VOGONS

First post, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Socket 478 Biostar motherboard that has some issues.

It powers up for a second or two, and shuts off. To get it to power back on, I have to unplug the power supply from the wall, and plug it back in. This alone isn't too strange of a problem, but there's something else too. I plugged in an AGP graphics card to see if it made an difference, and with the AGP card in, the CPU fan runs slower for the few seconds that it actually stays on. 😕 😕 I know it's not the power supply, because it works fine with another board. It's not the RAM, because the computer I took it out of POSTed perfectly fine with it in. I'm pretty sure the CPU works, but by now I'm out of Ideas. All of the caps look good, and when I got it, I did a thorough cleaning of the board, which didn't help anything at all. I really like this board, so I don't want to throw it out. Nothing is burned, or broken. None of the chip legs are touching. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

The power supply that was previously running the board, the fan seized, and it overheated. I'm beginning to suspect that when the crappy power supply overheated, it dead-shorted some of the capacitors on the motherboard. Would a recap help?