VOGONS

First post, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While flashing it started failing writing blocks, I suspect a bad floppy disk. Didn’t find any jumper settings to get into a recovery mode. Anyone have any ideas on if this can be saved?

Reply 2 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When the motherboard BIOS is corrupted to the point that the board no longer boots up, you need to remove the BIOS chip and use another device to rewrite the BIOS EEPROM properly.
There are several devices that be used to rewrite a BIOS EEPROM:
- External EEPROM programmer.
- Hot Flashing using another motherboard with the same BIOS socket: Guide. Warning: Be careful with this.
- Use a Network Card with EEPROM socket on another computer. Never tried this myself..

Software for DOS: Uniflash

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 16, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
When the motherboard BIOS is corrupted to the point that the board no longer boots up, you need to remove the BIOS chip and use […]
Show full quote

When the motherboard BIOS is corrupted to the point that the board no longer boots up, you need to remove the BIOS chip and use another device to rewrite the BIOS EEPROM properly.
There are several devices that be used to rewrite a BIOS EEPROM:
- External EEPROM programmer.
- Hot Flashing using another motherboard with the same BIOS socket: Guide. Warning: Requires skill and attention.
- Use a Network Card with EEPROM socket on another computer. Never tried this myself..

It does try to access the floppy before it starts freaking out, I’ve read that some AMI BIOS could be reflashed in that case.

Thanks for the info

Last edited by renz20003 on 2019-03-17, 13:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You're welcome.

It does try to access the floppy before it starts freaking out, I’ve read that some AMI BIOS could be reflagged in that case.

I don't know what reflagging is..

I hotflashed some BIOS chips yesterday. One other tip I can give, is to put a bit of ribbon cable (like 7cm in length) underneath the EEPROM before inserting it into the socket. This way it is easy to remove an EEPROM.

UniFlash can be found here: http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash/

Reply 5 of 16, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote:
You're welcome. […]
Show full quote

You're welcome.

It does try to access the floppy before it starts freaking out, I’ve read that some AMI BIOS could be reflagged in that case.

I don't know what reflagging is..

I hotflashed some BIOS chips yesterday. One other tip I can give, is to put a bit of ribbon cable (like 7cm in length) underneath the EEPROM before inserting it into the socket. This way it is easy to remove an EEPROM.

UniFlash can be found here: http://www.rainbow-software.org/uniflash/

*Reflashed.

Ever have any luck with a usb EEPROM burner?

Reply 6 of 16, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
renz20003 wrote:

Ever have any luck with a usb EEPROM burner?

That is the most proper way. But I don't have any such device myself.

Reply 10 of 16, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gbeirn wrote:

Got a link to the BIOS or can attach it here? I should be able to burn one and drop it in the mail tomorrow.

https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/chaintech/6Z69KC3A

Your sir are a gentleman and a scholar

For whatever reason I can’t send Pm’s

Reply 11 of 16, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think you need a minimum of 10 posts.

I can't figure out how to use that site to download, it wants me to buy some program. With some googling I found 6btm0505.bin as the most recent so I downloaded and will burn that for you.

Reply 12 of 16, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gbeirn wrote:

I can't figure out how to use that site to download, it wants me to buy some program. With some googling I found 6btm0505.bin as the most recent so I downloaded and will burn that for you.

That should work

Reply 13 of 16, by renz20003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gbeirn wrote:

I saw your pm but it will not let me reply, either need more posts or the mods haven’t enabled it yet

Reply 15 of 16, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Possible word of caution - do you know your board revision as some of the later bioses don't support Coppermine on early revisions. According to Chaintech it looks like anything below revision E is out for Coppermine support with the later bioses and some at E and above are only with specific board IC support

Intel Coppermine CPU supported model listing […]
Show full quote

Intel Coppermine CPU supported model listing

This table just offer old chipset for Coppermine CPU support.

6BTM - E / F / G / H / J / K version full support, L / M / N version support only with HIP6004BCB ( U9 )

6btm_u9.jpg
Filename
6btm_u9.jpg
File size
61.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also, there is a later bios revision https://web.archive.org/web/20020215082007/ht … MB/6BTM0817.EXE

08/17/00 Please don't use Coppermine CPU after update this BIOS on C/D version ! Changes made in this update: •Support EON 29f0 […]
Show full quote

08/17/00
Please don't use Coppermine CPU after update this BIOS on C/D version !
Changes made in this update:
•Support EON 29f002nt flash ROM.
•Update micro code.

Last edited by PC Hoarder Patrol on 2020-05-30, 19:31. Edited 1 time in total.