VOGONS

First post, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just built my 286 machine 4 days ago, and it uses a IBM CGA adapter that came out of an IBM 5155. I plan on putting a VGA card in it as soon as it arrives, but I'm stuck with CGA for now. The problem is that when I run a program that tries to use the graphics modes of the CGA adapter, they act like I don't have a graphics card installed. The color text modes work, as edit.com and Microsoft Diagnostics load in full 16 colors, but programs requiring the graphics modes just don't work. The secret of monkey island gives the error message: "This Program Requires A Graphics Card", and the preview document mode of Word 5.0 for MS-DOS gives the error message "Cannot switch to graphics mode". Oddly enough, windows 2.01 and 3.0a run just fine, and give no issues. I ran the onboard American Megatrends video adapter test, and everything worked fine, but it still does not agree with the DOS programs. Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
-David

Last edited by dkarguth on 2019-02-01, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 1 of 16, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What does your BIOS setup say? You can set the type of graphics adapter there. Some older 286 boards even have jumpers for setting the type of adapter.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 2 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the video adapter set to "80x25 color". Other modes in the list are "40x25 color" "80x25 monochrome" "40x25 monochrome" and "None". I have the video jumper set to color.

Reply 3 of 16, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

80x25 color should be CGA. Should be fine, IMHO. However, I have never owned a CGA card, nor a fitting monitor. So I do not know if there are any incompatibilities...

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dkarguth wrote:

Oddly enough, windows 2.01 and 3.0a run just fine, and give no issues.
I ran the onboard American Megatrends video adapter test, and everything worked fine [..]

Hm. Windows 2.x uses monochrome mode, 640x200 (aka BIOS Mode 06h), maybe that's why it works.
Anyway, just thinking out loud. I'd try that CGA Compatibility Tester program for further testing. 😀
Maybe there's some issues with memory allocation of the CGA framebuffer, etc.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have already set the jumper to the color position. Another odd thing is that windows 3.0a setup identifies the card as a hercules monochrome card every time I run it. If I continue with setup with the hercules monochrome option selected, it garbles the screen and I have to reset the computer. However, if I force it to install in CGA mode, it installs just fine. I'm going to try that CGA tester program you specified and report back the results here.

Reply 7 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm. Strange. Perhaps there's a Hercules card still in the PC ?
Some of the smaller clone cards can be mistaken easily for a serial-parallel combo card.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first thing I tried was removing all other cards from the system. The only cards at this point are the CGA card and an Acculogic IDE/Floppy controller. The video card is an IBM OEM CGA adapter. Like the OG one from 1981.

1XDQELh.jpg?1

Reply 9 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hmmm, now edit.com and qb.exe default to 4 color monochrome, that's odd. It doesn't even give me an option to change it.

Reply 10 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as i know some early Cards only run correctly at 4.77Mhz, and the 286 for sure has 8Mhz ISA Bus.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 11 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would make sense. Is there a possibility I am damaging the card by essentially overclocking it? I don't want to ruin it, it's a pretty expensive card.

Reply 12 of 16, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know about IBMs CGA Card but the MDA Adapter will overclock, and therefore will not work fine with 8Mhz Bus Speed 😳

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem solved by installing a VGA card. 🤣

One more thing though, Now that I have a VGA card in the machine I can't use my commodore 1084 monitor with it. I find this dissapointing because I quite like the aesthetic of the 1084 over more "modern" crt displays. I like how the 1084 sits flat on the desk without any kind of swivel base, has a smaller, more compact footprint, and that it is flat on top so you can set things on top of it.
Does anyone know of a VGA monitor that is more like the MDA/CGA/EGA era monitors in form factor?

Reply 14 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^Um, you could hook up the VGA card to a Composite converter and keep the Commodore.
Sure, the picture is a bit blurry, but not that bad. See https://youtu.be/VZMme7Edx6s

//My video channel//

Reply 15 of 16, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought about doing just that. The only problem is that it does tend to get a bit soft with the smaller fonts. However, the commodore has some kind of unusual internal video sharpening circuitry that remedies this. If you plug in a composite source in composite mode, it looks like you would expect a composite source to look, kinda blurry and strange color artifacts everywhere. However, if you switch it to the SEP mode for the separate commodore luma-chroma signal and you don't have a commodore video source plugged in, it makes the composite source look almost like RGB. I'll have to go searching for the schematics sometime to see exactly what it's doing.

Reply 16 of 16, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dkarguth wrote:

Problem solved by installing a VGA card. 🤣

One more thing though, Now that I have a VGA card in the machine I can't use my commodore 1084 monitor with it. I find this dissapointing because I quite like the aesthetic of the 1084 over more "modern" crt displays. I like how the 1084 sits flat on the desk without any kind of swivel base, has a smaller, more compact footprint, and that it is flat on top so you can set things on top of it.
Does anyone know of a VGA monitor that is more like the MDA/CGA/EGA era monitors in form factor?

Do the ubiquitous Sony studio monitors support VGA? They look similar in style to the 1084...

YouTube and Bonus