VOGONS

First post, by MMX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello ppl. I started read this forum long time ago. But just joined recently 😊
Also long time ago i noticed one interesting thing. But recently i decided to research that thing again 😀
On my Athlon64 3400+ (Newcastle) any intensive program get very high CPU usage. Before i never tested it properly but now i realize that's true. I will not describe all my actions, just short example. I open task manager and then start Quake 3. I change setting of the Quake3 to 1024*768 and fullscreen off. So now i can see task manager. This is enough to test even if quake3 do not let mouse to release from window mode. Supposed i will start DEMOS -> FOUR.DM_68 (standart demo) but WOW i'm already get 100% CPU usage 😲 . Just in menu. That's exactly what i mean. What i want to say even if i get Pentium4 2,4GHz (for example) it will show less frames per second in any quake3 test. But CPU usage will be 60-65% maximum. Small remark, i have win2003 installed on this system. And i want to ask people here who have Athlon64 with WinXP to make same tests. Results should be interesting, i think 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you installed the AMD CPU drivers? Windows XP won't throttle your CPU unless that drivers are installed and the energy options set according the readme.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 12, by MMX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, i installed AMD CPU drivers. May be you mistake throttling for Cool'n'Quiet. In my case Cool'n'Quiet works just fine but my question is totally different. I made screenshot to explain my previous message. There is 100% CPU usage just in menu. Saw some people with Athlon64 on this forum. I wonder what CPU load do they have.

Attachments

• q3-a64_01.jpg
    Filename
    q3-a64_01.jpg
    File size
    225.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMX wrote:

... What i want to say even if i get Pentium4 2,4GHz (for example) it will show less frames per second in any quake3 test. But CPU usage will be 60-65% maximum. ...

Was it a P4 with HyperThreading (HT)? Such chips will show lower CPU usage in such older games because the games aren't designed to utilize more than one thread.

Reply 5 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have v-sync disabled and/or you are CPU limited, it is perfectly normal for the CPU to be maxed out in a menu like that. What fps is the menu running at?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMX wrote:

Yes, i installed AMD CPU drivers. May be you mistake throttling for Cool'n'Quiet. In my case Cool'n'Quiet works just fine but my question is totally different. I made screenshot to explain my previous message. There is 100% CPU usage just in menu. Saw some people with Athlon64 on this forum. I wonder what CPU load do they have.

Cool'n'Quiet is basically CPU throttle (or at least enables it). AMD Athlon 64 will always run in XP at maximum clock unless those drives are installed. When installed, the OS is capable of reducing CPU frequency. My guess is that after installing the drivers maybe the OS can control the CPU better and get more accurate usage statistics.

So another questions would be... what frequency are you running at? Have you benchmarked your computer and compared to another equivalent (same CPU) computers?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 12, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This phenomenon is not Athlon 64 specific and has nothing to do with Cool 'n' Quiet. All 1 core/1 thread CPUs would behave the same. OP's Pentium 4 (as SW-SSG suggested) must be a Hyper Threading enabled CPU so it's a 1 core/ 2 threads variant. That's why it shows CPU usage somewhere between 50% - 100%. A real 2 cores/2 threads CPU like Athlon 64 X2 or Core 2 Duo would show exactly 50% CPU usage if nothing else is running.
QA3 uses 1 thread and by default uses no FPS cap so without V-sync forced in driver it fully uses 1 CPU core. I have attached a picture about a Core 2 Duo 's CPU usage with CPU affinity set to the first core:
As you can see the first core is fully used and overall CPU usage is exactly 50%. In case of Core 2 Quad the overall usage would be 25% and so on. Cool 'n' Quiet is not relevant here since even with different forced performance states by RMClock (e.g. minimum 800 or maximum 2200 MHz in case of A64 3400+) the CPU usage would be always the same, namely 100% on 1 core (only the performance/FPS would be different).

qa3_cpu.jpg
Filename
qa3_cpu.jpg
File size
529.54 KiB
Views
File license

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 8 of 12, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Go into console and type "/com_maxfps 125" to see if it makes a difference. Quake renders framerates 1000/x where x is a whole number. 1000/8 = 125. That should bring down CPU usage since it is uncapped by default. Also set "/cl_maxpackets 60" if you're playing online so you don't get network lag due to the engine trying to send as many packets as FPS you're getting.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 9 of 12, by MMX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:

Was it a P4 with HyperThreading (HT)? Such chips will show lower CPU usage in such older games because the games aren't designed to utilize more than one thread.

Yes. Is that just difference for HyperThreading CPU and no-HyperThreading CPU?

cyclone3d wrote:

If you have v-sync disabled and/or you are CPU limited, it is perfectly normal for the CPU to be maxed out in a menu like that. What fps is the menu running at?

You can't see fps just in menu. I made quick test (with my settings) - 226,5fps.

Falcosoft wrote:

This phenomenon is not Athlon 64 specific and has nothing to do with Cool 'n' Quiet. All 1 core/1 thread CPUs would behave the same..

Perhaps just amd specific? 😀 kidding 😀 May be i read too much all those thing about program compilation mostly for intel. It's all depends from each other. Or may its a good optimization 😉 so on P4 2,4 with 100% usage i get much higher fps. IMHO, there's no matter what program uses CPU but, when it reaches 100% TDP is maximazed and i have so much heat as possible. That's why i have this question. Also i have win2003 sp2 what actually can't run properly even quake3. So, i thought may be WinXP can solve CPU usage. But i really don't wanna reinstall operating system, i made so many tweaks and fixes.

wiretap wrote:

Go into console and type "/com_maxfps 125" to see if it makes a difference..

It was just short example. Older games, mostly, don't allow play in window mode. I have already com_maxfps 125. Here is another screenshot with 100% 😀

Attachments

• q2-a64_01.jpg
    Filename
    q2-a64_01.jpg
    File size
    276.04 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 12, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMX wrote:
SW-SSG wrote:

Yes. Is that just difference for HyperThreading CPU and no-HyperThreading CPU?

Difference between HyperThreading-supported and/or multi-core CPUs vs non-HT and single-core CPUs, as someone said earlier:

Falcosoft wrote:

... All 1 core/1 thread CPUs would behave the same. OP's Pentium 4 (as SW-SSG suggested) must be a Hyper Threading enabled CPU so it's a 1 core/ 2 threads variant. That's why it shows CPU usage somewhere between 50% - 100%. A real 2 cores/2 threads CPU like Athlon 64 X2 or Core 2 Duo would show exactly 50% CPU usage if nothing else is running. ...

Reply 11 of 12, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMHO, there's no matter what program uses CPU but, when it reaches 100% TDP is maximazed and i have so much heat as possible. That's why i have this question. Also i have win2003 sp2 what actually can't run properly even quake3. So, i thought may be WinXP can solve CPU usage.But i really don't wanna reinstall operating system, i made so many tweaks and fixes.

There is absolutely no problem with your OS/CPU so do not reinstall anything.
The simplest solution for your problem is to force enable V-sync in your video card's driver panel.
"/com_maxfps 125" did not solve 100% CPU usage phenomenon on my system either. But by enabling V-sync CPU usage immediately dropped from 100% to 10% on my 3 GHz Core 2 Duo. If your current fps is 226 as you have written by enabling V-sync you would also get much lower CPU usage (assuming 60 Hz refresh rate).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 12 of 12, by MMX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spent my free time to build a system from spare parts that i have and make some tests.

wT4qYHN.jpg

aVDiNQi.jpg

First i installed win2003 SP1 (i think SP1 should have better compatibility). And to run the q3 there still needed some tweaks. So, i had same CPU usage 😀 . I couldn't start 3D Mark 2001 because of fancy operating system and i uninstalled it 😀

hSgmpQo.jpg

rvyNA46.jpg

I installed WinXp SP3 and made much more tests. I got the similar results. Thank for the tip about v-sync. How it's works depends on game, video driver and even game section) On some games i still have 100%. For some reason in quake2 640*480 v-sync OFF i have VERY low CPU usage. With same settings 800*600 already 100%.

ZJo4vvs.jpg

4IFtiME.jpg

YoKJhjq.jpg

7jFPekY.jpg

So, everything is OK 😀