286 motherboard memory issues

Topic actions

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I have this 286 motherboard. It seems to be in good condition except that it seems to have some problems with the memory.

There is supposed to be 1 meg on the board and when I first fire it up (after it's been cold for a while), the first time it will report 702Kb and every single time after a reboot, it will report 640Kb. I have reseated the DIPs (carefully pulled them out the sockets, cleaned the sockets with an anti static brush, and put them back in the same place). Still the same problem. Another thing that happens is that sometimes during the memory check the system will hang.

Now, there are two types of chips on the board; HY534256S-70 and ICM41C256-80. I assume that the HY* chips is the memory and maybe the ICM* chips some sort of controller? Not sure... I can find the HY* chips on Aliexpress for not to much (+-$10 USD and assuming that these are the same eventhough the ones on Aliexpress are called HY534256AS-70). However, the ICM* ones seem to be more difficult to find. Not sure if replacing is the best way to go though? Is there a way I can test if each chip is still OK? There doesn't seem to be any physical damage to board that I can tell/see.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

By the way, pretty much all the chips on the board have a 92* denominator on it. I assume that the board is from around '92/'93?

This is a photo of the chips:
jSmElL8.jpg

Reply 5 of 39, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apart from potential hardware problems, hanging etc, it will report only 640KB if shadowing (or whatever it's called in its BIOS) is enabled 😉 The same way it'll report 3712 with 4MB.
1024KB - 384KB = 640KB

Reply 6 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Eagle eyes!

OK. This is what I will try. I will remove the 4 smaller ones and remove the top bank. If that equates to 512Kb then I will switch out the bank with the ones from the the top bank. If one is kapot, it should equate to less memory reported in either try. If both times it reports 512Kb then there might be a problem with the smaller ones?

PS: I will also run a full memory test for each bank, actually maybe that might help me pin point which one is broken if I can somehow find out which memory address maps to which chip...

Reply 8 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Predator99 It even says "Bank 0" and "Bank 1" on the right hand side... Facepalm... 😀

I will first use the Bank 0 sockets for testing, then do the same tests on Bank 1. Could be that one there is a problem with one of the sockets?

Reply 12 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! That's quite a collection. I see you have an Olivetti board. Awesome. I had two Olivetti's growing up in the early nineties, an M24 (8086) and an Olivetti PC S286, both thrown out by my mother a few years after I moved out of the house. I'm sure you can imagine the shock when I found out...!

I did try 4 x 1meg sticks in my board but it wasn't recognising them either, that's the next thing to focus on once I've sorted out the main memory. Won this board in an eBay auction for $50 USD. Pretty reasonable..., I think... 😀

This board of yours seems to have some similarities to mine:
file.php?id=56932&mode=view
Nice!

Reply 14 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah OK. So you can't use the on-board memory and the simm memory at the same time... The only jumper I can think of that might be eligible for simm memory switch would be JP2 (an open 3 pin header which sits next to the co-processor). I have a manual of a similar board and in that manual that location is JP3 and allows you to select NPU mode synchronous/asynchronous with CPU.

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/U/U … LAND-286GV.html

I'm not sure if that applies to simm memory...

Also, I have since I've taken the photos, installed a 80287 and I noticed that it gets quite hot, even after only 10 mins or so while the other chips (like the main cpu) isn't nearly as hot. Do you happen to know if this is normal?

PS: For completeness, these are my jumpers:

(bottom of the board along the DIP memory)

JP3 - 3 pin, NOMO COLOR (2 & 3 closed)
JP4 - 2 pin, TRSW (closed)
JP5 - 5 pin, KEYLOCK POWER LED (open)
JP? - 2 pin, TR LED (open)
JP7 - 4 pin, SPEAKER (I have a speaker attached)

Then there is:

JP2 - 3 pin, this JP3 in the manual linked (open).

The only other jumper like header is the external battery connector near the keyboard connector.

Reply 16 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah OK. Well, since JP2 (my board) isn't closed at all, I'm not sure what "mode" it's in (it seems to detect the FPU though, I see it during boot). I assume then when a FPU is installed that either of the 2 modes should be selected?

This is the 287 I got, $20 USD (for an allegedly new, it looks new though):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163351190006

It's says: C80287-3, not sure what the "3" refers to, the mhz?

PS: The idea is to fully pimp out this board. Unfortunately it only seems to take up to 4mb, would have loved a 16mb, 16Mhz 286 with an FPU. 😀

Reply 18 of 39, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great! Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated!

Oh, maybe for the simm memory to work, the DIP memory shouldn't be installed, could that be an option? I mean, there doesn't seem to be an explicit jumper.

Reply 19 of 39, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pan069 wrote:

This is the 287 I got, $20 USD (for an allegedly new, it looks new though):

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163351190006

It's says: C80287-3, not sure what the "3" refers to, the mhz?

Beautifully, but ancient FPU! The ceramic / gold casing points really to an old FPU. I also never saw a 3 MHz variant. I think this is more a collector's item. You will easily find an AMD 287 / 8 MHz. They were rather common.

Update: the 80287-3 is indeed the 6 MHz version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X87#/media/File … ntel_C80287.jpg

Which is probably to be used with 8MHz 80286s. The 80287 usually has an internal 2/3 clock divider.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC