VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't had a proper look through my 486 boards for nearly 10 years now, and I came across this board, and unfortunately I can't remember much about it. Can anyone tell me a little bit about it please? Thanks a lot!

vlb mobo 50pc 93.JPG
Filename
vlb mobo 50pc 93.JPG
File size
1.99 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'not sure what exactly you want to know about it, here are the settings though (edit: blurks beat me to that)
http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/4dms.htm

It looks like a good VLB motherboard features wise, it has a voltage regulator for 3.3v cpus, supports a whopping 1mb cache, has a coin battery, LBA...
Even jumpers with handles to help with jumper hell of these motherboards 🤣

Reply 3 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for both replies. 1MB cache, 128MB RAM (The elhvb site says 64MB), a voltage regulator, and a coin battery are very nice. It supports the Pentium Overdrive, but I wonder, with the most up to date BIOS installed via the flash EEPROM, would it support the AMD 5x86 and Cyrix chips? However, is this unusual when it comes to VLB boards that have no (bridged?) PCI slots? Thanks a lot.

Reply 4 of 6, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it really support 128 MB? A sister motherboard, the Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4, only supports up to 64 MB, although it can accommodate 128 MB. I suspect the performance of the two boards would be similar. The benefit of the Asus board is a working PS/2 mouse port header. I recall the Asus board needing a BIOS update for the Am5x86 to function. Whether the same is true of your board, I don't know. Your boards has a 3rd VLB slot, while the Asus board is limited to 2.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 5 of 6, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, thanks! btw, I was sent this very informative link by someone, it doesn't mention 5x86s, but the sister mobo you mention does share the same chipset, so as you allude, I wonder if a latest BIOS flash would support them?

ftp://retronn.de/docs/chipset/SiS%20471.pdf

Reply 6 of 6, by bbuchholtz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

Interesting, thanks! btw, I was sent this very informative link by someone, it doesn't mention 5x86s, but the sister mobo you mention does share the same chipset, so as you allude, I wonder if a latest BIOS flash would support them?

ftp://retronn.de/docs/chipset/SiS%20471.pdf

Any interest in selling this board? I'm looking for a VLB motherboard.

-Brian