A brief comparison of 386 FPUs

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 148, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JohnBourno wrote on 2022-03-22, 12:58:

What is interesting, is that without a FPU Duke Nukem 3d sometimes gets slowed down significantly. It drops from 20 frames per second to 7 fps in some scenes. Turns out that Duke3D uses floating point operations for rendering slopes. So without an FPU every time you have some slopes in your viewports the CPU has to do all the extra work and the game gets almost unplayable. Just by adding a IIS FPU the fps only drop to 15 instead of 7. So quite playable.

90MHz NexGen Nx586 drops down to 10fps on first screen with sloped roof for that very reason:
https://youtu.be/41O2bNG2qKA?t=234

Im sure today someone could come up with a faster integer/lookup table method of calculating those slopes.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 121 of 148, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Next time I find/boot my U5S CPU, I should try it out on DN3D with one of the 387 emulators see if there's a speed boost.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 122 of 148, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So... here is an update.
My 387DX FPU collection has increased by a lot.
All overclocked to the max (up to 55MHz). Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zvisa_-uEqI

Attachments

• nailFPU.jpg
    Filename
    nailFPU.jpg
    File size
    484.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com

Reply 123 of 148, by Ailicec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the 4x4 instruction.. you load the 4x4 transformation matrix into alternate register sets, then leave them resident while you load the fairly small 4x1 vector. Typically the transformation matrix is reused many times, so this saves a huge amount of communication overhead. For the time, a very big win. You also presumably (I haven't tried it) get a pretty good chunk of time that the FPU is busy and you might be able to do something useful with the integer unit. Easier than trying to work in a couple int instructions in between normal FPU instructions.

Often you can get away with a 3x3 matrix for 3d graphics, which would be a bit faster, but they didn't support that.

A downside.. Operating systems don't know about it, so they don't save the extra register sets. It didn't matter much at the time.

Deunan wrote on 2021-04-27, 08:44:

Personally I see one big problem with the 4x4 operation - it needs all the data to be fed to FPU and then the results be read back. AFAIR you need to start with empty stack, use IIT-specific stack extension instructions, and some of the input arguments are over-written to store the result. This, coupled with the rather slow CPU-NPU comm channel, limits the usefulness of such instructions. Weitek worked around that by having their NPU register space memory-mapped, at the cost of even lower compatibility with typical x87 code.

Long story short: It took MMX to finaly have some direct access to FPU register space, and even that was flawed due to cost of switching between MMX and x87 modes. SSE finally made FPU on x86 family somewhat saner by today's standards.

Reply 124 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m going to be building a 386 er ‘486’ system soon. And using the texas instruments sxl2 66 on the new interposer.

And was wondering what the best fpu to pair with it would be.

This will be the slowest system that I have ever built. So it will be kinda fun new territory for me.

I’ll have to post the exact mobo model later as I can’t seem to remember it, but I think it is a shuttle hot with 16 isa and 8 bit isa. I seem to recall it having a AMD-40 soldered on and a witek socket as well as a cpu upgrade socket

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 125 of 148, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For up to 40-45MHz base frequency that will be a combination of Weitek Abacus 3167 + Cyrix FasMath (gray top) or ULSI DLC.
Where ULSI is faster in Quake 1 only and Fasmath at everything else.
At 50mhz base you will most likely be going with Cyrix Fasmath (black top) or ULSI DLC. No idea is 3167 can manage that speed.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 126 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The sxl2-66 cpu might be operating at as much as 80 mhz

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 128 of 148, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-15, 04:08:
I’m going to be building a 386 er ‘486’ system soon. And using the texas instruments sxl2 66 on the new interposer. […]
Show full quote

I’m going to be building a 386 er ‘486’ system soon. And using the texas instruments sxl2 66 on the new interposer.

And was wondering what the best fpu to pair with it would be.

This will be the slowest system that I have ever built. So it will be kinda fun new territory for me.

I’ll have to post the exact mobo model later as I can’t seem to remember it, but I think it is a shuttle hot with 16 isa and 8 bit isa. I seem to recall it having a AMD-40 soldered on and a witek socket as well as a cpu upgrade socket

For x2 CPU I'd use the x2 FPU - like ULSI 66 or IIT 50.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 130 of 148, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sphere, a run of the mill black-top Cyrix FasMath at 40 Mhz is your best bet for an SXL2 at 80 Mhz. There is only benefit in the ULSI DX2-66 if you are running your SXL2 at 66 MHz. I doubt the ULSI DX2 can do 80 MHz.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 131 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the intended motherboard

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 132 of 148, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice forex.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 133 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the ulsi dx2 is faster but can’t do 80mhz

So a 40mhz black top is the fastest option for a overclocked sxl2

but a stock speed sxl2 the fastest would be ulsi dx2?

What would be the fastest overall combo?

Ulsi and sxl2 at 75 mhz?

I’m going for maximum upgrade here.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 134 of 148, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think it best to forget about the ULSI DX2-66. This FPU takes rare to a new level. Even if the ULSI DX2-66 ran at 75 MHz, which is doubtful, an SXL2 system at 80 MHz coupled with a Cyrix FasMath at 40 Mhz will be faster.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 135 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And it will for sure work in that mobo? It says witek?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 136 of 148, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got one of these correct one?

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 138 of 148, by galanopu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-17, 18:03:

Got one of these correct one?

Check again my last video.
Assuming testing at the same clock, the fastest FPU is the Cyrix -KN.
No question about that. This one is a bit rare though.

Now benches are nice but in practice a 387 FPU are a bit pointless these days.
Games that need one, just run to slowly with a system of this class.
CAD programs are just too old and pointless.

So in the end a 5% difference in FPU performance, you will not really notice.
And the Cyrix you got is also a good one.

Let's mod everything! Check my youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ6ULBqIKhxuNslAbqFNJUg
Interested in my devices? Check my store:
https://migronelectronics.bigcartel.com

Reply 139 of 148, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The "KN" is the older design with the grey top, right? Don't those have compatibility issues with Cyrix's own SLC/DLC CPUs?
How about a CX83D87-40HP? Those are also very rare. I assume the only difference over the standard black top is just the packaging...but has anyone every benched one?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium