VOGONS

First post, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This appears to be one of the last (Baby) AT mobos ever manufactured.
It was equipped with the Intel 810 chipset, supporting Pentium 3 Tualatin up to 1400MHz out of the box.
It was manufactured (at least) until late 2002, long after other manufacturers stopped producing AT class mobos.
Read the data sheet of the board here.

It seems to be quite rare to find nowadays, as it apparently was aimed at the CIS/Russian market as upgrade option for old AT class computers. Maybe it is for this reason that most information on it in the Web seems to be Russian, and most, if not all sellers on the popular internet auction site are from former CIS countries.

According to this source it was sold by various labels, among these PCPartner, Supergrace, Aska, Vtech and HIS. There are others as well, like Rhino.

Part numbers as known by now:
Rhino: 810S-BCE
Supergrace: SG810-BAT3L(T)
(Note: do not confuse with the easily-to-find ATX variant which has MATX instead of BAT in the type)

It is very important to be aware of the fact that these boards were sold with two different clock generators, ICS 9248 and ICW W195BH (see note.txt accompanied to the BIOS files found here in the SG810-BAT3L(T) subdirectory), as one must make sure (s)he flashes the correct BIOS.
Furthermore one must be aware that according to the source abovementioned, there are two variants of the mobo, one (older) lacking the voltage regulator circuitry for Tualatin, and a newer one which is explicitly marked with "Tualatin ready" stickers on the slots (see photos below).

Interestingly, there exist two BIOSes, Award and Phoenix. So it looks like one can pick the one (s)he prefers.
They might have differences, though, as the Phoenix BIOS has some problems, like not booting from SCSI if video card with too much memory (64MB) is installed.

First some pictures of the Rhino variant:

DSCN9383.jpg

Rhino 810S-BCE

DSCN9386.jpg

Rhino 810S-BCE "Tualatin ready" sticker

DSCN9639.jpg

Rhino 810S-BCE BIOS chip
(Sorry for bad photo. The label reads "Phoenix Bios D686 BIOS (c) Phoenix 1998 088341619"

DSCN9388.jpg

Rhino 810S-BCE PCB date code

Some photos of the Supergrace variant:

DSCN9621.jpg

SG810-BAT3L(T)

DSCN9622.jpg

SG810-BAT3L(T) "Tualatin ready" sticker

DSCN9640.jpg

SG810-BAT3L(T) BIOS chip

DSCN9624.jpg

SG810-BAT3L(T) PCB date code

The aim of this thread is to collect all information about this interesting mobo.
Setting up a manuals, BIOS and driver library would be nice, as there is very little information on this board, dispersed widely on the internet, most of it probably in Russian and Chinese.

So, if you have any information about this mobo, please add it here.

Reply 2 of 7, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

is this board going into a HP oscilloscope?

Were these boards used in HP oscilloscopes??

The reason why I bought these boards was to upgrade my IBM 5170 to the biggest CPU possible in an AT form factor.
Slockets don't work there because they would conflict with the drive bay, so slotted CPU boards were out of the question.

Last edited by retardware on 2019-03-29, 02:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

never-mind then. on another thread someone was looking for a socket 370 AT motherboard and it was the core of an HP oscilloscope. (upgrade from socket 7)

Those caps are cheap Chinese shit. Replace them all is the way to go.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 7, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Deksor might be interested in the images and ROM dumps as well.
As said above, these boards are supplied with either Phoenix or Award BIOSes, which both work.
Personal choice which you prefer.

Attachments

Reply 5 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot !
It seems to be one of these board https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards … ufacturerId=207

I think @evasive knows more about them than I.

Could you please take a picture without the watermark ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 7, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2021-11-10, 20:09:

Great info and resources!
I tried ultimateretro yesterday, searched for AT+Socket370, didn't find any. My mistake, it is Baby AT 🤦

By the way, I read there is/was a discussion about Javascript on ultimateretro.
I looked at the page source and found it clean, no Javascript.
Very good! This makes the pages perfectly archiveable.

If you add Javascript, please make sure it does not affect page loading/rendering etc, so archiving/usage of archived pages will not be affected negatively.
This is such a sad pest, this fancy Javascript which renders so many archived pages useless.
So I like your conservative stance regarding this.

Deksor wrote on 2021-11-10, 20:09:

Could you please take a picture without the watermark ?

One board is stuck deep into a fully equipped IBM 5170 case 😢 I'll take photos when I need to disassemble the computer, but don't know yet when this might happen.
The other board (with the bad caps) is in the stash, for this one I will do soon when making my next photo session.

Reply 7 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you have two identical boards, and the other one has bad caps, it doesn't matter, just shoot the picture of the other board 😀
You don't need to have a working motherboard to make a good picture, as long as it's complete it should be ok.

For the JS, it's possible that we change direction at some point, but it shouldn't prevent archival because I don't plan to hold all the data for myself, it's not even mine to begin with. I just want to avoid a TH99 scenario with tens of static clones on the web making the search for the correct information harder and having one of the most despicable clone being the most popular for some reason (stason.org).
I have no idea when this change will happen or it it'll even happen though. We'll see over time ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative