VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I finally ended the ali drivers comparative.
The system:
K6-2 500 mhz (100x5)
Asus p5a rev 104
128mb ram pc133 (so I can use the fastest timings at 100 mhz)
Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64
20 gb hard drive
Windows 98 SE
Nvidia detonator_3_w9x-805

Every time I installed windows from scratch, enabled the DMA for the hard drive, installed the Ali drivers, video drivers (with rivatuner I disabled the vsync in both direct3d and opengl), latest directx (in that order, things get messed up easily be aware).
For this driver round up I didn't use the infamous agp_utility v1.40 (that will be covered in the second part).

Best results are achieved with V2.13, the latest version downloadable from nvidia website crash during the install, I tried to manually install it but the results are noticeable lower.
I suspect that the highest results on incoming were achieved without installing the latest directx (with the older ali drivers), I also noticed that it was the benchmark with most variance in his results, while quake was the one with lowest difference.
In the next part I will try to mess with the utility to see if I can get better results using the V2.13 as base.

I have to say that results are usually lower compared with mvp3 system except for Incoming.

Attachments

• test.png
    Filename
    test.png
    File size
    26.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 9, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Am386DX-40 wrote on 2022-02-03, 21:54:

Awesome work. I've just been messing around with a K6-3/400 on a Gigabyte 5AX. This comes really handy!

Could you share some results? I'm just in the process of setting up a GA-5AA.

From testing it seems the MVP3 chipset is a bit faster.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 4 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh! This is invaluable!! Thank you so much for doing this!!!

Has anyone done a comparison for mvp3 or sis530?

mwdmeyer wrote on 2022-02-05, 05:20:

Awesome work. I've just been messing around with a K6-3/400 on a Gigabyte 5AX. This comes really handy!

I’ve been playing with a mvp3 freeway board lately. Performance seems very close possibly better than my p5a 1.04. But there is no question that the ali V has the better memory controller for adding more ram. Thr mvp3 is suuuper picky about what ram is used. But the memory speed, seems to depend on the board and bios used? I’ve had really good results on the freeway, but also impressive results on the p5a.

Between the two I prefer the freeway. But I have a 503+ and I prefer the p5a over it. I also have the 5aa but it’s a early version. Agp is picky on it.

My personal ranking:
Freeway
P5a 1.04
Early version 5aa
P5a 1.06

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 6 of 9, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote on 2022-02-05, 06:38:

Why early 5aa? I’ve got a version 3.2 and also a 1.1

I haven’t been too happy with stability and overclockability on my early 5aa.

I think mine is a 2.something. So maybe calling it a mid version is more accurate.

The 3.something got better power conversion and later chipset versions I believe.

I’m just ranking what I have. Also it seems like p5a and p5b had better performance. But oddly the later versions give lots of trouble on those. I had a 1.06 and had nothing but issues. The mod worked but board was still unstable.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 9, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh right, I thought you meant you preferred 1.1 over the 3.2 rev.

I've got a bunch of benchmarks with my MVP3 here.
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Super_So … et_7_Benchmarks

I like the Soltek SL-54U5, is stable and fast. Just having issues finding a PS2 header for it.

I'm struggling to get close to the Soltek performance wise on the 5AA. For me 128mb is enough for a K6 2/3. Once you install the memory patch for the MVP3 it is very quick.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8 of 9, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-02-05, 05:41:
Oh! This is invaluable!! Thank you so much for doing this!!! […]
Show full quote

Oh! This is invaluable!! Thank you so much for doing this!!!

Has anyone done a comparison for mvp3 or sis530?

I’ve been playing with a mvp3 freeway board lately. Performance seems very close possibly better than my p5a 1.04. But there is no question that the ali V has the better memory controller for adding more ram. Thr mvp3 is suuuper picky about what ram is used. But the memory speed, seems to depend on the board and bios used? I’ve had really good results on the freeway, but also impressive results on the p5a.

Between the two I prefer the freeway. But I have a 503+ and I prefer the p5a over it. I also have the 5aa but it’s a early version. Agp is picky on it.

My personal ranking:
Freeway
P5a 1.04
Early version 5aa
P5a 1.06

If you were asking me, yes, I did the comparison also for the via4in1 for the mvp3 I posted the result in another topic.
I never tested the sis since it's not a real ss7 chipset.

Reply 9 of 9, by Am386DX-40

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine was the 5AX though, and I didn't do any serious benchmark, just compared the k6-2 to the k6-3 clock for clock and 3-400 vs 2-500. Don't even remember what 3d card I used.
What I do remember though, is that I discovered something weird going on with the performance depending on how you populate the memory slots. I was benchmarking all the way from 16mb up to 512mb to see the effects of the "cacheable range" (and see if the k6-3 fixed that) but I found that there were HUGE dips in performance when dimms were installed in a certain way. Don't know why, can't explain, but for example (I'm making this up, but you get the idea) you install a 64mb dimm on slot 1 and a 128mb dimm on slot 2 and you get good/normal performance, now you add a 64mb dimm on slot 3 and you get horrible performance. You switch the 128mb to slot 3 and the 64mb in slot 3 to slot 2 and performance is restored. Sometimes you had to leave 1 slot free, it varied a lot.

I can try to reproduce those again as I have the board at hand.