VOGONS

First post, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys
I built myself a Super Fast Win98 rig (socket 775, Core 2 Duo, AGP, Geforce 3) on an ECS P4M800PRO-M motherboard. I had a lot of fun putting that together and getting it working. It is dual boot with 98SE and XP and I am just looking for a Geforce 4 TI 4600 to finish that one off. And an X-FI card - actually I have an Exteme Gamer lying around but it is faulty so I am looking to see if I can fix it when I get chance and save myself £20.

So now.... I thought it would be good fun to try building a stupidly fast XP rig! I did a google search and it appears that Socket 1150 boards with XP drivers do exist though I don't have any specific model numbers to search for availability. But what about 1155 motherboards? I'd like something as fast as I can find and preferably full size ATX. Crossfire or SLI support would also be desirable.

Does a list of such motherboards exist? What are the fastest CPU they would support?

Sorry if this isn't 'retro' enough for you good folks but I believe retro gaming comes in all shades

regards
Rich

Reply 2 of 10, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I just noticed my P8Z68-V mobo does. It's on my 17 windows 10 pc.

The i3 I have at the workshop doesn't which made me think perhaps they didn't

Reply 3 of 10, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Typically there is official INF and SATA driver support for 6-series and 7-series chipsets (both LGA1155 only) provided by Intel for WinXP. Audio/LAN/other onboard peripheral drivers may or may not be available depending on the vendor. Certainly Gigabyte provides downloadable WinXP drivers for everything (except the USB 3.0) on my GA-B75M-D3H motherboard. If the motherboard maker doesn't provide downloads directly, you could try the generic Chipset INF and Rapid Storage driver packages from the Intel site, and whatever Realtek audio/etc drivers from their respective sites.

What may catch you is that Sandy Bridge integrated graphics have official WinXP support & drivers while the Ivy Bridge IGPs don't, but that won't matter if you're planning to use discrete graphics.

EDIT: turns out the USB 3.0 controller built into 7-series chipsets doesn't have WinXP support, either, but according to this they can be repurposed as standard USB 2.0 ports.

Reply 4 of 10, by dicky96

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes I was planning on using discrete graphics and sound. Gigabyte did specifically come up when I googled... So are there any recommendations that support SLI or Crossfire properly?

The P8Z68-V says it supports crossfire and SLI but so does my p5B deluxe but that cobbles it with the second PCI-e running at 4x

Reply 5 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Asus Sabertooth Z77 seems to have quite complete XP support, including drivers for the integrated NIC, USB 3.0, and audio chipset. Checked before, planning to use my current main rig as an XP monster once I replace it. Haven't tested it myself yet though.

Dunno about SLI, but since it was marketed as a gaming/overclocking board, the chances should be good.

Reply 6 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Z390 Dark does support WinXP.

The Z390 DARK features 8 SATA Ports. 2 are supplied by the ASMedia ASM1061, which provides limited Windows XP support* for ultimate benching OS flexibility.

Source : https://www.evga.com/articles/01296/evga-z390 … rk-motherboard/
Fastest CPU it supports at the moment is Core i7 9900k 😉

157143230295.png

Reply 8 of 10, by Nintendawg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Z390 Dark does support WinXP. […]
Show full quote

Z390 Dark does support WinXP.

The Z390 DARK features 8 SATA Ports. 2 are supplied by the ASMedia ASM1061, which provides limited Windows XP support* for ultimate benching OS flexibility.

Source : https://www.evga.com/articles/01296/evga-z390 … rk-motherboard/
Fastest CPU it supports at the moment is Core i7 9900k 😉

See how it has an asterisk after "Windows XP support"? Then it says the asterisk means "Coming soon". I think they are talking only about those 2 non intel sata ports having a WinXP driver. It is a bit misleading.

I think Z77 is a good choice.

Reply 9 of 10, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nintendawg wrote:

See how it has an asterisk after "Windows XP support"? Then it says the asterisk means "Coming soon". I think they are talking only about those 2 non intel sata ports having a WinXP driver. It is a bit misleading.

WinXP installation on Z390 Dark (guide by k|ngp|n) : LINK

157143230295.png