VOGONS

8BIT ISA SERIAL I/O TO PS2 MOUSE

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 98, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, the simple design is already done--and very well so indeed! I only want to encourage people to also design a super version of it. I sadly can only assemble hardware, and code software. But not design hardware. 🙁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 41 of 98, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no point to this, just an anecdote; This last discussion reminds me of the UMC Multi-I/O + VGA VLB card. It was pretty neat. It was fast. Unfortunately I could not disable the VGA separately, and that led me to eventually swap the card out for S3 graphics and another I/O card.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 42 of 98, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Madowax wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I also recommend adding a header to the card so that the PS/2 connector can be routed to another part of the computer chassis.

That's no problem but the card is going to have its metal bracket with PS/2 port, are you thinking to some particular case that already has a ps/2 port with header? I'm just curious! 😉

Some of my systems have 8 slot AT motherboards in 7 slot ATX cases. On at least one of my systems, all slots are filled except the 8th one which obviously can't be used if the card has a metal bracket.

The brackets are also totally filled in my 5150 and 5160 systems, but both can still accept one ISA card so long as they don't have metal brackets attached. This is because they have rear mounted CF card readers which take a slot bracket but not the actual ISA slot.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 43 of 98, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Some of my systems have 8 slot AT motherboards in 7 slot ATX cases. On at least one of my systems, all slots are filled except the 8th one which obviously can't be used if the card has a metal bracket.

The brackets are also totally filled in my 5150 and 5160 systems, but both can still accept one ISA card so long as they don't have metal brackets attached. This is because they have rear mounted CF card readers which take a slot bracket but not the actual ISA slot.

Ok, I also use atx cases for AT motherboards I totally understand your reasoning, that also leads me to another question, which header do you prefer for ps/2? Asus pin out 2x4 or zida and others 1x5? Since I have to add it let's just add the most used/preferred by the users. 😀

Reply 45 of 98, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree that both would be good.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 46 of 98, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Madowax wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I also recommend adding a header to the card so that the PS/2 connector can be routed to another part of the computer chassis.

That's no problem but the card is going to have its metal bracket with PS/2 port, are you thinking to some particular case that already has a ps/2 port with header? I'm just curious! 😉

Here with both headers:
rH6LRf8.png

Last edited by Madowax on 2019-03-05, 21:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 48 of 98, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested my prototype board with the new Matze79 and Felmar Loyd firmware, drivers and utility and it works perfectly, it supports the 19200 bauds and it detects the mouse wheel. I still have to test wheel functionality.

Reply 49 of 98, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Necromancer's DOS Navigator supports it , give it a shot

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 52 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Will the final product be able to work at 2400 baud with Logitech serial mouse drivers? As you know, Matze79's 19200 baud firmware update can only work with the [modified?] Microsoft Intellipoint mouse drivers in Win 3.x and DOS. Seems that the higher baud rate was needed to please an issue with lag when the mouse is behind KVMs.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 53 of 98, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its just a matter of time until a driver for 9x is patched.
i`m currently trying getting ReactOS Drivers compiled but the SDK is meeh..

its simply the Same Converter just with added Com Port.

Nice work 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 54 of 98, by Madowax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

Will the final product be able to work at 2400 baud with Logitech serial mouse drivers? As you know, Matze79's 19200 baud firmware update can only work with the [modified?] Microsoft Intellipoint mouse drivers in Win 3.x and DOS. Seems that the higher baud rate was needed to please an issue with lag when the mouse is behind KVMs.

Well, firmware 1.1 by matze79 and Felmar Loyd actually supports 1200 and 19200 bps modes only. You can use 1200 baud and every serial mouse driver will work fine, some problems may arise with kvm timings however, in that case you can switch from 1200 to 19200 but in the latter you are actually binded to use matze79 patched drivers, they are available as you know for dos and win3.x, as matze already replied he is working to a win9x version of the drivers, as soon as the driver is ready no other modifications are needed to use it with the adapter, matze79 original one or mine. They are the same. Other baud rates can be added, since there is no problem doing so at a hardware level, but that is a choice of the original firmware developers. It already works pretty good for what I have seen so far.

Reply 55 of 98, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Felmar patched the drivers, guess i try to make a NT4/XP/2K Version currently 😀 ReactOS Driver wont work for 9x
Its just a matter of changing baudrates. (When SDK works.. but wont compile yet..)
But i`m currently suffering from tendovaginitis so guess this will take time.. to heal.

Sorry for misunderstanding i wrote Logitech is always 2400 Baud but in this case its running 1200 Baud.
You always can edit the Part of the Code and change the Rate according to your needs and reflash the firmware.

Last edited by matze79 on 2019-03-19, 07:08. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc

Reply 56 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[edit: our posts crossed. Let me read matze79's reply]

The reason for 2400 baud was for use of Logitech drivers. There are likely people who want to use the adapter on more than just Win3x and Win9x. I'd like to use the adapter with Win NT 3.51, NT4, and possibly W2K. Will the Intellipoint drivers work with these OS's? It could be that Logitech already has 2400 baud drivers for these OSes - hence my interest in 2400 baud adaptions.

I noticed that while behind the KVM, the original Matze79 firmware 1.0 drivers at 1200 baud felt quite a bit faster in DOS compared to the firmware 1.1 drivers at 1200 baud. Do you know why this is? So it seems to me that perhaps the original firmware 1.0 could be tweaked for 2400 baud? And maybe that is sufficient for behind the KVM?

Reply 57 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You always can edit the Part of the Code and change the Rate according to your needs and reflash the firmware.

After the week of torture I went through to patch the firmware, I need to order another MCU before attempting this again.

Tendovaginitis

I hope not in the fingers or wrist...

Are Logitech drivers able to run at 2400 baud if the firmware is flashed to run at 2400 baud? What are the rate options for Logitech serial drivers?

Reply 58 of 98, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

fingers.. pretty bad.. can't solder proberly.. whas already 3 weeks sick now working again for 2 weeks and it comes back 🙁

i will patch and recompile firmware for 2400 baud, so lets try it.

Reply 59 of 98, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

fingers.. pretty bad.. can't solder proberly.. whas already 3 weeks sick now working again for 2 weeks and it comes back :(

i will patch and recompile firmware for 2400 baud, so lets try it.

Patch firmware 1.0 or 1.1?

For me, any type of tendon inflammation takes several months to heal, but only if left relatively undisturbed.