VOGONS

Edited

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was quite happy to see that my P5W-DH Deluxe can run a E5450 (it had an X3220)
It only gives the uCode error but I need to assemble the PC to check if it runs without a problem.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 21 of 25, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would add P965 based boards to list as well (based on price/perf, since P45/P35 are usually premium).
I managed 520MHz on 65nm quad core on my X48 board 😉

Nvidia nForce Intel chipset have one HUGE advantage over Intel stuff : FSB/DRAM can go beyond 1:1 mark (ie. DRAM real clock can be lower than real FSB clock).
Can help if you have crappy DDR2 memory that isn't capable of high speeds.
Otherwise, Intel chipset will clock CPUs higher/easier. On top of that, in nForce you get Hyper Transport to worry about (the between bridges communication lane, it's linked to FSB speed).

That Striker is the OG one (680i, ie. this : LINK) ?

157143230295.png

Reply 22 of 25, by deleted_nk

User metadata
agent_x007 wrote:
I would add P965 based boards to list as well (based on price/perf, since P45/P35 are usually premium). I managed 520MHz on 65nm […]
Show full quote

I would add P965 based boards to list as well (based on price/perf, since P45/P35 are usually premium).
I managed 520MHz on 65nm quad core on my X48 board 😉

Nvidia nForce Intel chipset have one HUGE advantage over Intel stuff : FSB/DRAM can go beyond 1:1 mark (ie. DRAM real clock can be lower than real FSB clock).
Can help if you have crappy DDR2 memory that isn't capable of high speeds.
Otherwise, Intel chipset will clock CPUs higher/easier. On top of that, in nForce you get Hyper Transport to worry about (the between bridges communication lane, it's linked to FSB speed).

That Striker is the OG one (680i, ie. this : LINK) ?

The one I picked up was the mark II Formula variant with the 780i chipset. I'm not sure yet but I'm thinking of pairing this up with a modded 771 Xeon in the future if the chipset and BIOS supports it, I can't really make a good educated guess until it arrives. This is probably unlikely considering I don't even know if the nforce chipset supports the Xeons.

Reply 25 of 25, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

best board I ever had for 775 was honestly a Gigabyte P965 DQ6, it pushed my first Q6600 GO to 3.8 pretty happily, granted the 965 chipset lacks alot of nice stuff later chipsets brought though