First post, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This concept has been mentioned before:
Cheap AT/ATX Test Bench?
Test Bench vs Cardboard Box

There was this case here, With a "Mycom" OEM XP sticker. When I first encountered it, it contained an AMD Duron 1200+. It was not worth keeping, as it had water damage at the bottom and swapping out a harddisk/CD was an annoying procedure. But the metal plating and stampings were pretty solid and good quality.

It almost went away as scrap iron, until I noticed how the AGP/PCI/ISA slot holders would help with "test setups". These setups that tend to assemble themselves under my desk whenever I wonder about how something might run. On top of a card box that is.
For me the main point of a test setup, and likewise a test bench, is good access to the CPU socket or slot. But without a test bench several components are just loose and vulnerable, obviously. So with that in mind, and considering the the construction of the case I decided on the cutting lines and just went ahead with it. First cutting, then grinding flat the sharp edges with the angle grinder flap disc, then deburring edges manually. A few small bits were added: a slanted support near the slots and two bolts at the bottom as additional support legs. See photos below. Most pleased with the result. It did not take too long either. 😀

Attachments

Last edited by gerwin on 2019-02-15, 23:04. Edited 1 time in total.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 1 of 3, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

this is quite handy! now i regret tossing a few beatup ATX cases I had.. the brace is a nice touch!

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 2 of 3, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im using my busted atx case that i have as a test bench, i currently have a intel tc430hx in it, i just got it from ebay for 45 dollars, free shipping, in good shape. I was testing it , like what i always do with motherboards that i get.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 3 of 3, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Windows9566 wrote:

Im using my busted atx case that i have as a test bench, i currently have a intel tc430hx in it, i just got it from ebay for 45 dollars, free shipping, in good shape. I was testing it , like what i always do with motherboards that i get.

A normal PC case on its side wil do just fine. But it has these drive bays which I never use for testing anyways. This is also the situation at the office where mechanical disks and CD-ROM drives have recently been retired: the front part of these cases is empty except for a tiny SSD. Nothing against mechanical drives and CD-ROM storage for retro systems, but at this point they are not part of my retro interest. Maybe later.

Eventually I would like to store away my favorite motherboards with memory, front panel connectors, and a low-profile IDE storage thing with some DOS and Windows ready to go. That would allow me to get systems up and running in no time. Not every motherboard, but at least one for each CPU socket type.
Unfortunately the low-profile IDE SD card adapter that I prefer is no longer offered for sale. It seems 40-pin IDE related adapters and connectors are not available in the same variety as before.

DaveJustDave wrote:

this is quite handy! now i regret tossing a few beatup ATX cases I had.. the brace is a nice touch!

Glad you like it!
Cases take much space, so it ain't a trivial thing to keep them all.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul