VOGONS

First post, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have come across a number of LGA 775 CPUs and would like to know which one I should use for a WinXP gaming PC. So far my options are:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8400 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 630 supporting HT Technology (2M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 561 supporting HT Technology (1M Cache, 3.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 (6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 530J supporting HT Technology (1M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Do keep in mind that most of the games I plan on running wont be able to take advantage of more than 1-2 cores, so single core performance is preferred. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Looking ad benchmarks on cpu-world, it appears that the Core 2 Duo is the much faster choice for single threaded applications. Can anyone second this?

Last edited by TheMLGladiator on 2019-04-21, 13:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

E8500 will give you far better performance and lower power consumption than any P4-based CPU. It will also easily outperform the Q8400 due to higher clockspeed and more L2 cache, all at a lower power consumption. And the extra cores of the Q8400 won't be of any use on anything you want to run on Windows XP. And just in case you want to overclock, the E8500 should hit about 4 GHz on stock voltage (so without drastically affecting power consumption).

Reply 3 of 6, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, Core 2 Quad is better for the last hurrah of LGA775, even some modern games (though Apex Legends can't run due to instruction set limitations, a line in the sand that is likely to get deeper.

Core 2 Duo runs rings around the P4 while using less power, much better IPC so it doesn't need the higher clock speed to beat the P4.

Of course, with some chipsets, they cannot go any higher than P4, like my sad old 915 chipset system

Reply 4 of 6, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were some XP-ish games that had pretty good multi-core support. A lot of Xbox 360/PS3 ports were written that way. Prince of Persia 2008 is a good example, I switched from a C2D to a Q9300 (2.4GHz, 6MB) and saw some improvements.

That said, an E8500 is also a good choice. Really neither of those would be "wrong."

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 5 of 6, by TheMLGladiator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Matth79 wrote:

Of course, with some chipsets, they cannot go any higher than P4, like my sad old 915 chipset system

I noticed this about half of the possible boards that I found for this project. Many of them only support the Pentium 4/Celeron lineups. This would have been a step down from what I am currently using for Windows XP gaming.

Reply 6 of 6, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was using a pentium-4 dual core and WinXP was very sluggish.
I Up graded to a Core-2-quad Q9300 and performance greatly improved.
I previously had XP running on an HP z800 with dual quad core Xeon for a total of 8 cores and 16 threads.
Even though the games will not support more than 2 cores XP can benefit from the cpu load with a quad core cpu.