VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like some in this forum have an AGP to PCI adapter
but now those are difficult to find.

The reason for such adapter is for example having an AGP 2x, 3.3V card like a voodoo5 To be used on a newer motherboard, like a soket 775 using a PCI slot.
this kind of approach is nice , since a voodoo5 PCI sells for about 400dollars?

Who in this forum has such adapter?
where did you buy it from?
any link for an adapter that works is appreciated

Reply 1 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

New adapters are made in Russia. Some are sold from ebay, but the price is a bit steep: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Adapter-AGP-to- … bwceL:rk:1:pf:0
I have one of those, it works well with 3dfx and S3 AGP cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

New adapters are made in Russia. Some are sold from ebay, but the price is a bit steep: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Adapter-AGP-to- … bwceL:rk:1:pf:0
I have one of those, it works well with 3dfx and S3 AGP cards.

I was going to post that link earlier but ended up doing other stuff instead.

eBay/MasterCard has a promo going on now. $10 off $30 if you pay with a MasterCard. The promo code is: MASTERCARD

Seller only has 2 left for sale right now because I ended up ordering one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cga.8086 wrote:

70 dollars for that adapter from russia is just too much
i wish there were other options, seems that they are the only ones selling that so they put that price

Pretty much... but you have to take into account the cost of R&D as well as the manufacturing of the PCBs, the other components, and the time it takes to assemble them. If this is a one man operation and those are being assembled by hand, you can't really expect them to work for nothing.

The PCB design looks like it is probably not multi-layer from the way the traces are on both sides of the board so it probably wouldn't be that difficult to make a new/improved design.. but I doubt the cost would be much less in the end.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

its easy to make clones of this adapter.

photo_2018-12-12_17-46-21.jpg
Filename
File size
98.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm pretty sure we can make a "Vogons Edition"

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cga.8086 wrote:

hey cyclone, you live in USA?
how much does it cost to send from russia to usa?

I was charged $10 shipping.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

its easy to make clones of this adapter.

I'm pretty sure we can make a "Vogons Edition"

Not quite the same, but it should work for Voodoo cards at least.

That one doesn't show PCI-X support and there are also not as many jumpers/options that you can set.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but it should work for Voodoo cards at least

Listed adapter won't work with anything outside of 3dfx and early AGP cards reliably. I've tried some GeForce cards on a 440BX board - black screen after driver install.

Reply 10 of 14, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Listed adapter won't work with anything outside of 3dfx and early AGP cards reliably. I've tried some GeForce cards on a 440BX board - black screen after driver install.

I also have one. Came with a small collection of 3dfx cards I once bought from someone who stopped collecting. I have tested it after the purchase and also found it was a bit flimsy and not working on every board or with every card. But it worked fine with a 3dfx voodoo5 5500 agp. Never used it and also don't have a use for it as I have all the pci cards I need. Can't sell it tough, beeing a hoarder and all.... 🤣

The big culprit of such an adapter is the fact that it doesn't fit in a case and is only useful for a test setup (unless you create a modified bracket like someone on Vogons did).

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I also have one. Came with a small collection of 3dfx cards I once bought from someone who stopped collecting. I have tested it after the purchase and also found it was a bit flimsy and not working on every board or with every card. But it worked fine with a 3dfx voodoo5 5500 agp. Never used it and also don't have a use for it as I have all the pci cards I need. Can't sell it tough, beeing a hoarder and all.... 🤣

The big culprit of such an adapter is the fact that it doesn't fit in a case and is only useful for a test setup (unless you create a modified bracket like someone on Vogons did).

PCI or AGP riser cable and mount the card elsewhere. Easy enough to do that.

As for compatibility, as far as I understand it, only these types of cards will work with such an adapter.. but I will have to test to verify when the adapter actually arrives. I'll also try to do some testing with a 66Mhz PCI / PCI-X slot.

AGP 1.0
Universal AGP
Universal AGP 3.0

Basically any cards that can fall back to 1x and can use 3.3v - but I am pretty sure that some cards with those specifications will not work with a PCI adapter.

Here is a good page about the different versions of AGP.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 14, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think another big reason why only some early AGP cards and Voodoo cards are compatible with these adapters is the lack of support for any or most advanced AGP features like sideband addressing or using main memory as texture memory via the GART driver. Early GPUs made no use of any of those features or they were purely optional and none of the voodoo cards used them either. Those cards used the AGP simply as a faster PCI slot.

Anything significantly more modern or AGP 3.0 (which made sideband addressing mandatory IIRC), or at least their drivers, will expect those features to be present and probably won't work when they don't. I suspect some compatibility issues with via chipsets (there is a reason sideband addressing was optional in earlier versions) comes from that as well.

Reply 13 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right.. so I shall see what cards I have that will work with the adapter. I'll start with the oldest and work my way up.

For reference, here is one of the really old style adapters.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020806110110/ht … 636205-000.html

ALBATRON was planning on making a PCI-E slot to AGP card adaptor. Not sure if it was ever actually released. I think I remember seeing one for sale or hearing about someone that actually had one.
https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/a-bridge- … express-2736592

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 14, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Time for necroposting. I've tested some cards which worked on Intel TC430HX board:

All Voodoo AGP cards (obviously).
All S3 AGP cards based on original Virge design, including Trio3D/2x. No tested yet Savage 3D or Savage 4, so no idea if they'll work.
All original Rage Pro cards, including Rage Pro Turbo AGP.
Matrox Millenium II AGP cards.
Cirrus Logic Laguna 3D AGP aka CL-5465 (works very slow though).

Cards which did't worked:

3DLabs Permedia 2 AGP - can't boot OS with driver.
Nvidia TNT&TNT2 - can boot OS, but driver is not loaded.
Nvidia GeForce series - can't boot OS with driver.
ATI Rage LT Pro AGP and newer - can boot OS, but driver is not loaded.

Cards which potentially could work:

Nvidia Riva 128 & Riva 128 ZX
SIS 6326 series
Matrox G100

Overall this adapter works well with Intel chipsets, judging from Socket 7/Slot 1 era, but everything else is hit or miss.