VOGONS

First post, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i have this cool VLB mainboard with it's nice compability, 3v,4v,5v. 30pin, 72pin ram etc.

But i have it installed in a desktop AT case, and as i don't have super long floppy cables, my 5.25" floppy is detected as drive a: and the 3.5" as drive b:

Problem: The installed bios has no floppy-swap feature 🙁

Is it possible to flash another bios ? i think it has an award bios, could i flash an amibios and hope for the best? (or vice versa).
Can i take any bios from a board that has the same chipset ? It's a UMC 8498F

Elhvb says:

- AMI/AWARD Auto-Detect Flash Bios with Energy Mgmt.

soooo.....

any advice or clarifications?

More info on the board:
http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/m912v17.htm

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 1 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you make a backup of the current bios ? I have boards with AMI bios, so yours interest me ^^

I'm not sure the Ami bios lets you do that though. Have you tried a piece of software called "boot_b" ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 12, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Put a mechanical switch to swap the A and B drive post and just boot.
Quite some BIOSes were able to boot, no matter which kind of drive was installed.

Reply 4 of 12, by Phreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think it's easier to just swap the bios instead of disassembling cables ^^

i'll try to backup the bios, perhaps i got time today. What exact eproms are used? i got some 512k 256k, 1mbit etc.

ArGUS Parts list: http://bit.ly/2Ddf89V

Reply 6 of 12, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just modify the cable.

What I would do is pull the B: connector off, add a twist in the cable before where it went, and put a new connector on. It sounds like your middle connector is the 3.5" drive, so you just need an IDC 34-pin female connector. You can get those from Digikey or Ebay or wherever.

I like to use (e.g.) Wurth pn# 61203423021 because they're pretty easy to stick on the cable, they stay put once installed, and have an optional cable strain relief you can pop onto the top. I usually use my finger nail to push a few conductors through the IDC, then put the housing together and use a pair of pliers with a wide jaw and flat ends to compress the connector on. Use some paper towels or a cloth to prevent marring the surface too much (though a little is normal and won't hurt anything). Alternatively, you can actually install these completely by hand, it just takes a while.

Voila. A cable with the connectors you need where you need them. FYI, I've had pretty good luck re-using the card-edge connectors for 5.25" drives, but the 3.5" connectors tend to lose their pins when you take them apart. I consider those single-use. Luckily, they're easy to source.

Reply 11 of 12, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw, you're missing out! Until you start making your own, you just don't know the joys of right-length cables, with the conductors sliced into groups of 8 or so and zip-tied into a "rounded" cable. It makes cable management so.. SO.. much easier. 😀

I like Baby AT or micro ATX cases, and tend to stuff a lot of hardware in them. My 486 and Pentium builds each have ribbon cables to the floppy, IDE HDD, separate IDE channel for the CD-ROM, and SCSI to a ZIP drive. Despite all of that, it's neat and tidy, and I can actually see the CPU fans without the PC's entrails spewing out everywhere. 😁