VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
do someone know how videocards outputs are working by design, if its safe to remove them (just cut connector in the middle, without fancy soldering etc) or did someone tried it?

I just need it for to make some videocards only 1 slot - thick, someone some have only 1 slots cooler, but because of bracket and some output(s) on it, there are eating 2 slots. Some cards have 2 slots cooler, but there are alternative coolers and other of them are 1 slot, of 1 slot+1slot above the cards - which could be better for some MBs.

Im not 100% sure, but i thing that i saw outputs cutting in some LinusTechTips video and it worked fine with new cards.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 6, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean, hitting the card with a nice heavy ball-peen will reduce the maximum temperature it can reach too.

Seriously though, wantonly snipping off connectors without really knowing electrically what you're doing is a recipe for disaster. Short the wrong pins and bye bye computer, hello magic smoke. If you're not planning on getting a soldering iron in there to clean up the mess that cutting makes, don't cut.

Reply 2 of 6, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure? These are optimal output ports if nothing is connected video card computer works.. are Voltage and Current used for these connector significant?

Of course is always better to not cross any wire, which are not crossed during normal state.. I never opened these DVI / DSU-B / HDMI / Displayport "necks" for slot connector, so i dunno how they look inside.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really only one way to fine out 🤣 .

It seems like it would be fine. To be extra safe, you might put some epoxy or something on the exposed wire after you cut. Also make sure to get out any metal flakes or you'll risk a short.

Reply 4 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have swapped my 6800 Ultra for a single slot bracket. But it has all the ports in the same slot as the card. The 2nd slot was just blank.
I also have single slot coolers for it, but haven't mounted it yet. I'll do that when the fan dies probably and keep very close eye on temperatures.

I would be too scared to try cutting cards through!

Reply 5 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're only cutting top connector off a stacked connector (i.e two DVI thing) and make sure no pin is left shorted on the stub that remains of top connector then things should be fine. Cutting into the PCB itself will not work out at all.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 6, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Livestream the first power-up on YouTube.

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium