First post, by red_avatar
I have about a dozen CD / DVD drives lying about, from Plextor to Sony to Philips to Hitachi. Most of them are in too poor a condition to use - sticking trays, scratched discs, trouble reading discs, making odd noises, causing games to stutter due to taking too long to spin up, ... . I actually only have TWO reliable drives left - a 1999 Pioneer DVD player and a Hitachi 4x CD drive with a badly yellowed front (ordered Salon Cream to whiten).
So basically, I'm going to look around for a few drives since I got 5 retro PC that need reliable drives and I'm already using Daemon Tools in combo with a USB stick for the more recent ones so I want to get proper drives to replace them.
So what drives or brands would you recommend? My main "demands" are:
- not too noisy (I'm fine with a slower 16x drive - 52X tend to be very loud)
- it can be a DVD drive too as long as it's IDE
- white or light grey of colour to fit the cases
- relatively fast spin up / read speed to avoid skipping in games
- good readability - even of CDRs or scratched discs
Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870