Sony. These will not be compatible with an SB32.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 8 of 8, by RetroBoogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

There's a big difference between "officially supported" and "working". I strongly suspect any ATAPI drive will work, they just haven't tested more than this at Creative.

I have a CT3670 SB32 here, but don't have the right drivers to get its CD support working and no time tonight to figure out how. The SB32 is a budget AWE64 by the way, not an AWE32, so less noisy but always CQM FM (some AWE32 models had Yamaha OPL-3).

The CT3930 is a SB32 with genuine OPL3.