VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I received this unit in the mail yesterday. Since then I've been playing around with it to see what I can make it do.

The machine is in immaculate condition, except for a hairline crack on one of the screen hinges, but it is barely noticeable.

(I will post pictures soon; right now the unit is taken apart on my desk due to cleaning and configuring it to my liking)

Specs:

CPU: Cyrix 486DX4 75 MHz (seems to perform only a little better than a DX2/66)
RAM: 8MB onboard with a 16MB stick added for 24MB total
HDD: Original was 540MB IBM. I put a 2GB CF card in there which I will probably stick with.
Video: CT65545 VGA
Screen: 10" 640x480 TFT
Audio: ESS 1688 (SB Pro II compatible)
Disk drives: Internal CD drive, external floppy drive
Battery: 2800 mAh NiMH pack
Extras: NE2000-compatible Ethernet PCMCIA card with dongle, 56K fax/modem PCMCIA card with dongle

So far I have noticed the following:

• The CPU is in what appears to be a Socket 3 with an extra row on the right side. A standard Intel 486DX/33 plops right in - would it work? I don't want to fry my motherboard, but I'm really itching to see if I can just up and place a real Intel CPU in this thing.
  • The BIOS appears to detect the CF card correctly, although it complains about me not having used what I assume to be IBM's proprietary drive tool to make the partition. I may try a 16 GB card just out of curiosity to see what happens with that, but I'm not expecting much as this unit was probably made before the 8GB limit was broken. A drive overlay might fix that, though. It's kind of hard not having a working floppy or CD drive to boot from, but fortunately I already had DOS installed on my 2GB CF card.
  • The battery appears to work - but the power meter is kind of wonky. The battery will appear to fully charge when you plug it in. But when you try to run it on battery power, it works perfectly, but the power meter begins jumping around in discrete steps: 75%, 50%, 25%, 5% - it will just sort of randomly jump around between these. If it hits 5% for more than about 20 seconds, the auto-suspend feature will kick in and the laptop will go into suspend mode. Last night I tried an experiment in which I just kept on waking it up from suspend, and I couldn't get the battery to ACTUALLY die. It just kept on going. Therefore I suspect the power meter circuitry, but I can't figure out what might be causing that odd behavior.
  • The Trackpoint buttons are a little sketchy. You have to press pretty hard to get them to register. I will see about cleaning them.
  • The CD drive does not appear to work. It won't even spin up; the light just blinks on and off at a constant rate and the drive will not read disks. I wonder whether I can fix this or if I will have to find a new drive. Question: can I replace it with an internal floppy drive, e.g. from a 365X? Or is it a specific interface? For one thing, I know that you can upgrade a 365X with the CD drive from the 365XD. Perhaps a "downgrade" could be accomplished. I'd rather have an internal floppy.
  • When I plugged in the floppy drive I heard the Angry Whine of Death from the stretched-out belt inside. I tried to replace it with a rubber band that I had on hand but it twisted when trying to read a disk. I purchased a new belt online; hopefully that works.
  • The keyboard is VERY NICE. Better than any other Thinkpad I have tried. Other laptop keyboards feel mushy in comparison.
  • The internal speaker (mono) is the crappiest speaker on planet Earth. It's even worse than the little speakers you find in child's toys. I will be replacing it with something else, which I think I can place in the void left by the hard drive after I replaced it with the much smaller CF card.

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's owned/does own one of these.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HOLY CRAP.

The CPU exchange worked!

Turns out it's just a standard Socket 3 desktop socket right there. I can't believe it.

Might not be running at the correct speed, though - running SPEEDTST results in speeds comparable to a 486SX/25 for my DX/33. I wonder if there's a way to change the bus/multiplier settings. There isn't in the BIOS. I'll be trying a DX2/66 next.

The CPU gets slightly warm but not nearly as hot as the Cyrix DX4/75.

Reply 2 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: the 486DX2/66 causes the machine to go into a bootup loop; it reboots right after the memory test every time. I wonder why that would be.

Reply 3 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another update: I have an IBM 5x86C. There is a switch on the motherboard specifically to support this CPU. Guess what upgrade I will be performing soon...

Reply 4 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 5x86 upgrade worked! But it would not run stable at the rated speed of 100 MHz for some reason - I had to clock it down to 83 MHz. Any guesses as to why?

Reply 6 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are some updates since these posts -
http://classictechnology.herokuapp.com/blog/2 … /23_1/23_1.html

Reply 8 of 18, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wait a minute, a laptop with a standard Socket 3 ZIF? I have an HP Pavilion N3350 that has a Socket 7 processor (K6-2+ 550M). I've also seen a guide for the IBM ThinkPad 701C CPU upgrade from the DX4/75 to AMD AM5x86-P75 processor from a broken down Evergreen 586 CPU with not only the full 133MHz (33MHz FSB, 4x multiplier), but with 16KB Level 1 Write-Back cache.

I have a 380D laptop that has the Crystal sound chip and DSTN display. Wish I can find a good ThinkPad with a 688F chipset and either a 486 CPU or Pentium that's in better shape than the ones being sold on eBay, or I can upgrade the laptop display from DSTN to TFT Active Display and a docking station for it. If the docking station for the 380D had/has an ISA slot, I would install a Sound Blaster 16 card or compatible.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 9 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was really surprised that it was a standard Socket 3. I never thought I'd find a desktop socket in a laptop!

I kind of wish that I could get the 5x86 to run at 100 MHz though. There is a setting for it, but it's unstable. I have to set it to 83. Funny because the chip itself is rated for 100.

Reply 10 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone know how I can upgrade the RAM beyond 24 MB for this machine?

I am coming to the painful conclusion that it really is only good for DOS/WFW 3.11, unless I can upgrade the RAM. Windows 95 runs, yes, but it does not run very well because I can't really multitask, and if I (for example) try to open a large document in MS Word, it delves into the swapfile and begins to churn like a snail.

I got some 32 MB sticks of RAM for it, but I don't think I really know what I'm doing, as they are the right form factor but they don't work; it will not boot with one of those installed. I would be getting 40 megs that way, if it worked.

Reply 11 of 18, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Appologies for the bump, but are your memory sticks the right type of memory? If its the same board as the 365XD, it should be working with 40MB. I can't test anything since I ended up scrapping my unit sadly (upgraded to an R30 instead), but did keep the RAM, HDD and CDROM. I'm not sure if it'd work with EDO memory, thats what mine took.

Reply 12 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No problem, I appreciate the help!

As far as I know it is the right type. I got 32 MB EDO sticks in the right form factor so they fit in the slot. They appear identical to the 16 MB stick that's already in there, except with more chips obviously.

I have no idea if it's the same board as the 365XD. I would be surprised if it wasn't.

There are switches on the RAM card, however, that are supposed to set the size of the RAM you have inserted. But they don't appear to do anything, and there isn't an option for 32 MB anyway.

Reply 14 of 18, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to resurrect an old thread keenmaster486, but quick question/thought. Do you think a POD 83 would work on this motherboard? Again, just a crazy though. =)

Reply 15 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2Mourty wrote on 2021-06-12, 15:07:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread keenmaster486, but quick question/thought. Do you think a POD 83 would work on this motherboard? Again, just a crazy though. =)

Good question, I would not be surprised if it did! The 5x86 did work.

Reply 16 of 18, by 2Mourty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sweet. I'm going to redouble my efforts to find one of these laptops that is working. I think it would be the last thinkpad I need for my thinkpad collection that I never meant to have =)

Reply 17 of 18, by MetalZoupa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where did you get drivers for the 365cd? I can barely find anyone online that has used this computer and I am having a heck of a time finding any useful drivers or configuration files. I can find the 365x driver page, but the only driver that is useful from here is the audio driver from what I can tell.

EDIT: also as far as your issues with RAM, from the service manual it seems that up to the ED model, the 365 only supports 24 MB. The X and 🤣 expanded the max to 40mb. This seems to be confirmed as my 365x works with a 32mb but the 365cd will not recognize it.

Last edited by MetalZoupa on 2021-07-29, 15:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 18, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With this machine, I may have had to find drivers piecemeal based on the hardware that's actually in it. I have since switched to the 365X in any case.