VOGONS

First post, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons

I have bought this Geforce 2 gts. But I am not sure if its MSI or Creative.
I know that MSI made boards for Creative, but I am not sure if this is an Creative Annihilator 2 or MSI Starforce 815 version of the card.
IMG-4254.jpg
IMG-4255.jpg
Aida-gf2-32mb.jpg
gf2-gts-32mb.gif

Hope you can help, so I know how to label my card. Its also an unusual board layout with the smc and capacitors, only card I have seen with that layout is from Chaintech.

Also notice the 157MHz memory clock, what is going on here ?

Reply 1 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sticker on the back says creative and it looks like a creative card. Case closed.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 8, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the memory clock is a bit low, should be around 166Mhz IIRC.

Remember, DDR Memory transfers data 2 times for every clock cycle, so the actual clock speed is half of what it is marketed as. For example, a "266Mhz" DDR module only runs at 133 Mhz, but doubles the bandwidth so it has an effective data rate equal to a hypothetical 266Mhz SDR module. Marketing shorted that to 266Mhz DDR which is technically wrong and misleading.

Reply 3 of 8, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Creative cards I have seen from that time were produced in Singapore, MSI cards in Taiwan.

The ID identifies it as a MS-8820 (MSI Geforce 2 GTS 64MB) although it seems to only have 32MB (MS-8815).

My bet would be on it being an MSI card.

Peeling off the stickers on the front of the card might seal the deal.

Last edited by lost77 on 2019-02-16, 14:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 8, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

The sticker on the back says creative and it looks like a creative card. Case closed.

Well, i am not that sure. Despise the sticker, since my other creative cards got another kind of sticker and a "CT" number. Plus they identify as Creative in GPUZ.around 166Mhz IIRC.

Other Creative card:
IMG-4256.jpg
IMG-4257.jpg

Koltoroc wrote:

the memory clock is a bit low, should be
Remember, DDR Memory transfers data 2 times for every clock cycle, so the actual clock speed is half of what it is marketed as. For example, a "266Mhz" DDR module only runs at 133 Mhz, but doubles the bandwidth so it has an effective data rate equal to a hypothetical 266Mhz SDR module. Marketing shorted that to 266Mhz DDR which is technically wrong and misleading.

I think you got it mixed up. The DDR is double as you say, so the effective clock is 157Mhz x 2 = 314Mhz (:

So mine is only 314Mhz compared to the 332Mhz it should be.

Reply 6 of 8, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lost77 wrote:
Creative cards I have seen from that time were produced in Singapore, MSI cards in Taiwan. […]
Show full quote

Creative cards I have seen from that time were produced in Singapore, MSI cards in Taiwan.

The ID identifies it as a MS-8820 (MSI Geforce 2 GTS 64MB) although it seems to only have 32MB (MS-8815).

My bet would be on it being an MSI card.

Peeling off the stickers on the front of the card might seal the deal.

This is where it get confusing, because I have a Geforce 4 Ti4600. From Creative, with the sticker on the fan and all. But the card also have the same stickers as my Geforce 2 gts.

IMG-4259.jpg
IMG-4258.jpg
Creative-Geforce-4-ti4600.gif
Aida-Geforce-4-ti-4600.jpg

All the MSI tell tell signed. MS-XXXX VerXXX number, N1996 ect. Plus it identifices as such, a MSI card.

Where MSI really that sloppy, when they produced cards for Creative ??

Reply 7 of 8, by lost77

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think these card were produced for Creative as such, MSI just had a bunch of cards manufactured and then sold them in retail or OEM or to other vendors that rebranded them.

For the consumer it sucks of they buy a brand they like only to find out it is just a sticker 🙁

Reply 8 of 8, by Skanque

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lost77 wrote:

I don't think these card were produced for Creative as such, MSI just had a bunch of cards manufactured and then sold them in retail or OEM or to other vendors that rebranded them.

For the consumer it sucks of they buy a brand they like only to find out it is just a sticker 🙁

I think you are right. And as a collector it sucks that much more. Since I don't have the boxes, cds ect. that would help to further enhance the "Creative" feeling of the cards.